PDA

View Full Version : How Many Amiga Mags do you own?

StuKeith
26th January 2007, 19:17
I think I have 200 or so! I have the complete final year of CU Amiga, Lots of Amiga Power, AUI and Amiga Format.
too many! :yesyes: :p

AlexJ
26th January 2007, 20:41
I have just 1 magazine left :( It's the first one I bought - CU Amiga Sept. 1993

I've still got nearly all the coverdisks though (150+).

Stephen Coates
26th January 2007, 21:21
I only have 2 Amiga magazines.

Harrison
26th January 2007, 23:23
I have no idea. I really should go into the loft and count them to find out. I roughly have every issue from 1991 till the end of publication for Cu Amiga, Amiga Format, Amiga Computing, and AUi, and that includes special editions and all of their cover disks and CDs. I also have lots of The One, Amiga Action, Amiga Power, CD32Gamer, ST/Amiga Format (before Amiga Format), Amiga World, Games Master, Zero... Oh, and Edge right from the second issue (missed the first) which covered Amiga games too. And probably more Amiga publications I've missed as I tended to buy anything I saw if I have the money.

Puni/Void
27th January 2007, 08:55
I have a decent collection myself, but sadly I don't havy any issues with me to the UK. Have several issues of Norwegian magazines, like Amiga Forum, DNH Klubben, Techno and Giga. But the main part of my collection is based around all the issues I've purchased of CU Amiga. Also have some issues of CD32 Gamer, Amiga Power, Amiga Action, The One Amiga and Amiga Format. When I get back home again, I will for sure give these mags the place they deserve in the shelves.

Demon Cleaner
28th January 2007, 15:29
None. I never bought amiga only related magazines, as for the time I had an amiga, I had no money to afford magazines. I used to have Happy Computer and Run64, which were C64 magazines.

Submeg
30th January 2007, 23:37
Zero. I was four at the time :p

J T
31st January 2007, 10:44
I have about 50 or so Amiga Powers.

I had a few Amiga Actions too but I slung them out because they were utter gash.

Puni/Void
31st January 2007, 13:57
That's quite a nice collection of Amiga Power issues, JT. Notice you didn't like Amiga Action though. ;)

J T
31st January 2007, 14:44
From now on, I think I may start editing posts with Amiga Action in them, replacing it with the AP-esque ('Michael Jackson' - Ed)

:ninja:

Edwinner
31st January 2007, 21:52
Before my subscription on Amiga Format (25 pieces or so) I was a regular buyer of Amiga Shopper (the serious Amiga magazine :) ). I think I have 45 of those. I also had a subscription on some Dutch Amiga magazines (one called "Amiga Magazine" and one called "Amiga Scene").

Harrison
31st January 2007, 22:07
I completely forgot about Amiga Shopper. I didn't buy many issues though, maybe 3 or 4 at most. That is quite a number you have Edwinner. Do you also still have the Dutch Amiga magazines?

Would you be interested in helping out with the classicamiga magazine section once we start it? We are first concentrating on finishing the game and demo sections, but once those are nearly complete I will be launching an Amiga magazine section on the site which will contain Scanned copies of each Amiga magazine in PDF format.

Does anyone remember a magazine dedicated to Public Domain software? I forget the name of it, but it covered public domain and shareware on the Amiga, ST and PC. I don't think it lasted that long but the issues I bought were quite good and covered a wide variety of current and existing PD disc releases.

Edwinner
1st February 2007, 19:20
I don't have the Dutch Amiga magazines anymore.

This PD magazine wasn't it simply called: Public Domain?

Harrison
1st February 2007, 23:18
It might have been. I will have to look for the issues I have and find out.

Toasty667
10th May 2007, 09:49
Got rid of all mine when I sold the A1200. :(

In my opinion Amiga Power was the best. Fab cover disks to boot. :)

Stephen Coates
10th May 2007, 14:54
I now have 3 or 4.

Unfortunately though with Total Amiga stopping I may not get many more in the future. I still have some subscription left though so will get a couple of Amiga future (english) issues to see how good it is.

