PDA

View Full Version : Eye Of the Beholder AGA!!!!

Buleste
10th July 2008, 14:08
I've just found a web page that claims to have remade EOB1 for AGA. Heres (http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB1+AGA+GAME) the page. I'll let you know if it works.

EDIT It works and it looks beutifull. It's basically using PC graphics on a AGA Amiga but it still looks good.

Harrison
10th July 2008, 14:14
:o NO WAY! I've got to play this! I love EOB and always wished the Amiga version's graphics were the same as the 256 colour PC version. So now we have the best of both. The much better audio from the Amiga version, and the more detailed and higher colour PC graphics. Awesome!!!

Are you going to add a new entry for this on the site? I think it deserves its own page rather than just a note on the original game's page.

Buleste
10th July 2008, 15:28
Who's the Daddy???;)
I'll sort out something soon.
I found it via this (http://hobring.esero.net/index.htm) webpage, I'm no good at reading Slaavic languages but somethings look the same in every language. Thats what i get for trying to fing stuff on Evils Doom. (just wish i could get winUAE to unpack the evils doom exe on there.)

Just noticed that our very own Zetr0 is mentioned in the Doc file for giving technical help. Also CFou is working on DuneIIAGA!!!!

I've added a quick page and some quick screen shots to go with it. I'll fill in the details, add a link and do some more screenshots when i've got a chance.

Harrison
10th July 2008, 15:36
Have you also noticed there is also an EOB II AGA remake? http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME

Buleste
10th July 2008, 16:05
I've just been reading a eab thread on that but couldn't find a link. Thanks for that. More work to do.;)

Added a quick page on the main site.

Zetr0
10th July 2008, 20:38
:D

some of Jacks and Cfou's best work to date there people... I just brought good looks to the party ;) :D

Buleste
10th July 2008, 21:21
Boy, would i like to have been blind at that party!!;)

Do you know if they're doing DuneII_AGA??

Zetr0
10th July 2008, 23:03
There is some talk over it.... and I believe CFou has done some decompilation of some of the file types, But alas I am to get into it.... to many other projects at the moment LOL

There is another Wiki project as well for EOB, I really need to maintain it a better, the idea behind it is ONE of them is complete decomposition of the EOB engine and files, including compression methods, data store and game handling, the other project is to put all this into an editor for the game designers :)

Harrison
11th July 2008, 12:02
It is amazing that such projects are launched and completed. Just shows how great the Amiga community is.

I was thinking. If fans can extract the graphics, along with other files from a game and manage to rebuild it with the higher quality 256 colour graphics, so that it runs on AGA Amigas, why the hell didn't the original developers do this back in the day? The fact that fans can do this proves that it isn't that difficult a task in the great scheme of things, especially for the original developers of the game, who would already have the graphics from the games anyway, so they wouldn't need to fiddle around extracting anything. Quite mad! I can guarantee an AGA re-release of EOB would have been very popular and everyone who bought the original would have wanted it. I know I would have.

An AGA version of Dune II would also be really great. There are also quite a few other Amiga titles that saw 256 colour PC releases. Any of those planned for conversion/update by anyone?

Buleste
11th July 2008, 12:05
I think they were looking at mainly Westwood games.

Zetr0
11th July 2008, 15:46
The EOB AGA came about from the collision of 3 other projects,

Jack Assers Eye Of the Beholder for the Commodore 64 (its awesome) part of the C64 Competition, he got first for his work with EoB64

CFou's Amazing passion for decompiling EOB and hence EOB2, he also re-done EOB into other languages such as French / German, Itallian as well, the guy is a French Lawyer and can absolutely run rings around my ASM!!!!!! so much so, by the time i have worked out the block movements, he has alread tied 100 knots!!!! LOL

Xuantu's Eye of the Beholder Reconstruction Project (various platforms), I believe he has built a level designer, atleast in part and 3D :D

so the collision of the above caused a huge fusion of debate and deelopment of EoB AGA :)

TiredOfLife
11th July 2008, 15:50
Downloaded EOBII and EOBII AGA some time ago and never got round to comparing them to the originals.

Will have to do that over the weekend.

Buleste
12th July 2008, 17:55
I wonder if it would be possible top convert EOBIII to the Amiga?

Buleste
14th July 2008, 11:47
I've added a link to SaveEd for those who want to enhance their abilities on both EOB and EOBII.

Harrison
14th July 2008, 15:05
I wonder if it would be possible top convert EOBIII to the Amiga?

I got hold of a copy of EOBIII for the PC a long time ago, but I've never played it very far. Really should at some point. And yes, it would be amazing to get an Amiga conversion. I can't see why it wouldn't be possible. The structure and graphics are no different really to EOBII on the PC. However you would need to recode the whole game unlike the previous ones where the PC graphics were added to the existing Amiga games.

Buleste
14th July 2008, 15:08
I managed to D/l a copy of EOBIII i just haven't managed to play it yet. I'll have to get the latest version of DosBox first. Still it would be nice to have the complete trilogy on the Miggy though.

Buleste
14th July 2008, 16:09
To give people an idea of the differences in graphics between ECS and AGA versions of EOTB I've redone the screenshots for both versions and taken then in nearly identical places using the same save game. More than anyhting it shows how good the original version actually is.