PDA

View Full Version : Tosec to Gamebase?

my_lo
21st June 2008, 15:51
I have a full Tosec collection of amiga games and i'd like to use it with Gamebase amiga... Anyone knows how i could transform my set to something useable with Gamebase? i think they all need to be zipped by game and placed in alphabetically named folders but i don't really feel like doing it manually :hmmm:

SOLVED :cool:

I've used clearmame (http://clrmame.com/) and the .dat file provided here (http://gbamiga.elowar.com/files/@Main/Dat%20-%20GameBase%20Amiga%20-%20Games%20(v1.5).zip)

my_lo
22nd June 2008, 11:47
I have another question concerning this:

when i use clearmame to transform my tosec set to one usable by gamebase, do the diferent disks of a game have to be in the same zip?
For example:

Alien Breed_Disk1.zip
Alien Breed_Disk2.zip

OR

Alien Breed.zip (containing disk1 & 2)

Because when i launch the game, it works fine except that it still prompts when i need to swap disks and then i have to swap them via winuae.
Is it because of the zip files or is there another way for gamebase to automically swap the disks?

Also, besides editing the .uae file in the configurations folder of gamebase, is there another way to speed up the floppies to 800% speed?

Harrison
22nd June 2008, 21:35
Disk swapping during a game is really down to the game as it is how the game is coded rather than using gamebase.

If you want to get rid of diskswapping/adf swapping altogether have a look at the KGWHD project and it is easiest to use it with the classicwb setup.

my_lo
28th June 2008, 14:02
Excuse my noobishness but i don't really understand the whole whdload thing.

1. I have installed winuae + classicWB full
2. I have copied my whdload key to s
3. I have the kgwhd packs
4. I have the complete tosec set

So, i mount a hd with my uncompressed kgwhd packs. I go to the folder of alien breed for example, i click on the icon and the spashscreen team17 pop up but then it stops and comes back to the workbench...
Do i need to do something else?

my_lo
28th June 2008, 22:51
Actually, i have made a few other tests and, for example, 3d pool doesn't work but 1943 does. Is it a problem of kickstart or simply a non working game, alien breed doesn't work and 1000miglia either but beneath a steel sky works perfectly...
They all come from the KGWHD packs, is it normal or do i have to change the kickstart (or another solution)?

Buleste
30th June 2008, 09:19
You should have the base kickstarts installed in DEVS:kickstarts. If you read the documentation for WHDLoad it tells you whichj kickstarts you need and any other aditional files.

Harrison
30th June 2008, 11:06
Yep. WHDLoad should work perfectly with a Kickstart 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 setup. It runs older A500 games by using some emulation and a image of the original kickstart 1.3 roms, placed (as Buleste said) in your DEVS:kickstart directory.

Hopefully then all of the older games you try should run and work properly.

my_lo
30th June 2008, 14:56
I have all the kickstarts in the DEV:kickstarts folder and still many games just don't work.

Here is what i do:

1. I open dopus and i extract Alien breed - tower assault from the kgwhd pack to the game folder with the letter A, then i exit dopus

2. I open the drawer game - letter A and i go in the drawer Alien breed - Tower assault

3. I dubble click on the icon Alien Breed - tower assault

4. The mini info screen of whdload appears (i have bought a key, it's an offical...)

5. The spalsh screen team 17 appears, then fades and i'm back to the workbench

It does the same thing with almost 80% of the games

I only use the KGWHD packs, do i also need to add the adf disks of the games in the folder?

Harrison
30th June 2008, 15:19
No, you don't need to add the ADFs. All of the game data is already included with the KGWHD packs.

What setup are you using to run the games? Many WHDLoad installers need some fast ram to work. A minimum setup to get some games to run is 2MB of chip ram, but for many of the game you will also need some fast ram. A minimum setup I would recommend to run most well would be at least a 68030 CPU with 2MB chip ram and 4MB fast ram. More ram the better though.

Buleste
30th June 2008, 15:49
Do you have the .RTB files??? have you tried running snoopdos to see at what point it fails. Do you get any error messages? Do your kickstart images have the correct file name? And as Harrison says what setup are you using.

my_lo
1st July 2008, 07:10
Do you have the .RTB files??? have you tried running snoopdos to see at what point it fails. Do you get any error messages? Do your kickstart images have the correct file name? And as Harrison says what setup are you using.