TiredOfLife
10th May 2007, 23:09
Exactly the same as Ste.

Sharingan
4th July 2007, 09:45
Sadly, only a few copies of Amiga Power (one of which is in many pieces), one issue of Amiga Computing and two issues of Amiga Format.

My cousin used to buy every single issue of AF, AP, CU, AC, Amiga Shopper and various other mags. Whenever I go visit, I sometimes read some for old times' sake.

The trouble with imported magazines is that they often cost 3 to 4 times as much as the original (GB) price. I could never afford the stuff, unless I was willing to give up on buying CDs, clothes, booze and so on :)

v85rawdeal
5th July 2007, 19:43
It appears that my parents have dug up my near-complete (AFAIK) collection of Zero and ACE magazines...

Now I have got to go through them and sort them out and 'bin' the ones I don't want.

Harrison
5th July 2007, 22:29
Don't bin them. :o We need them for the site!

v85rawdeal
5th July 2007, 22:34
I plan to catalog them next time I go over my parents and then get them to my flat, so I can go through them properly.

Once I have catalogued them I will post the results here. If someone then wants to take them off my hands, I will be happy to oblige, as I no longer have the space to store them unfortunately.

Harrison
5th July 2007, 22:37
I would be interested as I don't have that many copies of Zero so they would be very useful for the site.

Puni/Void
6th July 2007, 18:17
Wasn't Zero the mag that had both Atari and Amiga content?

AlexJ
6th July 2007, 19:21
Wasn't Zero the mag that had both Atari and Amiga content?

I think it covered PC as well. Several mags were ST&Amiga, 'The One' for example started as a dual-platform before spliting into two seperate magazines.

Puni/Void
6th July 2007, 21:26
I didn't know that The One started out as a joint Atari-Amiga magazine. Would be interesting to get hold of some of those old issues.

v85rawdeal
6th July 2007, 22:26
I might even have some old copies of The One... will let everybody know.

AlexJ
6th July 2007, 22:30
I've got scans of every issue of The One (bar a few of the ones at the end of it's life, but they were awful anyway.)

The guy that did them has given the OK for us to use them on the site when the mag. section launches which is cool. Only downside is they nearly all need cropping and rotating. Still it's 81 less issues to scan.

v85rawdeal
6th July 2007, 22:45
Scanning them??? I never thought of that...

I spent all my time cutting them up and glueing them to my computer monitor.

Harrison
6th July 2007, 22:58
:lol:

I also have that complete The One collection. Underground Gamer now has it as a torrent. It's also cool that we've been given the go ahead to use them.

The tidying up of scans is always the tedious bit. I had a load of boxart scans that were sent to me a long time ago and I was looking through them this week and decided it would be quicker to just rescan them all in from my own collection than try to clean up and straighten them. They were not scanned straight, and were too bright and washed out, plus the boxes had some damage. I could fix all of that, but making new scans with the correct scanning settings is much quicker.

BTW, talking of this, have any of you looked at any of the box scans on HOL? They are really bad! Washed out with pale colours, not straight, some are badly creased. No wonder no other site bothers "using" them ;)

Harrison
6th July 2007, 23:02
And yes, quite a few of the mags did start life as dual format magazines. I've originals of some of the early issues when it was just called The One. It then split and was called Amiga One and ST One.

Zero also covered ST and Amiga, but was closed down due to being sued for sexual content. :thumbs:

Cu Amiga also started out as a C64 magazine and then started to cover the Amiga and slowly reduced the C64 content until eventually it was an Amiga magazine.

And Amiga Format also started out called ST/Amiga Format for the first 13 issues. I have 3 or 4 of the last of those too and it was quite a cool magazine. The floppy disk was also dual format with half ST and helf Amiga software. Not sure how the ADF for those would work. I actually preferred it to the later Amiga Format.

