PDA

View Full Version : WinUAE sound not quite right

LowercaseE
28th January 2007, 21:31
I've always noticed that the sound emulation in WinUAE lags a bit behind the video time wise. It's not a MAJOR problem, per se, but it can get rather annoying when playing fast paced games like Pinball Dreams or something and having the sounds occur a noticeable amount of time after the ball hits something. Is there any way to get it more in sync? If not, it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice.

AlexJ
28th January 2007, 21:34
Think it's something to do with the sound buffer - try reducing it (Options: Host,Sound,Sound Buffer Size). Mine's set at 3 (120ms) and I don't notice a delay.

LowercaseE
28th January 2007, 21:51
Think it's something to do with the sound buffer - try reducing it (Options: Host,Sound,Sound Buffer Size). Mine's set at 3 (120ms) and I don't notice a delay.

Just tried it and it worked great! Thanks for the advice. It was set at 4 default so I moved it to 3 and walla! Wonder why it's set so "off" to begin with. Maybe for slower machines?

AlexJ
28th January 2007, 22:51

Just tried it and it worked great! Thanks for the advice. It was set at 4 default so I moved it to 3 and walla! Wonder why it's set so "off" to begin with. Maybe for slower machines?

Suppose it must be - better to have perfect sound that's a bit slow (perhaps not even noticable for some people) than stuttering sound at the right time.

Harrison
29th January 2007, 13:54
I think it depends on the sound card/sound processor in the PC being used, as to which setting is best for the WinUAE sound buffer size.

Some sound cards just have different ways of processing the audio data so reducing the buffer will just mean smaller chunks of audio data are processed before being passed to the audio processor for output. The lag is caused when a larger buffer takes too long to process.

LowercaseE
29th January 2007, 14:27
I was reading on the WinUAE site and they recommend a setting of 3 or higher. Even at 3 there is a very small amount of lag (120ms to be exact) but it's BARELY noticable, and probably only then if you're specifically looking for it. There are also settings of 1 (50ms) and 2 (70ms) but I have yet to try them. Maybe later when I get home from work.

Submeg
1st February 2007, 03:30
I had that problem too back in the early days....that's why with each game that I played regularly I made config file for each, as some games needed more tweaking than others.

LowercaseE
1st February 2007, 12:25
I've now found that Pinball Dreams has choppy play/sound with the buffer set to 3 so I took a chance and set it to 2 and it works great. I guess it's kind of a crap shoot depending on the game. A setting of 4 or higher seems to work good for anything but for fast paced games the lag can get annoying.

Harrison
1st February 2007, 14:25
Out of interest, what speed is the PC you are running WinUAE on?

LowercaseE
1st February 2007, 14:55
Out of interest, what speed is the PC you are running WinUAE on?

It's an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with 1GB of RAM and a 256MB Radeon video card. I've got to imagine that's plenty fast to run it.

Harrison
1st February 2007, 15:00
Definitely. Was just wondering as I've had no sound problems with WinUAE on more recent PCs. The last one I had any sound issues on was a Pentium 2 PC.

Agram
7th April 2007, 13:16
Definitely. Was just wondering as I've had no sound problems with WinUAE on more recent PCs. The last one I had any sound issues on was a Pentium 2 PC.

Have you tried Fire & Brimstone? I have audio before the visual action in that game when I view the recording.

Harrison
10th April 2007, 16:11
No I haven't. I will give it a go when I get a chance and let you know what I find.