PDA

View Full Version : WHDLoad

Harrison
26th July 2008, 23:12
I've been spending some time today setting up a WHDLoad install on my A1200 and was wondering how many of our members use WHDLoad, and how many of you have registered and purchased a key?

Zetr0
27th July 2008, 00:09
Me me me me meeee

I have it.... I registered it... its well worth it.... not only does it get rid of anoying nagging requesters, but also everytime you boot up a game with it... its registered to your name... its like being part of the WHDLoad community i supose. :)

sarek2k
27th July 2008, 01:48
I am a registerd user too as Zetro knows ;) Alexh over @ e.a.b paid for me as a favour for old Amiga times in days gone by.

Yeah it is kinda cool to see ur name on the startup and summat to impress ur m8's with, with an equally firm NO u can't have the key ;)

Graham Humphrey
27th July 2008, 09:11
I registered it about two-and-a-half years ago and it was worth every penny... the "seeing your name" thing doesn't really apply to me as it was registered through my Dad's PayPal account so it's in his name, which sucks :lol:

Stephen Coates
27th July 2008, 11:51
I don't use it currently as I find it easier to just load games of the floppy disks. I will have a go with it on my A1200 one day though.

sarek2k
28th July 2008, 00:52
Yes, but I'm using a pirate key at the moment.

Would anyone really fess up to this one ;) Even here at C.A WHDload is sacred!

my_lo
28th July 2008, 07:44
Greatest piece of software. I have registered and i use it with the kgwhd packages... Awesome!

Buleste
28th July 2008, 08:45
Yes, but I'm using a pirate key at the moment.

Would anyone really fess up to this one ;) Even here at C.A WHDload is sacred!

I have a genuine registered version but unfortunatly there are torrents for a pirated version out there (I know i found one).

Demon Cleaner
28th July 2008, 14:29
I don't use it currently as I find it easier to just load games of the floppy disks. I will have a go with it on my A1200 one day though.Same here.

TiredOfLife
28th July 2008, 14:43
I don't use it currently as I find it easier to just load games of the floppy disks. I will have a go with it on my A1200 one day though.Same here.

This is a wind up surely?:blink:
In what way is it easier?

For someone who uses an Amiga as their main system, WHD is a godsend.

Demon Cleaner
28th July 2008, 14:49
Currently I'm only using WinUAE to do screenshots, and it works fine just booting the games from the discs, I wouldn't say it's easier, but never tried WHDLoad out, because I didn't need it so far.

Tiago
28th July 2008, 15:23
I finaly installed ClassicWB and i try the first kgwhd package.
Works nice!

This is really a good software.

anyone nows how much space for the full kgwhd packages ?

Buleste
28th July 2008, 15:31
I'd recommend going to http://www.whdownload.com/ to get individual downloads. The site doesn't have all the latest updates but it does have a lot and that way you can get the version that you want. That is of course if you don't want to D/l all the KG stuff.

Graham Humphrey
28th July 2008, 15:36
I think if those people who don't currently use WHDLoad (especially on a real Amiga) give it a go they'll never look back.

Buleste
28th July 2008, 15:39
I agree. If you have a real amiga nad a hard drive then get it. It's one of the most usefull pieces of software out there especially if you own a 1200 and are having problems with some of the older games.

Bloodwych
28th July 2008, 15:41
I finaly installed ClassicWB and i try the first kgwhd package.
Works nice!

This is really a good software.

anyone nows how much space for the full kgwhd packages ?

About 4.3GB uncompressed!!! And that doesn't include the demos.

However, many games are clones or different languages, so you can probably squeeze that down by quite a bit. I'd say you can get pretty much every game you want onto 4GB hard drive, but with 2MB memory you may have issues with multi-disk games. You can play with the icon tool types and get rid of "preload" which loads all the disk images into RAM first, that sometimes helps. You can also hold the left or right mouse button on boot to save memory, as ClassicWB has multi-boot features:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/multiboot.htm

Still, you will run into one or two that refuse to run, That's when you'll need fastram.

Did you find the script icons for adding games to the WHDLoad launcher? All you have to do is double click them and they'll do all the work for you.

Tiago
28th July 2008, 15:49
Did you find the script icons for adding games to the WHDLoad launcher? All you have to do is double click them and they'll do all the work for you.

:hmmm: no,
i just go to the games directory, choose a letter,choose the game and double click the game icon....
but i notice that if i go to "lanch" and then games it has only "bloodwych" ...

Bloodwych
28th July 2008, 15:57

:hmmm: no,
i just go to the games directory, choose a letter,choose the game and double click the game icon....
but i notice that if i go to "lanch" and then games it has only "bloodwych" ...

Double click that drawer/folder (named "files") next to the Launch icon. Have a look inside and double click "AddGames".

woody.cool
28th July 2008, 17:22
I use WHDLoad and have done for some time, however still unregistered.
I wonder if anyone knows, but is it still possible to get registrations for WHDLoad? (purchase registration from WHDLoad)

Graham Humphrey
28th July 2008, 17:39
Yes, check here (http://www.whdload.de/reg.html).

woody.cool
28th July 2008, 18:11
Yes, check here (http://www.whdload.de/reg.html).

