PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for classicWB GAAE

Harrison
9th October 2008, 12:51
Having used the classicWB GAAE setup on my A600 I've been very impressed with the configuration. It is much better than the setup I used to be using on my A600's HD.

However because it is based on the other more advanced WB3 based classicWB setups it is missing a few things found in the packages for the AGA machines, and sometimes you might find something doesn't quite work correctly.

Therefore if you have suggestions for the GAAE version of ClassicWB please post them here.

woody.cool
9th October 2008, 12:55
Is it possible to find an old Scalos version that works with WB2.0?

Harrison
9th October 2008, 12:55
I will start things off myself with a couple of suggestions.

Multiview

Firstly most WHDLoad installs in the KGWHD packs include readme and manual files. These are all setup to load in Multiview. However Multiview is a WB3+ only utility so when you try to open them in the GAAE setup on an A600 it can't find the utility and you get an error.

I've been looking on Aminet and there seem to be some Multiview replacements available that work with WB2.04+. I'm going to give these a try later and if one of them looks good enough I will give details here and suggest it should be included in the next version of the GAAE package.

Floppy drive no click utility

I don't know if it is just my A600, but the anticlick utility included with ClassicWB GAAE doesn't stop my A600's floppy drive from clicking.

There are a number of other no click utilities available on Aminet so I'm going to try them out and see if any work for my A600. I will post details once I've tested them.

woody.cool
9th October 2008, 13:07
Multiview

Firstly most WHDLoad installs in the KGWHD packs include readme and manual files. These are all setup to load in Multiview. However Multiview is a WB3+ only utility so when you try to open them in the GAAE setup on an A600 it can't find the utility and you get an error.
There's a WB1.3 and above compatible version of AmigaGuide, which came on the AmigaOS developement kit CD. I can supply if required.

I've been looking on Aminet and there seem to be some Multiview replacements available that work with WB2.04+. I'm going to give these a try later and if one of them looks good enough I will give details here and suggest it should be included in the next version of the GAAE package.
Proabably a better idea than just plain ol' AmigaGuide

Floppy drive no click utility

I don't know if it is just my A600, but the anticlick utility included with ClassicWB GAAE doesn't stop my A600's floppy drive from clicking.

There are a number of other no click utilities available on Aminet so I'm going to try them out and see if any work for my A600. I will post details once I've tested them.
Some floppy drives don't quite work with no click utilities. On my drive in my A600 (before it got replaced with a new drive due to failure), all anti-click utilities did, was make the clicking quieter, not stop it completely.

Also, yet again - WB2 version of Scalos?

Bloodwych
9th October 2008, 16:47
Yes, the GAAE version is behind some of the other packs, but that's because I started from scratch using Paul's setup and didn't want to alter his choices too much. It will get development time when I get around to it. :)

Hmmmm. I thought I'd handled the Multiview issue by renaming AmigaGuide executable "MultiView". Must have forgot! Just clone AmigaGuide and rename it MultiView - that will solve the problem. I may find a replacement as you said for the next release.

That's how I handled all those third party viewers messing up my other ClassicWB packs. I replaced the old reader executables (eg more) with a renamed MultiView, so they always opened in a nice standard window.

The drive clicking - yes I'll replace that with another utility if we can confirm it's better than AntiClick, which is only 198 bytes!!!!!

Scalos is only for Workbench 3.0+, and would be quite slow on a 68000 as well I'd imagine. :(

woody.cool
9th October 2008, 18:20
Scalos is only for Workbench 3.0+, and would be quite slow on a 68000 as well I'd imagine. :(
I can understand that, I've just got quite used to Scalos now.

Harrison
9th October 2008, 18:33
Are there any similar alternatives to Scalos that are WB2+?

Bloodwych
9th October 2008, 18:38
I can understand that, I've just got quite used to Scalos now.

So have I. Can't use an Amiga without it if it's available. It is a shame, as it would also make my job easier as I could just port everything across!

There is not an alternative to Scalos for WB2 and 68000's. It's basically a better OS running on top of Workbench.

By the way, the next ClassicWB releases are going to have some great new features, including a proper bootmenu with the option of going straight into KillerGorilla's fullscreen WHDload launcher!

