PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning inside the computer

Harrison
22nd January 2007, 17:18
Do you clean the inside of your computers? And if so how often? and what do you use?

I like to make sure my PCs are dust free and generally dust the outside of the case once a week and use a hoover on the fan mounting points to remove any dust build up that always occurs. And every couple of months I like to take the side of the case and hoover out any dust that has collected in the case and on the fans themselves.

People online go on about using compressed air to shift the dust inside a case, but I've always just used the fine nozzle on the hoover.

So does everyone else keep their computers dust free? or are you like most and never open the case so it is full of big clods of dust building up on the floor of the case, around all the fans and heatsinks and clogged up in all of the intakes and case ventilation holes?

I suddenly thought about this because a friend rang me today and asked if I had time to look at their family computer. They had been using it last Friday night and suddenly the computer display shut down and the monitor went into standby. They tried rebooting and after a few minutes the same happened again.

They dropped the PC off this afternoon and I quickly tested it by hooking it up and booting it. Everything seemed to running fine, then after a few minutes of leaving it running I noticed the back of the case was getting very hot. I opened up the case and instantly saw the problem. There was so much dust inside the case it had clogged up the fan on the graphics card and stopped it spinning. I freed it up but it keeps making a noise every so often like the fan is on its way out, probably after a long period of the motor trying to run with the blades stuck.

So the moral of that story is, keep the area your PC is in dust free, clean and dust the outside of the case regularly, and when possible give the inside a quick hoover out too. It will extend the life of the components inside the PC for much longer.

AlexJ
22nd January 2007, 17:34
Well my desktop is run open case most of the time, and anyway with a perspex window when it is closed, any dust looks unsightley so is quickly removed.

Harrison
22nd January 2007, 17:41
Do you run it open due to overheating?

Normally with a case if the fan setup is correct it will only work properly with the case closed as the fans will create an air pressure difference inside the case to force the air to circulate.

My main system also has a clear side and I'm the same. Any dust on the inside is instantly noticeable and gets removed.

AlexJ
22nd January 2007, 17:53
Do you run it open due to overheating?

Normally with a case if the fan setup is correct it will only work properly with the case closed as the fans will create an air pressure difference inside the case to force the air to circulate.

My main system also has a clear side and I'm the same. Any dust on the inside is instantly noticeable and gets removed.

Not to do with overheating - it's just always changing and messing around with it. But yeah the pressure thing is definately noticeable. When I had finished building it, the machine was really cold inside. Now with the case off it's at room temperature.

Stephen Coates
22nd January 2007, 18:03
Mine went for about 6 or 7 years without being cleaned.

Well, the fans, PSU and processor/heatsink had never been cleaned. I had cleaned out other bits of dust before.

I did clean out the PSU, processor, fans and heatsink early last year mand they were covered in dust. Certainly not enough to make it clog the fans up but enough to make the fan blades and processor's packaging look grey instead of black. It is now all lovely and clean.

rayzorblue
23rd January 2007, 11:07
I cleaned mine a little (blew the dust out lol) when i put the new dvd burner in but i have never opened it specifically to clean it. Although i did always take a hoover to the grill on the side of my gamecube whenever i was cleaning.

Demon Cleaner
23rd January 2007, 13:14
I never clean mine which is open on both sides and runs 24/24. I sometimes blow off the dust of the CPU fan, that's all.

Harrison
23rd January 2007, 13:17
Having the case completely open will probably prevent most buildup on the insides of the case. It normally happens due to fans sucking the dust into the enclosed space. In your case, any fans in the system probably just suck the dust in and then circulate it nicely around the room. :lol:

How come you run it completely open?

Demon Cleaner
23rd January 2007, 13:23
How come you run it completely open?I have to open it in the summer, as my HDD temperatures go up to 60C and more. I then use my two 220V Papst fans to cool them down to 35-40C. And I'm just too lazy to close it, it's nothing else than that. Perhaps as an excuse, I would say, if I have to fiddle around in the case, I don't have to open it anymore :)

J T
23rd January 2007, 13:44
I have a friend that does a similar thing. His home gets pretty hot in the summer and his PC is left on 24/7, so he takes all the sides off and points big desk fans at it. Looks pretty ghetto but it seems to work reasonably well.

Harrison
23rd January 2007, 14:00
I had to do that with one of my systems a couple of years back as the CPU was reaching 60 degrees C in the summer. A desk fan dropped it down to the mid 40's.