Cheers! I think I may get a registration.

Harrison
28th July 2008, 23:31
At only £15 it is worth it. That isn't a huge amount of money and you support a great project and at the same time remove the annoying registration screen and wait time.

woody.cool
29th July 2008, 07:33
Do you get a file through email or do they give you a number to type in?

my_lo
29th July 2008, 07:54
You receive a file via email. That file is personalized which means that if you have paid with a paypal account named "Olivier Dubois", you will receive a file with that name. The launch screen of WHDLOAD will display that name as well...

woody.cool
29th July 2008, 09:26
You receive a file via email. That file is personalized which means that if you have paid with a paypal account named "Olivier Dubois", you will receive a file with that name. The launch screen of WHDLOAD will display that name as well...
Does it still have that long delay (showing the launch screen) before the game starts?

Buleste
29th July 2008, 09:29
It's much quicker. Some of the delay is due to the preload. If you have a large game e.g. Beneath A Steel Sky CD32 it takes ages for the game to start. This is because there is soooo much to preload.

killergorilla
30th July 2008, 09:05
Does it still have that long delay (showing the launch screen) before the game starts?

It only shows the second launch screen, the one with the game name by default.

But just edit your whdload.prefs file and add the line "SplashDelay=0" then you won't get a single splash screen before your game starts.

Harrison
30th July 2008, 11:17
Except it is useful to get that second splash screen as it gives you some important information, such as which key has been mapped to quit.

killergorilla
30th July 2008, 16:37
Except it is useful to get that second splash screen as it gives you some important information, such as which key has been mapped to quit.

Not exactly helpful when I've globally set my quitkey :)

Harrison
31st July 2008, 10:03
Do you know if the quit key is globally set in the ClassicWB packs? I noticed they are all so far using F10. But globally setting a quit key could cause issues as some games will be using that key for an in game function.

Bloodwych
31st July 2008, 10:20
Do you know if the quit key is globally set in the ClassicWB packs? I noticed they are all so far using F10. But globally setting a quit key could cause issues as some games will be using that key for an in game function.

There is no globally set key in the ClassicWB packs - everything is set to default, so that must be F10 for most packs (although some seem to use print screen).

If you want to change universal settings, go to Settings (top left corner menu) ->Startup->WHDLoad. There you can alter global options.

The same settings can be found under the Launch menu->Settings->Startup or double clicking the WHDLoad.prefs file in the S directory.

To set the quit key individually, put the option in the tool types.

killergorilla
1st August 2008, 17:34

Just override the global setting in the game's tooltypes. :)

Harrison
1st August 2008, 17:37
I just prefer to leave it as default. The splash screen tells me which key is quit, and any others that have been mapped which sometimes is the case. I don't mind the screen appearing for a second or so.

But it is useful to know that it can be set in the tooltypes.

killergorilla
4th August 2008, 09:28
Yeah, why would you want an easy to remember global quitkey eh! :lol:

Madness!

woody.cool
29th August 2008, 17:52
Now I'm registered. Yay!!!!

FOL
3rd September 2008, 22:47
I just prefer to leave it as default. The splash screen tells me which key is quit, and any others that have been mapped which sometimes is the case. I don't mind the screen appearing for a second or so.

But it is useful to know that it can be set in the tooltypes.

Same here, it tells you the quit key, so i leave it at that, :).

On topic, Registering WHDLoad was the best thing I ever done, :).

killergorilla
4th September 2008, 08:58

Ba, you're all idiots! Idiots I tells ya! :fool:

Buleste
4th September 2008, 09:18

We prefer the term sanity challenged.:lol:

killergorilla
5th September 2008, 01:07

We prefer the term sanity challenged.:lol:

And I'm sure you prefer the term to appear in front of you instead of already knowing it right? :fool:

Harrison
5th September 2008, 11:40
The problem with having a globally set quite key is that if for example you have it set to F10 then some games will actually be using that key for some in game function. So it will clash. Leaving it as the default for each game/demo means this shouldn't occur.

killergorilla
5th September 2008, 14:21
As I've already said, just set those games up with their own quitkey. I have every single one of my games using prt scr. I don't play flightsims though which are likely to be the only games which use that key.

Or if you're using WinUAE, just set it to F11, no amiga games use that :)

Harrison
5th September 2008, 15:34
However WinUAE does! ;)

killergorilla
6th September 2008, 15:08
What does WinUAE use F11 for? ;)

Harrison
8th September 2008, 14:27
"KG forgets about the smart vB post history feature"

"Harrison clicks the post history for KG's original post above and sees that KG has changed F12 to F11"

"KG is caught out"

;)

Buleste
8th September 2008, 14:31
BUSTED!!!!!! (Very sneaky though. I saw the original post and saw the F12 but up until i just read Harrisons post i didn't realise you'd changed it!! Sly:ninja:)

killergorilla
9th September 2008, 14:51
I never changed a thing ;)

StuKeith
9th September 2008, 16:18
Just registered now! Looking forward to having a legal key! :)

Harrison
9th September 2008, 16:22
It is definitely one of the best purchases you can make for your Amiga. Especially if used with KGWHD packs and ClassicWB. :)