PDA

View Full Version : Switching out Amiga 1000 internal floppy

humboldt
22nd July 2008, 04:06
I recently got my old Amiga 1000 out of the garage and Im trying to get it all going again.

I ordered some new copies of Kickstart and Workbench off the internet. My internal floppy has a really hard time loading workbench, it grinds away and takes multiple retrys. Ive tried a disk cleaning kit and it didnt help.

I also have 1010 external floppy drive that seems to work just fine. My question to all the experts out there is this: Can I switch out the internal drive for the 1010 floppy? Are the internal power and interface connections the same? Will the eject button work?

If anyone has any advice or experience with this it would be appreciated, thanks.

Harrison
22nd July 2008, 08:24
The only way to know would be to open up the external drive and compare the two to see if it will fit.

An alternative is to try and find a replacement internal drive. I recommend you go to our sister site http://www.amibay.com and post a wanted advert for a floppy drive on there. Someone might be able to help you.

humboldt
23rd July 2008, 02:14
Thanks for the tip, I posted for a replacement on there.

Also I just tried switching out the two drives with mixed results. The drive from the external 1010 worked perfectly when attached as the internal and the eject button seemed to line up OK.

BUT with the case and front panel all back in place there was something blocking the disk from properly going into the drive and seating properly. In the end I just couldnt get it to line up with the front panel...

So Im back to square one...

Harrison
23rd July 2008, 11:28
Hopefully someone on Amibay can help you. At least you could run the external drive as the internal drive with the case off until you get a replacement.