PDA

View Full Version : Your all-time favourite demos

Puni/Void
21st January 2007, 21:45
There are so many demos to choose from on the Amiga. Some truly amazing stuff has been produced by groups like Kefrens, Andromeda, Anarchy, The Silents, Ephidrena, The Black Lotus and many, many more. What are your all-time favourite demos, and why? Also, which is the worst demo you have seen?

TiredOfLife
21st January 2007, 23:02
Seem to remember a particualry bad one that came out a time whe the scene had hit a good level.
Sure it was on three or four disks as well.
May have been xtc.
Will check my collection over the next few days.

Demon Cleaner
22nd January 2007, 07:13
Have to check out some demos again, but as you know, I'm pretty busy with the games section. One demo that comes immediately to mind is the Sanity demo Elysium, as it has a great routine to display 144 vectors at one time on the screen with no slowdowns.

Harrison
22nd January 2007, 11:16
I don't think I've seen that one. Will take a quick look now. :)

Puni/Void
25th January 2007, 13:50
It's a great demo with cool music. Well worth seeing!

Harrison
25th January 2007, 14:38
I've watched it now and the vector/3D routines DC mentioned are definitely impressive running on A500 hardware. :)

Demon Cleaner
25th January 2007, 15:25
If I'm right, Sanity was the first group of achieving the task to display 144 vectors at one time on the screen. Before everyone was only getting to about 120 without slowdowns. That's how to exhaust the features of the blitter.

TiredOfLife
27th January 2007, 11:33
Right todays the day.
Will have a look through my collection.
Will defo see if XTC is the one I particuarly hated.

TiredOfLife
4th February 2007, 12:42
Well I failed to deliver yet again.
Have started looking through stuff downloaded recently today though.
Couldn't bring myself to switch off the Badger demo.
So hypnotic, especially with the sound coming out of my midi.
Made using Hollywood.
Keep meaning to look into that as I have heard some good things.

Edwinner
4th February 2007, 23:14
I remember a demo called "Jesus on E's" or something like that. It was pretty cool at the time. Runs on two disks and quite good on an A500.

rayzorblue
4th February 2007, 23:26
My favourite demo was a one that had a rave song on it and some awesome graphical stuff, it was the tune that was awesome though cant remember wat the demo was called though but i think the song was called all night ive mentioned this before so im resigned to never seeing it again now real shame too i loved the image of a cartoon dog that flashed up occasionally too.:(

Harrison
5th February 2007, 00:57
I remember a demo called "Jesus on E's" or something like that. It was pretty cool at the time. Runs on two disks and quite good on an A500.

Jesus on E's was a very popular demo at the time and was probably the best known demo outside of the main demo scene. Everyone I knew had seen it, even those that would normally only ever play games on their Amiga's and never demos.

For me, although I remember thinking it was quite impressive at the time, I personally thought it got a bit boring as it was too long and dragged on.

TiredOfLife
5th February 2007, 21:45
Jesus on Es, Desert Dreams, Oddysey, 9 Fingers, Maximum OverdriveII are some of my favourites.
Seem to remember liking Dataworld 1 + 2.
Try to find them recently to have another look but can only find copies in loads of little packages, due to the size.
I'm sure I had at least one of them on a cover CD in one archive.
Will keep looking.

Puni/Void
5th February 2007, 22:29
I see you mention several good demos there. 9 Fingers and Desert Dream are truly brilliant stuff. The same goes for the Dataworld wild-demos, which were quite stunning for its time. A lot of great 3D stuff are included, along with a cool soundtrack.

Btw, you don't happen to have some old demo packdisks, TiredOfLife? I'm searching for all kinds of old demo stuff, so if you have something old that maybe it's not on the Internet, it would be great if you could make some ADF's of those (or .dms). Thanks in advance. :)

TiredOfLife
6th February 2007, 19:04
Got tons of stuff on Amiga floppy.
Will do a list on here.
The let me know what you want and I will adf them.

Harrison
6th February 2007, 22:25
If you post a list in the demo scene/site content (http://forum.classicamiga.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60) forum that would be great, then everyone working on the demo section can see what they are missing for the site.

Also if anyone else has some rare or hard to find online demos then please also post a list of what you have in the same demo scene/site content (http://forum.classicamiga.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60) forum as that will really help out with resource locating for the site. :)

TiredOfLife
7th February 2007, 00:21
Will do, no probs.

Puni/Void
7th February 2007, 10:34
Thanks a lot, TiredOfLife! I'm really looking forward to see the list. It will be very helpful when thinking about the Demo Section. :)