PDA

View Full Version : Drive anti click utilities

Harrison
8th October 2008, 02:30
Which floppy drive anti click utility do you use with your Amigas?

The Anticlick utility included with classicwb gaae doesn't seem to work on my A600. It is in the C directory and the entry is in the ser-startup, but the drive continues to click. Any ideas why?

I used to use a different one years ago that worked. It might have been called noclick but I'm not sure. I will have to have a look on my A4000's HD when I get chance and see.

What one do you use?

Buleste
8th October 2008, 07:44
I used to use MCP but being as i rarely use my FDD I use "bed in front of the slot" and that covers up any noise it makes.

Bloodwych
9th October 2008, 00:10
noclick rings a bell. I think it had a splash screen when loading - that will need suppressing if so!

Let me know when you find one that works and I'll update the pack. Anticlick works on my A1200, but perhaps it needs Workbech 3.0 (unlikely) or an 020 (again would seem strange). I only thought it had problems with certain older disk drives, but it looks like it isn't the ideal solution for all Amiga models and drives.

The docs to Anticlick are so sparse it doesn't say anything useful, so I just assumed it was universal with no A600 to test.

Harrison
9th October 2008, 00:26
OK. I will test the available ones out tomorrow and let you know which works and is the smallest (always good to save disk space).

premium
9th October 2008, 05:34
Hi there, me uses since ages clicknot (http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/clicknot373) worx fine for me.

woody.cool
9th October 2008, 09:07
I use ToggleClick which is part of SuperDuper disk copier.

Harrison
9th October 2008, 10:51
Thank you both for the recommendations. I hadn't heard of either of those before.

The Clicknot one looks good. Only 348 bytes and it can be run on WB2 and 3 from the CLI, WB and also the WBStartup draw, which is good. And it is only 348 bytes in size. I will give that a try first.

Harrison
9th October 2008, 20:28
Could they be something wrong with my A600's internal floppy drive?

I've now tried a few different noclick programs from Aminet and the drive continues to click with them all. :unsure:

I remember I stopped the clicking on the drive before with a similar program. It's probably still on my old external archos HD. I will have to dig that out and take a look.

Bloodwych
10th October 2008, 15:55
If your drive is working fine apart from not playing ball with a noclick utility, I'd say it's fine - just not compatible with the software.

As a final solution. there is a utility on Aminet that allows you to totally disable the internal drive when not in use, freeing up a small amount of resources in the process.

When you need the drive again, you just enable it. I can't remember it's name at the moment, but I saw it yesterday while browsing around Aminet for noclick utilities so it can't be hard to find.

Harrison
10th October 2008, 17:30
After trying out all of the no click utilties I've reached the conclusion that the drive is clicking less when any of the no click utilities are active. If I disable then the drive is noticeably louder. However it does still click. Very odd as it used to stop clicking completely with such a utility years ago with the original setup.

Of course I could use the other method of stopping it from clicking. Just keep a blank disk in the drive!

Huggies
12th October 2008, 13:36
I've put clicknot on my 1200 and it works a treat. My partner will be rather happy now as she detest the drive clicking.