PDA

View Full Version : More Firefox troubles!

Submeg
20th September 2008, 07:20
So I upgraded to the new firefox....but everytime I try and load the forum (as it is my homepage) it keeps telling me a script is taking to long to complete. It's to do with Tab view and something to do with Chrome??? What can I do? It keeps telling me do you wish to end this script, and I say yes but it keeps timing out and locks up!

Harrison
20th September 2008, 08:24
Chrome is the new browser from Google. Not sure why that would have anything to do with Firefox.

I've found Firefox crashes when Quicktime isn't the current version, even if there is no quicktime movies on the site being viewed. Probably nothing to do with your problem, but thought I would mention it.

Buleste
20th September 2008, 09:11
I use 3.0.1 and have never had any problems even when i had Chrome installed as well. Thats a very very strange one.

Teho
20th September 2008, 13:57
What can I do?

Install Opera. :p

Buleste
20th September 2008, 14:31
Have you tried uninstalling both Chrome and Firefox and then reinstalling Firefox?

Submeg
21st September 2008, 01:12
I don't even have chrome installed! Makes no sense! I will take a screenshot of the error and show you...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/Submeg/hmm.png

Fixed, uninstalled Stop Autoplay and it works now! good ol' google lol

romaster
22nd September 2008, 02:07
Yup have had a few issues with firefox 3..stuff that worked great in firefox 2..
broken in firefox 3..etc..

love the new features of ff3..and the great new plug ins..

I recommend..having both..there's a way to install Firefox 2 and 3 on your
system...and even run both side by side.. it's great..having the old
trusty compatibly of FF2..and the great new features of FF3..when
u do a dual install, even keeps the plug ins separate for each browser
no confusion..

just google installng firefox 2 and 3..you'll get several different ways to
do this, some easy, some complicated, I took the easy route..works good.

Harrison
22nd September 2008, 13:25
The only thing that has been very annoying for me in FF3 is the security certificates. Nearly ever site you visit that goes to a secure SHTTP url is instantly blocked from loading by FF3 due to "security certificates don't match", or "security certificates are out of date". Other browsers like Opera just throw up a requester box when this happens and you can select to allow or deny access to the site. But not FF. Instead it just locks you out. To gain access you have to go into the browser options, and then the advanced tab, and finally select to view certificates. Then you have to add an exception to the list for the site you are trying to visit. Very annoying and very unfriendly. They need to fix this in the next release. Even FF own plugins site gets blocked by a new FF3 installation. MAD!

Buleste
22nd September 2008, 13:31
Never had that problem at all. FF works fine with almost all the web pages i've ever visited. The only times i've had problems was due to the site not supporting FF3 yet (pain in the arse as i have to use IE instead).

Harrison
22nd September 2008, 14:15
That is strange. You didn't switch off any security measures when you installed FF3 did you? For me it complains with most sites. Ebay, FF Add-ons and most sites where you need to log in. But once the site is added to the certificate exceptions it then works fine.

Buleste
22nd September 2008, 14:23
Not had it on any sites that need a log in. I've even tried the dodgiest sites possible and never had anyproblems with certificates and i've never switched off any security measures and I'm not sure if i'd know how to in FF. Guess i must be lucky.:tease:

Harrison
22nd September 2008, 14:32
Can you check something in your FF settings, just to see if it is set the same as mine?

If you go to Tools/Options and then go to the security tab, are the first three options on that page ticked?

Buleste
22nd September 2008, 14:50
The first 2 are ticked the last one checking if the site is a suspected forgery is not.

Harrison
22nd September 2008, 15:40
Ah! That could be what is making mine complain about all sites with SHTTP connections then.

Demon Cleaner
23rd September 2008, 15:00
I will never understand why people always using new versions of software immediately? I'm still using v2 and it's just fine, what's the need of using v3?? I usually tend to use older versions for at least 6 month, that's also the case with a new OS.

Harrison
23rd September 2008, 15:06
Normally I would agree. Especially with OSs. However with browsers I always need to be using the current version if possible for web development. I do however keep older versions on other computers to test sites with different versions of browser.

But I only ever upgrade once a final version is released. I hardly ever bother with beta releases unless it is a completely new browser.

The one main reason for updating to a new browser version is security or bugs that can cause security risks. Many older browsers contain them. However in M$ case I think they pride themselves on adding more with each new release! ;)

Buleste
23rd September 2008, 15:10
M$. Ironing out old bugs by introducing new ones.;)

Sharingan
23rd September 2008, 17:01
I think M$ purposefully introduces bugs in their products just so they can sell you more security software (antivirus, antispyware etc.).

That, or their engineers are simply f&#%^ clueless.

Submeg
23rd September 2008, 23:36
I would say all of the above :p

Harrison
24th September 2008, 09:25
It is a secret agreement going on between M$ and the security companies. Just think of how many people now work in the security market. Without the coding genius of M$ they would all be out of a job!

Teho
24th September 2008, 14:24
Wasn't there a news story some years ago revealing how some security companies themselves spread viruses to justify their existence? Or was that just some conspiracy theory I read somewhere? Can't seem to find it now.