PDA

View Full Version : XP or Vista for games?

Tiago
22nd September 2008, 16:50
What is your advice relating gaming? XP or Vista?

My Pc is a laptop Asus A6VA at 1700mhz with a Ati X700 this week i upgrade from
1 GB RAM (DDR II 533) to 2GB (DDR II 533).

I dont uset it much for work, the only things i do besides gaming is:

- Mail
- internet
- FTP upload
- excel (basic sheets)
- image work in photoshop (basic thinks like resize, contrast etc)

so all this things i can do in any computer xp or vista or linux...

so the fact is gaming, what is the best for my system?

Half Life II for example runs very well in my laptop,
but the game i like the most is flight simulator, now is version X.
I think the game is optimized for vista, but it runs ok in XP, but i cannot push to much
in graphics otherwize the frame rate will go down.

So will i get any improvement in Vista?
Because i really dont know anyone that uses it, everyone here is using XP with SP3.

Buleste
22nd September 2008, 17:20
Flight Simulator by Microsoft is always released about 1 year before there is a system that can runit at an acceptable rate. TBH i don't think the processor is up to it and to add the strain of Vista on top will probably be too much. Stick with XP for another year or so IMO.

J T
22nd September 2008, 21:42
I'm very impressed with Vista, I really like it.

However, it boots a fair bit slower than XP. The desktop comes up reasonably quickly but it takes a while before IE can be fired up and connect. Once it's all running though it's ace.

When I say a while, it's not like minutes or anything, but it just feels like it should be faster.

In your case, I'd stick with XP. Or go for a nice dual-boot so you have the best of both :ninja:

Harrison
23rd September 2008, 08:48
The same games will run faster in XP compared to Vista. Many gamers have a dual boot XP/Vista setup exactly for this reason.

The only reason to use Vista to play games is if your PC has a Direct X 10 supporting graphics card, and the games you wish to play support Direct X 10. If not then you will get better performance running the games in XP.

So stick with XP.

Tiago
23rd September 2008, 12:10
Ok, i will stay with XP.
I didnt try yet with the extra 1gb of RAM, i will install it and try.