PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII not exclusive PS3

Demon Cleaner
15th July 2008, 14:29
Final Fantasy XIII will not be exclusive for PS3 but will be released simultaneously with the XBox360 version. Square Enix did not give any information of a release date yet. The game will start exclusively for the PS3 in Japan, and will then be translated in other languages as fast as possible (usually this takes some time, as we all know!).

Submeg
15th July 2008, 14:45
Why oh why would they release it on the Xbox? Fools...

Harrison
15th July 2008, 15:10
I know why. Because I bet they are also developing it for the PC, and it is quite easy to port PC games to the 360.

Sharingan
15th July 2008, 16:34
Perhaps it is true that developing next-gen games (and, in particular, PS3 games) has become so prohibitively expensive, that even large companies like Squeenix need to bring out a game on as many platforms as possible in order to make a profit.

I'm just hoping that FFXIII won't be a watered down game now, considering they'll have to take into account the limited storage space of the Xbox disc medium. Here I was hoping they'd be able to finally go nuts with the high def video, eye candy and uncompressed video due to having so much storage capacity.

Oh well ... can't fault a company for wanting to make more money. Blame Sony for not acting more aggressively in light of Microsoft's current all-out offensive.

Harrison
15th July 2008, 16:59
If it is released on the PS3 first then I am hoping it will be the best version, with the 360 release then being reworked to fit the smaller media. Or the 360 release will be a multi DVD game.

Demon Cleaner
15th July 2008, 17:20
I already have multi DVD games for the 360, f.ex. Blue Dragon (3 discs), Lost Odyssey (3 discs). But M$ will release an update soon that lets you install your games to HDD, and as I've the Elite version with 120GB, this could be great, at least less noise will come from the DVD reader and loading times will be faster.

Zetr0
15th July 2008, 18:47
Hack an XBox... i can promise you will all feel better :)

Submeg
15th July 2008, 23:27
I'm just like, give up already! It sucks. Leave it alone :P Yea u might have guessed, I think M$ should have stuck with PCs....

Demon Cleaner
16th July 2008, 01:21
I'm just like, give up already! It sucks. Leave it alone :P Yea u might have guessed, I think M$ should have stuck with PCs....That was the decision of Square Enix, has nothing to do with M$. Heard about their statement this evening on Giga Games, apparently they want to share the game with a larger public, and not only with PS3 owners. In Japan it will only be released for the PS3 though.

Harrison
16th July 2008, 01:34
The shows how small the 360 market is in Japan, whereas in America the 360 market is still larger than the PS3.

J T
16th July 2008, 10:48
I can just imagine all the "OH NOES" from PS3tards and "w00ts" from x-bots over this news.

Me, I really don't care too much. It's quite funny to see some people heartbroken over this, and others overjoyed over the same thing - when really it's just all a load of bollocks anyway.

Sharingan
16th July 2008, 11:08
Fanboys will be fanboys.

Judging from the comments I've seen, it's like the game is no longer coming out on the PS3 at all!

I'm kind of wondering here though, since almost all games are coming out on all consoles anyway, wouldn't it be much more efficient to have one console in the market? What about a XPlaystationBox 720? Kind of a waste of resources to spend so much effort in developing games for so many different architectures.

J T
16th July 2008, 11:35
I've wondered that before, but I think that without competition the prices could well be sky-high. Consoles aren't cheap as it is, and they're being sold for a loss.

Then again, maybe the life-span would be extended significantly if companies weren't trying to out do each other in tech-spec willy waving.

There's certainly arguments for both sides. Personally I prefer having different consoles with their own merits and weaknesses.

Teho
16th July 2008, 13:43
Yes, diversity is definitely a plus. If there were no competition then development would stagnate in my opinion. As for life spans, some developers talk about about ten-year cycles for their systems. Makes sense if you consider the life spans of their systems overlap a couple of years each generation change. The PS2 is still outselling most others two years into the PS3s cycle, and the PS1 was supported a long while after the PS2 came out as well.

Windows is a perfect example of what happens when there's little competition. Every person who knows what's what agrees that it is the slowest, most bloated resource-hungry beast around. But it's the industry standard now, there's no immediate need for the developer to be innovative and efficient. Keeping control is much more important.