PDA

View Full Version : First C64 LAN party worldwide!!

Demon Cleaner
9th July 2008, 08:03
Last weekend was the first C64 LAN party worldwide, on the Cincinnati Commodore Computer Club 2008 Expo. They used a PC as server with a running Java program. The network adaptors which were especially created for the C64, were created by fans.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/c64lan.jpg

The game NetRacer had his first appearance on this expo, which was playable over LAN or internet by 8 players simultaneously. The game was inspired from a special version of Artillery Duel, which now was the first network title for the C64 worldwide.

Artillery Duel for the C64
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/Artillery_Duel.png

Puni/Void
9th July 2008, 10:15
Thanks for posting this, Demon. It was an interesting read. It's incredible that hardware is still being produced for this legendary machine.

That NetRacer game seems like fun. Would have been cool to link up some C64's and have a go at that one! :D

Harrison
9th July 2008, 11:37
It is amazing what people are still doing with vintage systems. It is indeed great to see what people can achieve on systems that are so underpowered compared to today's systems.

It also amazes me what they can get 8-bit systems to do. Multitasking OSs, servers, lan parties etc. All amazing stuff.

Is a bit of a shame they had to use a PC as the server. Would have been amazing had they managed to get a C64 or C128 to server the game.

Zetr0
10th July 2008, 20:45
I bought a DTV C64 Joystick with 30 C64 games on it...

some of them my favourites... to name but a few....

Paradroid
Uridium
Karate Championship A/B (IK+)
Pitstop 1/2
Cybernoid 1 & 2

so me testing the unit out on my 42" plasma... took a long time.... nearly 5 hours... but i just HAD to beat paradroid again.

the stick i got from QD's in town for the princely sum of £4.99, they have a few more if anyone wants one :D

I am going to hack this joystick i think... theres some tutorials online somewhere... I just need to catchup with some projects first...

Demon Cleaner
11th July 2008, 06:20
I already have the DTV since some years now, but I never tested it, and only because it needs 4 AA batteries.

You beat Paradroid without cheating? Back in time on the C64 this was and still is one of my all time favorites. Andrew Braybrook rulez!

Teho
11th July 2008, 09:57
Yeah, I also got the DTV a while back. Tested it as well when I got it, and have used it a couple of times since. But I admit to buying it just because of the novelty factor. And yeah, Paradroid is absolutely one the finest titles the C64 had. :)

I have heard of people modding it extensively, making a fully functional C64 out of it among other things.

Demon Cleaner
11th July 2008, 10:20
The Picodore 64 was made from a DTV. You know the Picodore 64 project I guess?

Harrison
11th July 2008, 13:21
Many of these console in a joystick systems have been hacked into full systems.

I've seen the Megadrive, NES, Atari 2600 and C64 ones converted. One of the Megadrive ones was even made to accept original carts! But these days I think a memory card is the much better way to go.

I've yet to see a hacked one that retains the original all in one joystick design. I would love to see one where it looks original but with a SDcard slot to load more games. That would be very cool.

BTW, what ever happened to the Amiga joystick? It was mentioned a couple of years ago, but then I didn't hear any more? Where some Amiga games released? I remember being disappointed to find out the Sensi Soccer one was the Megadrive port.