PDA

View Full Version : cd-rom rggl to RCA HELP !!

Tiago
30th July 2008, 19:04
I did a convertion from RGGL (cd-rom output 4 wires) to RCAs.
Usually the RGGL goes to a pc sound-blaster, but i change the cable and convertto RCA so i can plug directly to a stereo divice...

The questino is:

- each RCA (left and right) has 2 connections, inside and outside, so there 2x2=4
- the RGGL has 4 wires, so i read that you grab the rggl left cable and put in in the red inside rca (right), then the next wire, closest to the right one in the red outside rca, then the 3 wire in the rggl in the black inside rca and the 4 in the outside black rca.

4 to 4 right? wrong!

when i connect to my stereo he mix the channels,so it only works if i remove 1 wire from one rca, exemple: if i remove the red outside it works, but if not it will shup up the oposite speaker.... kind a strange...

Normal stereos use 2 wires for each speak (hoofer and twiter) (is that it in english?)
so he only accept 3 wires ..... Can anyone give a clue?

Stephen Coates
30th July 2008, 19:23
Not sure I quite understand how you are trying to wiring it up, but if the CDROM drive is RIGHT GROUND GROUND LEFT, then you would connect it as follows:

RIGHT -> Inside of connector 1
GROUND -> Outside of connector 1
GROUND -> Outside of connector 2
LEFT -> Inside of connector 2

Replace connector 1 and 2 with colours as I don't know which colour are which.

Correct name for the speakers is woofer and tweater.

Hope that helps.

woody.cool
30th July 2008, 19:28
Usually Left is white and Right is red!!!

Tiago
30th July 2008, 19:30
a friend of mine told me that i can only have one ground, not both connected to the RCAs.

About the inside/outside:
RIGHT -> Inside of connector 1
GROUND -> Outside of connector 1
GROUND -> Outside of connector 2
LEFT -> Inside of connector 2 (the left is inside? he told me it was outside):unsure:

woody.cool
30th July 2008, 19:45
Ground is inside
Left and right outside

Right (RED) -> RCA Right +
Ground -> RCA Right gnd

Ground -> RCA Left gnd
Left (WHITE) -> RCA Left +

So yes, you use both grounds!

If you only use one ground, then both left and right become a series circuit together, and breaking either left + or right + would stop both channels working, that's why you use both grounds, making two individual circuits.

Stephen Coates
30th July 2008, 19:50
(the left is inside? he told me it was outside)

Yes. The signal on an RCA connector should go on the inside connector, with the outside grounded. Regardless of whether it is left or right. Or video. Or whatever kind of signal it is.

Zetr0
30th July 2008, 20:23
The Amiga has only 1 ground for both the left and right stereo connectors, Optical drives have two, but leads generally combine the ground which doesn't make any difference to stereo.

However IF you are using a Suround sound its best to have seperate grounds, Another interesting effect is to use both grounds, one of them as an input, and you will get a false suround sound effect.

woody.cool
30th July 2008, 20:34
However IF you are using a Suround sound its best to have seperate grounds, Another interesting effect is to use both grounds, one of them as an input, and you will get a false suround sound effect.

I've done that by accident before, sounds quite cool, but makes vocals (on music) quieter.

Tiago
30th July 2008, 22:01
Thanks guys, i just remove the solder wires and solder again the right way, and it works perfectly, the sond is great, next i will put in in a old slot i have. It was a paralel port that i remove, painted and i will put now the RCAS, i will put photos later. :)