PDA

View Full Version : Help - my ram dkb1202 for 1200 passed away!

Tiago
8th July 2008, 20:27
Help - my ram dkb1202 for 1200 passed away! :suicide: :cry:

I turn on the A1200 and screen is black, i cannot hear HD or Floppy, i can only see only the lights. First 2 seconds of activity the floppy makes a sound but nothing else.
I try to change card jumpers to 8mb, 4mb and "none", nothing works, i am possitivly sure that is well pluged.

When i remove the card, the miggy works perfectly.
Could it be the ram card or the mainboard(some connections to the slot card)?

Zetr0
8th July 2008, 21:01
Hiyas Tiago,

If the DKB card has no memory on it does the A1200 boot with it installed?

have you tried another memory SIMM ?

JLPedro
8th July 2008, 21:34
Recent testing with a Hawk accelerator and a lot of 72 pin edo rams (i have 12 modules ranging from 4mb to 16mb), the result of a bad ram module is a black screen with nothing appening (i have experienced this with some 16mb 60ns that i've tested), so you maybe lucky enough and is just the ram module that is damaged. :dry: ( don't know why but all 4mb edo rams work... LOL)

Tiago
8th July 2008, 22:12
Hiyas Tiago,

If the DKB card has no memory on it does the A1200 boot with it installed?

have you tried another memory SIMM ?

I did try with no simm on the card and with jumper setting to "no ram" and it didnt work.
Tomorrow i will try other simm module, i have other 10 simm modules :) from other old pcs.

Zetr0
8th July 2008, 22:26
Good luck Taigo :D

Tiago
26th July 2008, 00:54
I testes yesterday in a second A1200 and with other 5 memory modules, the card is dead. :(
I must get a new one, and now that i have a tower project i will try a 030.

Zetr0
26th July 2008, 11:11
@Tiago

if you want my friend, I can have a look at it for you. Its possible one of the PAL chips has failed, if so I MAY be able to repair it for you.

Tiago
26th July 2008, 11:34
Will you do that for me?
I could send it to you, i send you the money to send it back (post), and some extra cash for the work.

Zetr0
26th July 2008, 12:14
@Tiago

dont worry about the work, I offer it free my friend, I will say that I cannot guarantee that I can fix it, but I will certainly have a look, PAL chips and traces I can repair, but shoud there be a fault that is out of side of my ability to fix then i shall send it back to you (i wont butcher the card).

With a little luck its likely to be a replacement chip :)

Tiago
26th July 2008, 12:56
that would be very nice Zetr0.
Next monday i am in vacation, so i have free time to go topost office. I you give me your postal address by PM i will send it to you. Do you have paypal? I would send you the $ to send it back to Portugal.