And sad to say that when all of those split into seperate platforms I purchased the ST versions as I had an ST at the time (not seeing the error of my ways until it was too late) :o

And there have been quite a few more cross platform magazines that included Amiga. Edge is one of the most famous and is still going. The early issues covered the Amiga and had it listed on the cover along with all the other systems of the time.

C+VG was another but I never bought many of those, and Gamesmaster, from the creators of the TV show and that was quite a good one. I have a few of those and want to add them to the site.

AlexJ
6th July 2007, 23:09
Does anyone remember a magazine called Bad Influence? It was also a cross-platform magazine and I think was based on a TV series of the same name.

v85rawdeal
6th July 2007, 23:14
I might even still have some copies of Rampage (I think that was what it was called) which was a disk-based Amiga magazine (I think there was an ST version called Stampede, as well)

Again, more details will come to light over the next couple of weeks.

Harrison
6th July 2007, 23:29
Does anyone remember a magazine called Bad Influence? It was also a cross-platform magazine and I think was based on a TV series of the same name.

I never saw the magazine but I remember the TV program well. It featured the two presenters Andy and Violet. And Violet Berlin went on to host another Gaming TV show more recently on the Bravo channel called Game Pad which was quite good.

Here is a site all about the show: http://www.bad-influence.co.uk/

It even has links to the complete first episode from each of the four series so you can watch them again.

Something else I just remembered about it was the "datablast". At the end of the show they would tell you to start recording on your video recorder and then for 30 seconds they would display loads of text screens very quickly. You could then play them back later and pause them, and jog through the frame to actually read them all. They contained walkthroughs, cheats, tips and other game related info.

v85rawdeal
12th July 2007, 15:33
Have catalogued my computer magazines and I have the following:

Issues 1-25 of Zero (excluding 22)

ACE issues: 26-30, 32-41

The Games Machine issues: 17-23

If anybody is interested in taking them off my hands (as I dont have the space for them) please PM me.

Puni/Void
13th July 2007, 06:16
I would love to get hold of those magazines, but now I'm living in Norway again, so the postage would be horribly expensive. :( I'm sure some of the others living in the UK are interested though. It is a nice collection of mags.

Harrison
13th July 2007, 12:22
I would love to get hold of those magazines. I could then scan them in to share with everyone else and ready for the magazine section. The issues of Zero are especially of interest to me as I don't have many. Do you have any of the coverdisks?

v85rawdeal
14th July 2007, 13:22
Unfortunately not. It seems they have all disappeared into the same place and all those biros disappear to.

Sorry about that, but the zero mags are still in excellent condition.

Harrison
14th July 2007, 14:37
Oh well. At least adf's of coverdisks are easier to find than copies of the actual magazines. I'm still interested in the magazines. Let me know how you wish to proceed?

v85rawdeal
14th July 2007, 15:08
The easiest way for me would be if you are not too far from Portsmouth (which I have ascertained from previous posts (the ones about arcades) that you are quite close) and able to get here, then I can give you my address and mobile. That way we can arrange a time for you to pick them up.

I am happy to see them go to a good home. Let ne know your thoughts.

Blue Jedi
25th July 2007, 21:36
I have every issue of every Amiga magazine.

Harrison
26th July 2007, 00:05
Really? In original form?

If so would you be interested in helping us out? I am about to begin working on the magazine section of the site and so will need help scanning Amiga magazines in for the site. I have a lot myself, but not everything ever produced.

Demon Cleaner
26th July 2007, 04:46
I have now all the magazines from UG in pdf format.

Harrison
26th July 2007, 08:41
All Amiga magazines, or ALL magazines they currently have? I've got all of the Commodore User, Amiga Force and The One collections from there. Is there anything else they have that I've missed?

AlexJ
26th July 2007, 09:55
Have you got the Australian Commodore and Amiga Review torrent from Pleasuredome?

Blue Jedi
26th July 2007, 10:27
I have all the main English amiga games retail magazines amiga power ect they have been in boxes in the garage for about 10 years so I am not sure what condition they are in i dont think they will be in mint condition.

I dont have the ones that are not about games.

