PDA

View Full Version : How much did you pay...

Harrison
18th September 2008, 10:07
It can often be a shock to find some old receipts for the computer hardware you purchased years ago, especially in the Amiga days.

So what can you remember buying back in the day for your Amiga that when you now look back and think about it seems quite a mad price for what it was?

For me I remember buying a high density external floppy drive from Power Computing and paying about £149 for it. I still remember my amazement at finally being able to fit 1.76MB onto a floppy disk! :lol: But I did actually need the drive because I had to access the HD floppies I was using for my university course work. Was very useful being able to access PC, Mac and Amiga disks with that drive. Something the PC can't even do today without additional hardware!

But that was nothing. My first HD, a 330MB monster of an external Archos PCMCIA drive for the A1200 cost me over £300. That works out at about £1 per MB!!! :o

I'm going through my Amiga stuff at the moment to see what I really want to keep, and what I will never use again (Amibay is calling) and I normally kept the receipts in the boxes with the hardware, so if I find any more great purchase prices I will post them.

Anyone else got any mad prices they paid for hardware?

Buleste
18th September 2008, 11:11
I remember when Hard drives were going at £1/MB cos i got a 120 MB hd for £120.00. My brand new accellerators cost about as much as they do now on ebay without the SIMMs but 8MB SIMM would cost about £30.00+ and there was no way in hell of getting a 128MB SIMM. God i'm going to have to root through some old mags to see how much i spent on stuff. I know i used to get my hardware from Gordon Harwoods at first and then Power Computing.

Harrison
18th September 2008, 11:34
Talking of ram, that just reminded me of the first ram expansion I bought for my A1200. It was a 4MB trapdoor ram card with RTC and it cost £179.99! Ouch! I think that was at the start of 1993. I could buy a new computer for that price now!

Buleste
18th September 2008, 11:36
I'd forgotten about my 1220 with 8MB RAM. I think that cost me nearly £200.00 and when i got my 1230 i gave it away to a mate of mine. Should have just spent the money on expensive hookers (it was 1994).

Sharingan
18th September 2008, 11:56
Never had much money in the Amiga days, so the only expansions I ever got was a 512 MB fast RAM expansion board for the A500 and an external Cumana floppy disk drive. Both cost me an arm and a leg, obviously. Most of the rest of my money went to buying blank floppy disks, hehe.

Harrison
18th September 2008, 13:21
...a 512 MB fast RAM expansion board for the A500... cost me an arm and a leg...

512MB for the A500! I bet that did cost an arm and a leg! ;) :lol:

Buleste
18th September 2008, 13:26
Never had much money in the Amiga days, so the only expansions I ever got was a 512 MB fast RAM expansion board for the A500 and an external Cumana floppy disk drive. Both cost me an arm and a leg, obviously. Most of the rest of my money went to buying blank floppy disks, hehe.

Crap i didn't even have thaty in my first PC 10 years later. And you didn't have a hard drive.:lol:;)

Sharingan
18th September 2008, 15:40
512 KB! :eyebrow:

Demon Cleaner
19th September 2008, 00:05
I bought my 512kB expansion memory for 7.000 LUF, which is about 115£ which was quite a lot for the late 80s.

Harrison
19th September 2008, 10:30
Ouch! That is expensive. I'm trying to remember what my 1MB ram expansion for the A600 cost me, but I can't remember. Might have the receipt in the original box.

Cortona
19th September 2008, 21:05
Like Sheringan, I bought a 512K RAM expansion for my A500 in early '89 and it cost about £90. (There was a RAM chip shortage in the late '80s, I think.)

I got my external floppy at the Commodore show in Hammersmith, November '89 also for about £90. (How can I remember all these useless details of my life and yet forget where I put my car keys five minutes ago!?) (I have actually still got a Commodore mug I bought there, although the red bit of the C= logo has faded to nothing after all these years. My wife thinks I'm very sad for keeping it...)

Anyway, floppies... Verbatim DS/DD jobbies were £1.35 for one, obviously cheaper by the multiple of 10. Or you could get no-name unbranded disks for about 80pence each.

Demon Cleaner
23rd September 2008, 16:16
The first 5¼ disks by Elephant cost around 8£ at the time (1 disk!), which was enormous.

Buleste
23rd September 2008, 16:20
The first 5¼ disks by Elephant cost around 8£ at the time (1 disk!), which was enormous.

If they were by Whale then they'd be cost even more.;)

Demon Cleaner
23rd September 2008, 16:23
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_Memory_Systems

toomanymikes
24th September 2008, 13:56
I remember paying (actually my dad paying) about £100 for the 512k upgrade for the A500. I remember one of the main reasons I wanted it was so that I could play Streetfighter which I had bought in WHSmith in Inverness on a family holiday for £10. What a dissapointment and waste of £10 that was! :D

Buleste
24th September 2008, 14:02
I remember paying (actually my dad paying) about £100 for the 512k upgrade for the A500. I remember one of the main reasons I wanted it was so that I could play Streetfighter which I had bought in WHSmith in Inverness on a family holiday for £10. What a dissapointment and waste of £10 that was! :D

Coud've been worse... You could've bought a 1200 with hard drive and a memory expansion to play Rise Of the Robots. It would have made you suicidal.;)

Harrison
24th September 2008, 15:02
That explains Teho's outlook on life! ;) :lol:

Teho
24th September 2008, 15:15
:lol: I was going to say no no, it doesn't take that much. You only need to have bought just the game. ;)