PDA

View Full Version : Amiga Music Software

Toddney
23rd June 2008, 11:48
Hi,

Bit of a random request, but I'll give it a shot. What sort of music software is/was available for the Amiga? I have an A600 and an old 80s Yamaha M1 Korg, and so was wondering what my options are.

Can I connect the keyboard to the amiga via some sort of Midi port? What programs are out there?

TIA

Buleste
23rd June 2008, 14:18
For free software try Aminet. Commercial software like Bars and Pipes is available in adf form from various sites like BTTR. As for pluging MIDI to Amiga you need a MIDI port which usually plug into the serial port. These can be found on ebay or Amibay.

Harrison
23rd June 2008, 15:43
There are a few different commercial MIDI sequencers available for the Amiga. The 4 big commercial ones are:

KCS Level II
Music X and Notator-X
Bars and Pipes Professional
Sequencer One Plus

In addition the Amiga had its own music format known as modules or mod for short. These use a type of program called a tracker where composers use a collection of audio samples and sequence them into 4 music tracks (as supported by the Amiga's hardware).

One tracker application that may also interest you is called OctaMed Pro. This is now freeware, and although it is foremost a module based tracker, it also works with MIDI and supports 48 channels. This also interfaces with the commercial software Bars and Pipes Pro, which is now also freeware.

The official OctaMED site is http://www.medsoundstudio.com/

As for connecting MIDI, as Buleste already mentioned, you will need a MIDI interface to give you the MIDI ports on the Amiga. The most famous is called the Steinberg Amiga MIDI interface. If you can find one of those that is the best to get. Failing that, there were other makes of MIDI interface and it doesn't really matter which you get as they should all work. Most connect to the serial or parallel port.

I've actually got an Amiga MIDI interface that I don't use, so if you are interested PM me with an offer. It's unbranded so I don't know what make it is, but it worked when I tried it out a few years ago.

In regard to MIDI, Commodore didn't directly support the MIDI device protocol until Workbench 3.1, so for older versions of Workbench, as you are probably using on your A600, you might need to installed the Commodore Amiga MIDI Driver, known as CAMD).

Also have a look on the main classicamiga site as I've already added some Audio/music/MIDI applications to the new software database (http://www.classicamiga.com/component/option,com_jreviews/Itemid,175/), and I will be adding many more when I get time.

Toddney
23rd June 2008, 16:59
Thanks for the information. I may take you up on that offer for the midi port, but am not sure at the moment.

I have Sequencer One Plus, and also Bars & Pipes on diskette, but have never used them (my dad did). Do the tracker programs require a musical keyboard, or can you input the notes/pitch etc via the keyboard/mouse?

Would I gain anything over using the PC to compose? I am mainly after composing 80s game style music.

Buleste
23rd June 2008, 17:04
You don't need a music keyboard for a tracking programme and playing around with it for a bit usually helps. If you're feeling really adventurous i've found this (http://home.concepts-ict.nl/~nctnico/midi.htm#l1) site with schematics and instructions for building your own MIDI Interface.

Harrison
23rd June 2008, 17:06
All music for games on the Amiga were composed using trackers. You don't need a keyboard. You can just edit the music using the keyboard/mouse and any mod tracker you want to use.

One really good tracker you could take a look at is Protracker. It's what most used. And as already mentioned OctaMED is another really good one, and that has the added advantage that you can use keyboard and real music based notation if you wish.

Buleste
23rd June 2008, 17:13
Another option is try blagging Zetr0 to see if he'll dig up the ProjectXG stuff he was going to build for someone on EAB. It'll cost money but you get a soundcard as well.

Toddney
23rd June 2008, 18:37
Cool, will be trying these trackers out tonight :D

Btw I just found a DATIC Midi-Interface which seems to be for the Amiga. Anyone heard of this?

Buleste
23rd June 2008, 21:39
Is this (http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=691) it?

Toddney
24th June 2008, 09:04
Yep that is exactly the same model. So I guess I can use that to connect my keyboard to the amiga.

I tried that Protracker (version 3.15) last night, and it sure is complicated! Does anyone have a beginners program they can recommend, or a manual for this? And also, which version should I use, considering I have Workbench 2.1 and Rom 2.05?

Harrison
24th June 2008, 09:58
I think any version of ProTracker should work with all Amigas. At least all running Workbench 2 or newer as the Amiga's audio capabilities haven't changed since the first Amiga was released. So the newest version you can find I suppose. Anyone else know any different?

ProTracker is definitely quite hard to begin with. You have to remember that it developed from a programmers point of view more than a musicians which goes some way to explain the interface and why it works as it does. I would recommend you give OctaMED Pro a try instead as you should be more at home with that as it is designed more with a musician in mind.

Toddney
25th June 2008, 08:47
Hi,

I downloaded OctoMed but I found that the GUI was even more complicated than Protracker. So on some research, I came across GameMusicCreator which is for the new starters. I got used to the 4 channel design, and the various functions, and made some funky tunes. I then went back into Protracker, but my only obstacle so far is getting any instruments to work? How do I load them? I have a ton of ST-DISCs unzipped in a folder on my amiga.

It was really easy to load them in GMC, but on Protracker I can't find any option for it. Any help is really appreciated.

Toddney
26th June 2008, 09:20
Should I add the ST Discs into a special directory, and then the instruments show up? Or what am I missing?

Demon Cleaner
26th June 2008, 10:40
I remember when using SoundTracker at the time, the discs (with the instruments) were named ST01, ST02, ST03... perhaps it doesn't want the whole bunch in one directory, but on the discs?

Harrison
26th June 2008, 10:45
Have a look at the ProTracker Handbook (http://www.silent-dreams.de/handbook.html). That contains a lot of info about the program and should help you.