PDA

View Full Version : Gayle Chip Adapter

Tiago
28th July 2008, 23:06
Can anyone explain me what is this and where do we connect it?
what is the "reset problem of A1200 PCMCIA ports" ?

From Amigakit.com
Amiga A1200 Gayle adapter with PCMCIA fix and A1200 reset jumper.

This board fixes the reset problem of A1200 PCMCIA ports. The reset signal is used by the PCMCIA Ethernet cards.

The adapter also features a two pin reset switch header for A1200 tower reset buttons to connect to.

This adapter is compatible with all FastATA 1200 versions.

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=588&osCsid=d8ed1795bdb4eb3d449cba4141998b25

Buleste
29th July 2008, 08:29
Basically you clip it over the Gayle chip. This would then allow you to attatch a reset switch to the two pins. I don't know anything about the PCMCIA reset problem but it seems to be a signal sent by PCMCIA cards to the computer that is not being received. Nothing to do with an actual resetting of the computer itself. I may be wrong though.

Zetr0
29th July 2008, 09:54
As Buleste states quite correctly the Reset problem is about some cards (some SCSI / Networking Cards) not receiving a reset from the Amiga and vice versa, this only effects some revisions of motherboard for the life of me i am unsure but i think r1.4d are okay, but have a look up on it.

the other part of the adapter (the large pin arrary is for the IDE fix EXPRESS, this particular IDE unit although nearly 3 times faster (5.5MB per sec as opposed to 1.8MB) can be VERY fussy when it comes to devices and mobo revisions. but have a good read, as there are many that sware by the IDEFix Express!

Buleste
29th July 2008, 10:03
The large pin array also fits the FastATA devices (The latest is MKIII). Like the IDE Express they speed up the access times for IDE devices and are absolutly superb. AFAIK the only Mobo problems they have is if the clock port is incorrect (too many pins or pins in the wrong place). I had the Mk I version and it was brilliant. I'd still have it if it wasn't for OS4 hating it.