Harrison
9th October 2008, 18:40
By the way, the next ClassicWB releases are going to have some great new features, including a proper bootmenu with the option of going straight into KillerGorilla's fullscreen WHDload launcher!

That sounds really nice. Looking forward to seeing that.

woody.cool
9th October 2008, 19:12
NICE:D

Harrison
9th October 2008, 20:11
Not sure if this is a bug or not. When I setup GAAE on my A600 I chose the more standard Blue/Grey colour scheme instead of the Green one. However when the system boots the colours a messed up and using a green/red/blue colour scheme. If I then open the palette preferences the palette automatically switches to the correct one and everything looks OK.

However if I then save the palette and reboot it loses it again and everything is red/green/blue again until I open the palette preferences again.

Any ideas why the correct colour scheme is not already loaded when the system boots?

Bloodwych
9th October 2008, 22:51
Hmmmm, it sounds more like a compatibility issue with 3.1 ROMS and Workbench 2.1.

I've not come across this. I'll try it in WinUAE with 3.1 ROMS....

EDIT

...yes that happens with Workbench 2.1 and 3.1 ROMS. I'm not sure how to solve this. You are having a right adventure with this A600! I bet you're getting frustrated now!

I do have that 68000 version of the ClassicWB LITE available, but hopefully you'll be able to change a few files or settings to get around the issue. Experiment in WinUAE.

Harrison
9th October 2008, 23:03
I've now found a nice replacement for Multiview that works with WB2.04+

It is called "2b_mv_os2" or "OS 2.0+ Multiview replacement" to give its complete name.

It can be found at http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/2b_mv_os2

I've tried it out on my A600 and it works perfectly. Hope that is useful.

Harrison
9th October 2008, 23:08
You are having a right adventure with this A600! I bet you're getting frustrated now!

Well... it gets a bit frustrating when something doesn't work, but that is all part of the adventure. If it all worked perfectly first time we would never learn anything new and find out something new about a system we have been using for many years.

Before I decided to upgrade my A600 it had been a pretty basic system since originally purchased in 1991. It had never been opened up other than to fit a 1MB trap door expansion. Although it did have a 330MB external PCMCIA based Archos HD connected for a long time.

But now it has been taken completely apart. The kickstart rom replaced with a 3.1 rom, an internal HD fitted and a PCMCIA fast ram card. It has definitely given this little machine a new lease of life.

OK, so along the way the motherboard died, the HDD lost its RDB just as I was ready to put it all back together and a few other things, but I got there in the end. :)

Now to stop the damn drive clicking! :lol:

Buleste
10th October 2008, 08:48
Now to stop the damn drive clicking! :lol:

Lump Hammer?;)

woody.cool
10th October 2008, 12:50
...yes that happens with Workbench 2.1 and 3.1 ROMS. I'm not sure how to solve this. You are having a right adventure with this A600! I bet you're getting frustrated now!
The problem is with the palette.ilbm file that's stored in ENVARC:SYS/
OS 3.x expects it in a slightly different format to OS 2.x

I had this problem when sharing the same files between my A1200 and A600

Harrison
10th October 2008, 14:33
Did you find a way to fix it?

The A600 is running OS2.1 on a KS3.1 rom.

Would deleting that file force Workbench to recreate it? Or would deleting it cause problems?

Bloodwych
10th October 2008, 14:58
Try replacing the 2.1 Palette Prefs with the Workbench 3.1 version. Then load up the colours and re-save your prefs.

It should create a new compatible file in ENV.

Deleting the old one will just cause Workbench to revert to its default palette. No issues at all.

woody.cool
10th October 2008, 15:26
Would deleting that file force Workbench to recreate it? Or would deleting it cause problems?
Deleting the file will cause Windows to use the default colour scheme.
As Bloodwhych says, replace the version of Palette prefs.

Harrison
10th October 2008, 17:27
OK. I will give that a try.

Bloodwych
31st October 2008, 14:30
Just thought I'd let you know there will be some massive updates on this and the 68K (LITE with 68000 compatible files) packs. All the work has been done, just got to update the webpage which is a job in itself!

It also now has a RAD: boot feature, where you can boot a game using the RAD: device. Saves the maximum resources possible for WHDLoad titles.

Harrison
31st October 2008, 15:04
Sounds great. I look forward to trying this out. :)