I use ClassicWB full with 68030 2 mb chip ram and 4 mb fast ram
The kickstart files have the right names for whdload and the .rtb files are in the same folder as the kickstart files...

Do i need to do an install or something? I mean, i have only arcext the files to a game drawer, then i double click the icon from the kgwhd drawer. Is there a step by step guide somewhere, so i could see where i fail?
I've been browsing for days but i couldn't file any step-by-step "how to run a kgwhd on a classicwb install from scratch", when i'll have figured out everythin, i plan on writing one myself :rolleyes:

Buleste
1st July 2008, 09:29
TBH most of the KG installs should work fine as long as you have all the correct componants of WHDLoad installed regardless of wether you're using ClassicWb or any other option. Do you get any error messages at all??? Have you tried snoopdos???

killergorilla
1st July 2008, 11:06
I'm 99% this will solve your problem.

Delete your pirated whdload keyfile :)

my_lo
1st July 2008, 12:06
my key is original, not pirated :o

Here is the error i get with alien breed: Exception "Line 1111 Emulator" ($2c) at $10FFDE4E (Slave $33E) occured.

And the one i get with Bargon attack: Exception "Illegal Instruction" (10$) at $10FF92EE (Task 'exec.library', Slave $5E6) occured.

killergorilla
1st July 2008, 13:22
Hmm..

sounds odd.

Quitting back to wb all the time usually happens when your whdload.key file is a pirate copy. Maybe it's corrupted somehow? Try deleting it from your s dir and trying again?

Buleste
1st July 2008, 13:38
On your expansion board do you have your ROM stored in fastRAM? I know that sometimes exceptions can happen with strange memory addresses (the memory address on my BPPC can screw quite a few games up). Also where did you get your ROM files from. Some are more compatable than others (Strange but true).

my_lo
1st July 2008, 13:56
I deleted the key from the s drawer, nothing changes, still the same errors :hmmm:

I don't know whats the expansion board, where can i find it? For the roms, i have downloaded a package "all the kickstarts for whdload" from a friend who uses them without any problem...

killergorilla
1st July 2008, 16:59
Do you have a tcp/ip stack running at all?

Do you have any other problems with your ram card in other programs?

my_lo
1st July 2008, 17:08
Wow, this goes very technical, what's a tcp/ip stack? As for ram problems in other programs, if you mean outside winuae, i don't have any... Maybe i should reinstall it from scratch...

killergorilla
1st July 2008, 17:30
Ah this is in WinUAE! Sorry I can't have read the thread properly!

What setup are you using for WinUAE?

Try the A1200 quickstart setup but add yourself some more Fast RAM (8MB) and your harddrives, then try it. See what happens.

my_lo
1st July 2008, 19:06
I'm using classic WB, should i just make another one?

I must admit, i am confused, i can't get anything right in this...

1. I install winuae
2. I install classic wb with workbench 3.1
3. I select a rom A1200
4. I copy the roms in the devs drawer, the key in S and i extract some games to the A to Z drawers from the KGWHD
5. I click on the icon from the drawer
6. It doesn't work

Is there, anywhere, a step by step guide to make those game run, like from scratch, instead of the faqs?

killergorilla
1st July 2008, 19:16
Choose a standard A1200 setup from WinUAE and add 8MB of Fast RAM, then add your harddrive. Do not enable anything else (JIT/FPU etc.)

That way I can make sure it's not your setup (by setup I mean the settings in WinUAE not the classicWB you are using).

my_lo
1st July 2008, 20:32
I restarted everything from scratch (again, lol) but this time i've let the WHDLOAD kickstarts provided by the classicWB_full install and it all worked. So actually, as Buleste said, some roms work and some just don't... i must have used a bad pack of kickstarts.

I also made a non classicWB, default winuae with a1200 but using the WHDLOAD kickstarts from the classicWB and it worked perfect too. :thumbs:

THANK YOU ALL for you help and your time and i apology for my noobishness.

