PDA

View Full Version : 68060 shows up as 68040

bytebandit
4th October 2008, 10:28
I recently acquired an apollo 1260 and when I use sysinfo or the cpuinfo command it shows up as a 68040. The cpu jumper is set to 060 but the clk jumper is set to 040. If I change the clk jumper to 060 the amiga won't boot. Can anyone tell me why this is? I thought perhaps it was to do with the speed of the memory? Still strange it shows up as 040 though? Does anyone have any ideas?

BTW, The benchmarks on SysInfo 3.24 are: Mips 38.88, MFlops 27.89.

thnx.

Harrison
4th October 2008, 10:52
My guess is that the program is older than the 060 version CPU, so reports it as an 040. However that could be wrong.

Hopefully one of the other members with more experience of 060 accelerators can help you.

And welcome to classicamiga. :thumbs:

Buleste
4th October 2008, 11:14
I'm not sure about the settings on the Apollo so I can't help you with that I'm afraid. However what you have to remember is that when a lot of amiga software was written 060's were in very short supply so recognition of them wasn't written in the software so they are recognised as 040's. Have you tried Sysspeed or showconfig? Have you installed the software? If you don't have it then go here. (http://www.l8r.net/install/accel/apollo060.DMS)

Also after checking elsewhere. Do you have the trapdoor cover on? If so take it off as it can sometimes put too much pressure on the board. Clean all the joints with isopropyl alcohol. Have you tried it in 060 mode without the memory? How much memory are you trying to use? Are you trying single sided or double sided memory?

Having checked on the Big book of Amiga Hardware then the clk setting at 040 means you are running your 060 @ 66Mhz so that's fine.

Most importantly if your Amiga is running like sh1t of a shovel then does it really matter what programmes are saying? If you can run processor intensive programmes at a really good speed then who cares. Also if the Sysinfo speed graph shows you are running faster than a A4000/040 then it's working fine.

bytebandit
4th October 2008, 11:41
Hi Thanks for your info! I will answer your questions here so you can get a better idea of the setup.

>>>>I'm not sure about the settings on the Apollo so I can't help you with that I'm afraid. However what you have to remember is that when a lot of amiga software was written 060's were in very short supply so recognition of them wasn't written in the software so they are recognised as 040's. Have you tried Sysspeed or showconfig? Have you installed the software? If you don't have it then go here. (http://www.l8r.net/install/accel/apollo060.DMS)

Yes,Have already installed the original drivers. Would newer libraries and 3rd party drivers be a better option?

>>>>Also after checking elsewhere. Do you have the trapdoor cover on? If so take it off as it can sometimes put too much pressure on the board. Clean all the joints with isopropyl alcohol. Have you tried it in 060 mode without the memory? How much memory are you trying to use? Are you trying single sided or double sided memory?

Not tried it in 060 without the memory yet. It's using 2 32meg double sided simms. EDO but not sure of the speed. Probably the slower type. The board is installed in a Tower system though. I can try and give it a clean up though as you say.

>>>>Having checked on the Big book of Amiga Hardware then the clk setting at 040 means you are running your 060 @ 66Mhz so that's fine.

Yes it looks like 66Mhz mode but the crystal has 50mhz written on it? Although its markings look like the 66/75 Model?

>>>>Most importantly if your Amiga is running like sh1t of a shovel then does it really matter what programmes are saying? If you can run processor intensive programmes at a really good speed then who cares. Also if the Sysinfo speed graph shows you are running faster than a A4000/040 then it's working fine.

Yes it outperforms the A4000/40 by 2.04 times according to SysInfo V3.24.

The benchmarks state 38.88 Mips and 27.89 MFlops.
30.6 times faster than a standard 1200 apparently.

So what do you think?

Thanx.

Buleste
4th October 2008, 11:55
It sounds like it's working fine. Not sure about the crystal though. Someone else with a bit more experience with the Apollo boards might be able to help you on that one. Sysinfo is a very old piece of software that hasn't been updated since before there were 060 accelerators for the 1200 so if i was you I'd try Sysspeed as a more accurate benchmark programme. You could also try AIBB and compare it with the Apollo 1260 modules available on Aminet here (http://aminet.net/util/moni/060AIBBmods.lha) to see if you're getting similar speed.

Zetr0
4th October 2008, 13:33
@ByteBandit

Hello there,

you have a wonderfull bit of amiga hardware there, inact I have one as well, personally I believe the Apollo060 to be the second best card for the A1200 Amiga but perhaps the best for a desktop model.

The Apollo my have a poor SCSI implementation however it has a faster chip access speed compared to the much sought after Blizzard 060.

An Interesting point is that an 060@66 MHz will actually produce nearly 80Mips, its just that there are NO programs on the Amiga that can calculate the 060 properly.

Infact I am unaware of any program on the Amiga that will actually recognize the 060 let alone fully utilize it :)