PDA

View Full Version : Having a clear out

Harrison
10th September 2008, 14:50
This is very hard. I'm going through all my old stuff with the intent of clearing out everything I've not used in the last couple of years. As you can imagine this is quite a lot of stuff. Especially the load of stuff in the loft.

So far I'm found a load of old Walkman tape players. The best being a top of the range AIWA with remote control on the headphone cable. At the time that was expensive, so it is quite sad to see it go. I've not used it for years mostly because it is tape based and MP3s have completely taken over. What is it worth? £1? :(

Any something else I found is my portable CD player. I used to use that in my old car on one of those CD player cradles and it worked well for that. Even have the original receipt in the box. £60. Much less than I thought it might have been. But that was a replacement for the Pioneer CD player I had stolen from the car before that I remember being nearly £200. So what is the Panasonic portable CD player worth? Not sure but I'm guessing £5? Maybe £10 at a push but not likely.

Loads of other stuff to go through. But what to do with it all? It all still works. ebay? Where a doubt most of it will sell for more than £1, or hold a car boot sale?

Anyone else recently cleared out their old stuff? What did you do with it all?

Buleste
10th September 2008, 15:00
Ah the wife strikes back!!!! Enough of this batchalor living get rid of your crap so i can move mine in!!!

TBH if you don't think you can get anything for your stuff but don't want to throw it away then try your local freecycle group and hopefully it'll go to a good home. Thats where i've gotten rid of a lot of my old stuff.(And where i've picked up some good stuff as well!!!)

Demon Cleaner
10th September 2008, 15:02
I also have to get rid of some stuff as I'm moving into my new house in one month, but I just bin it, or give it away to friends.

Harrison
10th September 2008, 15:06
I've managed to get some good things on Freecycle too. Got some floor standing Eltax home cinema speakers a while back and they sound great. Not as good as my main Eltax ones but great for a second set.

It is a good idea to try and get rid of it on there. I'd actually forgotten about the site.

I also need to try and get rid of a 6' Snooker table and I doubt I will get much money for it so might also freecycle that too.

Buleste
10th September 2008, 15:24
Some of the freecycle groups have seperate forums where you can actually sell stuff (obviosly not for muchbut still.).

AlexJ
10th September 2008, 22:08
So far I'm found a load of old Walkman tape players. The best being a top of the range AIWA with remote control on the headphone cable. At the time that was expensive, so it is quite sad to see it go. I've not used it for years mostly because it is tape based and MP3s have completely taken over. What is it worth? £1? :(

I can think of someone on this forum who'd see a good buy here.

burns flipper
11th September 2008, 11:16
I had a clearout recently. Some went on freecycle. A lot of my stuff no-one's interested in nowadays, so that will probably just go in the bin (no point in eBaying due to the time involved).

On a good note, I found a load of old Crowded House live CD's from the fanclub, went to their forum, found someone who was looking for them and sold 15 out of the 16 in 10 minutes for £250!

Doubt I will do so well with anything else from the loft...unless anyone here wants any black crocodile-skin suitcases...

Buleste
11th September 2008, 11:30
unless anyone here wants any black crocodile-skin suitcases...

The black crocodile might want them!!;)

Harrison
11th September 2008, 14:24
Or Submeg! I hear such thinks are quite popular down there. ;)

It is amazing what you completely forget you even had. I was just rummaging though a load of boxes and found a spare 48x CD-RW I completely forgot I had. That will come in useful to replace the much slower drive currently in my A4000. :)

FOL
13th September 2008, 10:13
Ah the wife strikes back!!!! Enough of this batchalor living get rid of your crap so i can move mine in!!!

Lmfao, damn i fell privelaged. My wife doesnt give me any of this, she would rather use my amiga. Other than that, anything we dont use, sneaks its way into the loft, ;).

Submeg
13th September 2008, 22:00
Or Submeg! I hear such thinks are quite popular down there. ;)

You would be surprised, there isnt many of those down here...mind you it's not like I go looking! Lol. I feel sorry for you man, losing all your stuff! A sad day indeed. Lucky for me, the only thing I have is cds and my gf loves cds so I don't think I would have to stop! lol

Harrison
15th September 2008, 13:12
Well... Im' not actually losing all my stuff. It's mostly stuff I've been hording for years (like we all do) and this is a good excuse to finally declutter and get rid of all the old junk.

I've decided that apart from the video games and Star Wars items, if I've not used something for 2 years than I'm not likely to use it again any time soon so it can go!

J T
15th September 2008, 15:49
What about giving it to charity shop(s)? I know a lot don't like to take electronics, but there are some. I gave a load of hi-fi equipment to a charity shop a while ago (CD player, amp, minidisc deck, 2 floorstanders and 2 bookshelf speakers). I kept the bad-boy subwoofer though :ninja:

If you think you are bad, my father in law's loft is a JOKE. There's tons of old shit in there from where he had some Sony centres (hi-8 camcorders, 8 tracks, betamax, loads of tape walkmen and crusty rubbish). I know that one day I'll be the one that has to go through all of that :(

Harrison
15th September 2008, 15:58
Betamax recorders are actually quite sort after these days. There is quite a lot of underground enthusiasts who still use and want them. Probably worth quite a bit these days if sold through the enthusiasts groups.

As for filled up lofts. You need to see my parents loft. I've still been using it to store the bulk of my Star Wars collection and that is taking out about a third of the whole loft space! Quite a large collection. :lol: Plus a large percentage of my Amiga magazine collection is there too. I really need to spend a few days there going through it all before my dad finally gets fed up and I discover he has skipped the lot!

Why don't they build houses with cellars any more? It would solve all such problems. Us men could horde what we like down there and if we run out of room we could just dig down a bit further! ;) :lol:

I've actually managed to get rid of my Snooker table now via Freecycle, and someone is interested in the huge 21" monitor, so that might be going this week too. :)

Sharingan
15th September 2008, 16:46
I had a 21 inch (CRT) monitor too. Those things are frickin' heavy! Still outperformed LCDs, though.

Me, I can't get myself to get rid of old stuff. I'm too sentimental to part with the crap I grew up with :cry:

Harrison
15th September 2008, 22:41
Yep! Bloody heavy! I remember when I originally got the monitor and how hard to was to carry up the stairs. Weights about 32KG I think! And it is huge! The tube is 2' deep.

It is definitely very hard to part with stuff from your past. I try to hold on to things as much as I can, but sometimes they do just have to go. And the thing is that once it is gone I find I don't really miss, or remember most of it, so why did I keep it all so long.

Stephen Coates
16th September 2008, 13:42
I hurt my back a little bit carrying my 21" monitor up the stairs. Didn't hurt anywhere near as much as my arms did though after carrying a 20kg Power Macintosh about half a mile. My arms hurt for about 4 days after that.

Harrison
16th September 2008, 13:51
I've always said Macs make good door stops! ;)

Buleste
16th September 2008, 15:21
I would've thought they make good Chocks for Jumbo Jets myself.;)

Harrison
16th September 2008, 15:49
Or anchors for oil tankers!

burns flipper
25th September 2008, 13:26
If you could invent a process for retrofitting any house with a cellar you would become a millionnaire.

Someone I know sold some blank betamax vids on ebay last year, made £1000 by selling all 10!

Harrison
25th September 2008, 13:36
I've just thought of the perfect ebay scam. Advertise the "Easy to Install Cellar", "Fits any house as long as it is sitting on the ground!".

And when the buyer purchases this great auction I will post them a shovel! ;)