:D I AM HAPPY :D

Also: thanks KillerGorilla, your packs are beyond awesomeness ^_-

Vangar
13th July 2008, 04:22
I must have missed something here, all of a sudden I hardly understand anything in this topic...

Tosec? Gamebase? Is there some kind of complete ADF Amiga set for torrent?

Could someone point me in the right direction? :p

my_lo
14th July 2008, 08:59
Tosec (http://www.tosec.org/) is a project that tries to list all available games for a given machine. Those lists are in the dat format which is usable with softs like clrmamepro (http://www.clrmame.com/). It allows you to check, amongst your games, which one you still miss and which ones you still have. You can find on the net some torrents with complete tosec packages (3-4 go!).

Gamebase (http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3190) is a frontend for amiga games a bit like mame for the arcade games. Gamebase works with a huge list of games but not all their versions. So basically, if you have the tosec set and you want to use it with Gamebase, you'll need to extract the adf that are recognized by Gamebase and to modify their names. This can be done via a software called clrmamepro with the dat files (http://gbamiga.elowar.com/files/Extras/) specific to Gamebase.

If you wanna use WHDload which allows you to play the amiga games without having to swap the disks during the game, you can manually create a configuration for each game from the adf but it's a huge work and not so easy. The best method is to use the KGWHD (http://kgwhd.whdownload.com/index.php) packages which contain all you need to play the games via whdload.

I hope this could help ^_-

Harrison
14th July 2008, 14:02
I must have missed something here, all of a sudden I hardly understand anything in this topic...

Tosec? Gamebase? Is there some kind of complete ADF Amiga set for torrent?

Could someone point me in the right direction? :p

In addition to my_lo's description of them all..

As he mentioned TOSEC is a database documentation project that tries to catalogue all known software releases for many different platforms. People then use these DAT files with CLRMAMEPro and similar file checking programs to see what they have and what they are missing from their collections.

Some people have however uses these DATs to compile a complete set of the game roms or in the Amiga's case ADFs and released the complete TOSEC set. If you are interested in getting hold of these go to the pleasuredome torrent tracker.

As fo GameBase. Again as already mentioned, this is a frontend for WinUAE and it works much like MAME32 if you have ever used that. However it's naming format for the adf's it supports are different to those in the TOSEC set. However people have also compiled complete GameBase ADF collections too. Try the Underground-Gamer tracker for these.

Finally WHDLoad. This is a project the creates harddrive installers so that you can install all Amiga games to HD, even the ones you could not access originally from Workbench. The standard way is to download the WHDLoad installer for a specific game, install WHDLoad, then run the installer, feed the Amiga the original game disks when asked and eventually you will have a copy of the game installed to HD. Thankfully KillerGorilla has removed the hassle of needing to do this. Now you can just download his gamepacks, installed WHDLoad and then run the games in his gamepacks. You can download these from the downloads section of classicamiga.

Demon Cleaner
14th July 2008, 14:11
I would also recommend to d/l the Gamebase Amiga torrent (current version = 1.5), as it's easier than renaming the whole TOSEC set with Clrmamepro.

killergorilla
17th July 2008, 12:05
I just cant believe that on a thread that started about gamebase no one mentions that kgwhd work with gamebase.. :D

Buleste
17th July 2008, 12:08
I just cant believe that on a thread that started about gamebase no one mentions that kgwhd work with gamebase.. :D

Apart from
Thankfully KillerGorilla has removed the hassle of needing to do this. Now you can just download his gamepacks, installed WHDLoad and then run the games in his gamepacks. You can download these from the downloads section of classicamiga.
and

If you wanna use WHDload which allows you to play the amiga games without having to swap the disks during the game, you can manually create a configuration for each game from the adf but it's a huge work and not so easy. The best method is to use the KGWHD packages which contain all you need to play the games via whdl.
:lol:

killergorilla
17th July 2008, 14:37
Neither of those posts mention using my packs with gamebase :p

Buleste
17th July 2008, 14:40
How many more mentions do you need??? Everyone here worships the ground you walk on yet still you want more praise?? Megalomaniac, much!! :lol:

killergorilla
17th July 2008, 16:06
Never mind.