PDA

View Full Version : Gunship 2000

merlin20674
17th August 2008, 12:23
HI newbie here,

Just a bit of info required, in the Gunship 2000 manual it states that they were working on additional theatres of war, does anybody know if they actually released any.

Danny

Harrison
17th August 2008, 15:16
Hi Danny and welcome to classicamiga.

I also remember reading in the manual that they were planning expansion packs for GunShip 2000. However I don't think they ever actually did make any.

We have no references or information on any existing and I've looked though the TOSEC dat files and nothing is listed. Does anyone else know any more about this?

merlin20674
17th August 2008, 16:14
thanx for the welcome.

I used to own a c-64 and an amiga 500+, shame i skipped them when i was younger lol.
So many regrets now.

playing the game currently and just feel the missions are outdated, shame they never did release the add ons

danny

Demon Cleaner
18th August 2008, 09:47
Hi merlin20674, welcome aboard, as far as I know there was no add-on released for Gunship 2000.

Buleste
18th August 2008, 09:56
I've been having a trawl through 'tinternet and found this on Wiki

Expansions pack

The Gunship 2000: Islands & Ice expansion pack followed on about a year later (in 1992). It added two theatres of war (Antarctica and The Philippines), as well as an innovative mission editor.

Gameplay followed closely on the heels of Gunship 2000, but added unique aspects for the two new theaters as well as a number of additional functions and new player aids, including: in-flight mission changes, air and artillery support, wind and weather (including white-outs and magnetic disturbances in Antarctica), maintenance and weapon system downtimes, improved autopilot, targeting, navigation, and the addition of a HUD mission clock.

One of the most exciting and innovative features was the mission builder. This tool enabled players to create and edit missions of their own design. Every aspect of a typical Gunship 2000 mission was available for use in the mission builder. It also provided a number of shortcut steps to enable players to quickly create new missions without having to, for example, place every defender on the map one-by-one. Players could even export a standard Gunship 2000 mission into the mission builder as a template for editing. Once completed, mission could be saved for play, editing or free exchange with other players. Very advanced for its day, the mission builder set the tone for many follow on products by enabling players to determine fun by their own standards.
However it was only ever released on P.C. and was probably never intended for release with the Amiga versions but was in the manual as all Microprose games used the P.C. manual with an Amiga addendum card.

You can find the PC version with Islands and Ice here. (http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=487)

Harrison
18th August 2008, 10:12
I wonder if the PC version could be converted to work with the Amiga version?

Buleste
18th August 2008, 10:16
It depends on how the expansion pack was loaded. If it was used in replacement for another disk then that would be fine but if you have to do something to load it then i don't think so. Besides the PC version used texture mapping so the graphics would be incompatable.

If you're desperate for a Helicopter game then apparantly Longbow 2 is the best ever and you can find it here. (http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=4628)

merlin20674
18th August 2008, 17:18
very helpful and thanx for the link, look forward to playing the expanded version.

Downloaded game, is exactly the same as amiga version with the add on's, unfortunatly the game crashs after setting the cockpit switches, is this because its a dos game and i'm running windows xp. Secondly sound doesn't work. except the PC speaker lol the one in the tower. lots of beeping pmsl.

any ideas?

Harrison
18th August 2008, 17:21
I would suggest you run a DOS emulator of virtual machine to run it. Take a look at the DOS PC emulator DOSBox, or look at one of the virtual machines such as VirtualPC from Microsoft which is completely free and lets you install DOS or Windows 98 and run old games easily.

Buleste
18th August 2008, 18:57
I've just had a quick check and as Harrison said it'll work fine with DosBox which can be downloaded from here. (http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1)

merlin20674
18th August 2008, 19:59
yeah thanx it does work just fine, took me a while to remember how dos worked and mounting drives etc, but figured it out. thanx for all your help appreiciated.

still think the amiga version was alot smoother and better graphics inflight, but this loads instantly can be flying within mins and theres now disk swopping.

danny

Buleste
18th August 2008, 20:10
If you have a Miggy with a hard drive you should try the WHDLoad versions.

Go here (http://www.whdownload.com/games/Update-2007-02-28/Gunship2000_v3.1_AGA_0371.zip) for the AGA version or here (http://www.whdownload.com/games/Update-2007-02-28/Gunship2000_v3.1_0808.zip) for the normal version (These links include the game itself.)

merlin20674
18th August 2008, 20:15
not got an amiga anymore, played the AGA version on winaue though and that was ok.

merlin20674
25th August 2008, 11:26
arghhhhh AGA version has a bug, my rockets don't hit anything lol, just as i made captian.

oh well back to normal version.

Danny

FOL
25th August 2008, 11:29
arghhhhh AGA version has a bug, my rockets don't hit anything lol, just as i made captian.

oh well back to normal version.

Danny

Are you sure? maybe its a WinUAE issue. I have the CD32 Version and I have not seen this problem.

Buleste
25th August 2008, 13:55
Nope it's a definite bug that as soon as you become the leader of a flight you can't hit a fat bird with an insult. I think it's a bug in the whole of GS2000 not just the AGA version. I just get the rest of the flight to hit my targets and you can still go on. I don't think it's anything to do with rank as i've edited my rank with an editor and you're fine to start off with and then when you get command of a flight it all goes pear shaped.

FOL
25th August 2008, 23:24
Nope it's a definite bug that as soon as you become the leader of a flight you can't hit a fat bird with an insult. I think it's a bug in the whole of GS2000 not just the AGA version. I just get the rest of the flight to hit my targets and you can still go on. I don't think it's anything to do with rank as i've edited my rank with an editor and you're fine to start off with and then when you get command of a flight it all goes pear shaped.

I believe I finished it back in the day, and never had that issue, odd.