PDA

View Full Version : Powering 1200 Tower

StuKeith
10th September 2008, 22:04
How can I power my A1200 tower? as you can see here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200245224335&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=010) that the tower case covers over the amiga psu connector.

I didnt win the mediator so whats the best way? Ideas I have had so far include.

1) Cutting out the amiga psu connector
2) soldering wires to back of psu socket.

Buleste
11th September 2008, 09:47
I have a AT to 1200 power connector that you could have but you'd need to find a ATX to AT adaptor. Alternativly AmigaKit have this (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=771) on offer.

Harrison
11th September 2008, 12:44
The trader ultrareliable could make you an ATX to Amiga power cable for a good price. However that doesn't get around the problem you have with the A1200's power connector being covered up by the back plate.

Do you think this case was designed specifically for use with an expansion board to power the system?

Buleste
11th September 2008, 13:06
I didn't look at the pictures so i didn't realise you have an AT PSU so ignore my previous link.

Having looked at the pictures it looks like the tower was designed for use with a ZorroIV board originally and then with a Mediator but it's essentially a PC case with holes cut in for the Amiga ports to poke through but the didn't do a power port. If you look where the power input would be there are 2 holes. My advice would be to Mark the dimensions of the power Input on the case and cut a hole in. It would mean that the PSU in the tower would be useless (unless you want the connector i have but you would still need to cut a hole for the Power in) but at least you'd have power.

StuKeith
11th September 2008, 22:35
I have a AT to 1200 power connector that you could have but .
That would be great!

What you want for it?

Zetr0
11th September 2008, 23:10
there is another more efficient, cheaper and quicker way :)

using an ATX or AT psu, it makes no difference at this point

Firstly we need the a P5 molex (same as the one for the floppy drive) from the PSU, this will plug into the A1200 motherboard where the floppy power once was.

Secondly, we need to complete the circuit with the -12v (thats the blue wire in the ATX or white in the AT) please check voltages before use!!!!

once you found it, you will need to feed this into the central hole of the a1200 power connector, i would suggest you "tin" the wire but a good few twists in a solid build will do the job.

if thats a little hairy, i shall add some pics for you.

StuKeith
12th September 2008, 08:14
there is another more efficient, cheaper and quicker way :)

using an ATX or AT psu, it makes no difference at this point

Firstly we need the a P5 molex (same as the one for the floppy drive) from the PSU, this will plug into the A1200 motherboard where the floppy power once was.

Secondly, we need to complete the circuit with the -12v (thats the blue wire in the ATX or white in the AT) please check voltages before use!!!!

once you found it, you will need to feed this into the central hole of the a1200 power connector, i would suggest you "tin" the wire but a good few twists in a solid build will do the job.

if thats a little hairy, i shall add some pics for you.

Cheers fella! Is this perfectly safe then?

Buleste
12th September 2008, 13:43
I have a AT to 1200 power connector that you could have but .
That would be great!

What you want for it?

Send me a PM if you're still interested.