PDA

View Full Version : Power Scanner

Harrison
17th June 2008, 18:06
Today I was going through all of my boxed Amiga items and discovered loads of items I didn't even realise I had! :blink: Probably sent to me as part of larger Amiga collections.

One of these items is a Power Scanner, from Power Computing. It is one of those handheld scanners you use to scan in pages by manually running it over a page whilst holding the scanning button down.

Everything seems to be there. The original box is in very good condition and it looks like everything is included. The scanner is made by Trust and looks like it is a grey scan unit. The label underneath says Trust Ami-Scan Grey. Were these just PC hand scanners that Power Computing added Amiga interfaces and software too? And is the Ami part of the scanners name just a coincidence?

Also in the box is all of the cables and a PSU, along with a scanning interface/control unit that you connect to the parallel port. Plus a software disk.

And although I don't really have any use for this scanner as I've got a pretty decent Epson scanner I am intrigued to give it a try.

Does anyone know what the actual interface is that the main scanning unit uses? I'm wondering if I could get it to work on a PC? I will however give it a try on an Amiga to see if it works.

Buleste
17th June 2008, 22:18
If i remember rightly they used the serial interface and as the PC serial is smaller then i doubt it.

Harrison
17th June 2008, 22:21
This one connects to a control/interface box that plugs into the Amiga's parallel port. The actual scanner cable connected to this interface box via a round din connector, which is about the same size as a PS/2 keyboard connection but with a different pin arrangement.

However it could still be a serial device, just using the Amiga's parallel port for the actual interface unit. But I don't know. Which is why I ask.