I have every C64, NES, Mega Drive magazine and Mega CD magazine with cover disks in mint condition.

I have every 3DO Magazine and cover disk in mint condition but 3DO is more recent.

Demon Cleaner
26th July 2007, 10:35
All Amiga magazines, or ALL magazines they currently have?All amiga ones. I think, did not find any others.

The amiga force torrent and commodore user torrent. Will have a look for The One, but as it seems it's not available anymore.

Harrison
26th July 2007, 13:55
The UG torrent for The One magazine collection should definitely still be on there as I'm still seeding it and there are currently 9 seeds and 5 peers I'm connected to.

Here is a direct link for you: http://www.underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=17575

Also the missing issue from that collection is also available on UK as a seperate Torrent.

Harrison
26th July 2007, 13:58
I have all the main English amiga games retail magazines amiga power ect they have been in boxes in the garage for about 10 years so I am not sure what condition they are in i dont think they will be in mint condition.

I dont have the ones that are not about games.

It doesn't matter if they are not in perfect condition, just intact.

I hardly ever purchased just the game related Amiga magazines, (instead purchasing Amiga Computing, AUi, Amiga Format and Cu Amiga, plus some others) so am missing most of the game only magazines from my collection. Especially Amiga Power, Amiga Action, etc... so if you do have all of those I would be very interested in finding out if you would be interested in helping classicamiga out by scanning them in for the site?

Blue Jedi
26th July 2007, 16:27
Amiga Format was awsome they did some great cover disks.

Harrison
26th July 2007, 16:41
Not as good as CU Amiga in my view. ;)

Demon Cleaner
27th July 2007, 09:19
The UG torrent for The One magazine collection should definitely still be on there as I'm still seeding it and there are currently 9 seeds and 5 peers I'm connected to.

Here is a direct link for you: http://www.underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=17575

Also the missing issue from that collection is also available on UK as a seperate Torrent.Teho send me a PM with the links, I have them now, also the missing issue. Kudos to Teho :thumbs: When he posts again here, I'll give him a little reputation ;)

Teho
27th July 2007, 09:55
Yeah, I sent them in a PM because the admin here once mentioned something about posting questionable download links in the public forums.. *ahem* :rolleyes:

Harrison
27th July 2007, 10:14
:lol: OK, good point, although links to old magazines isn't really that questionable compared to rom collections.

Teho
27th July 2007, 10:44
I know, just having some fun. ;) I just always PM links to sites like that on general principle, but that particular link isn't really bad.

Demon Cleaner
29th July 2007, 22:48
Reputation now sent to you, Teho, thanks again for the exact links :thumbs:

Tiago
17th August 2007, 14:15
I have 2 amiga megazines from 1991 i think, i have to check.
and 1 Atari from 1989....

One of the magazines (amiga format think) from 1991 has a top 100 game list.
Next time i have some time i will scan that one, it's quite cool !!

FOL
18th August 2007, 16:34
I only have 1 Amiga Mag left. I kept it as it is German, and its called Amiga Joker. 1991 if i remember correctly, went to Germany. Its the issue reviewing Jaguar XJ220, which has to be 1 of my favorite games (beside lotus trilogy). Well that and it had stuff about Project-X in it, :).

Submeg
18th August 2007, 22:53
Good ol' Jaguar XJ2220...such cool music :)

Demon Cleaner
21st August 2007, 06:43
The Amiga Joker site is still alive.

http://www.amigafan.de/

Bloodwych
1st September 2007, 10:43
I have a tower of Amiga mags and would never throw them away. Just too much of a good read should a rainy boring day come along.

I've got a blend - Zero, C&VG, The One, Amiga Shopper, "Mean Machines"...too many to list...actually, I think I've got at least one copy of every different mag!

The council recycle truck ain't gettin' near this hoard, no siree!

FOL
1st September 2007, 11:16
The council recycle truck ain't gettin' near this hoard, no siree!

Aint that the truth, well that and the fact they would proberly charge you for taking it away, lol.