PDA

View Full Version : AmigaSys, Amikit, amiga forever, What do you use in winuae?

Tiago
16th June 2008, 15:36
If there is a similar post... sorry

What to you use and why?
AmigaSys, Amikit, amiga forever ??????

I personaly use AmigaSys4 and i find it very stable.
Pros:
- easy
- stable
- Nive enviroment

Cons:
- in my case Snapshot doesnt work
- could have better editors, wordpad and others are very bad...

Amikit looks fine too, but it crashes a lot of times in my laptop.
I never saw Amigaforever.
So do you use any of those in Winuae?

Demon Cleaner
16th June 2008, 15:54
I used AmiKit here at work, but mainly to test it if it works well.

Buleste
16th June 2008, 16:07
AmigaSYS 4 for me. Purely because it's a godd WB configuration and i don't know much about how to create HradDrives under WinUAE.

Harrison
16th June 2008, 16:58
I have most of them installed as I like to keep up to date and see where each is currently at.

For most use though I tend to use classicWB the most. It is lightweight compared to most of the other packages, but contains enough tools and is setup nicely to easily run most games and demos, as well as access and do work with Amiga files.

Stephen Coates
16th June 2008, 17:03
Not heard of AmigaSys.

I have AmiKit installed, but I don't use it.

For WinUAE I usually use Amiga Forever as I like it and havn't had any problems with it.

Zetr0
16th June 2008, 23:01
I use Classic Workbench on a couple of installs and few basic 3.1's and 3.5's installed

I tried AIBB but its kinda sucky slow to be honest. and AmiKit.... errr... no you would have to pay me!

TiredOfLife
16th June 2008, 23:36
Use amikit on the odd occasion.

ppill
17th June 2008, 00:13
I have a dozen or so custom set-ups, most based on AmigaOS 3.1. But if had to choose one of the preconfigured packs I'd go for ClassicWB. Just because it doesn't try to pretend to be a modern flashy OS like AmiKit does (bloatware alert!). It's got all the basic tools you need. And you'll find it easy to add new features and software instead of trying to figure out how to disable or get rid off some quirky addon.

Don't get me wrong I appreciete the effort that's gone into preparing AmiKit but as much as love AmigaOS with all its wonderful features and (yes) shortcomings, that setup just feels like an aging actress that had one augmentation too many.

AIBB was nice for it's day since it was the first to arrive. Now it's a bit dated. Still worth a look though.

AmigaSYS... used it a couple of times and never could get into it. Kinda like ClassiWB on steroids. But who needs those?

Amiga Forever was actually pretty disapointing. A slightly revamped default install. Maybe that changed with the last release.

my_lo
20th June 2008, 08:32
I used AIAB a few years ago but i found it a bit outdated when i came back to amiga emulation. I've tried a few customs like AmiKit, AmiSYS but i must say that ClassicWB is, like many others, my custom set-up of choice. I also like Lemonade as a gaming frontend, it reminds me a bit Mame32 with the cabinets, screenshots, notes... Unfortunately it's discontinued and they don't really seem warm to let the codes spread... So all in all, i really like ClassicWB better ;)

Demon Cleaner
20th June 2008, 11:10
You can always try GameBase Amiga. Current version is 1.5, it's a GUI similar to Lemonade which has indeed not been updated for a long time now.

GameBase Amiga (http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=a6ce7ef585a96cee9af758361a230060)

my_lo
20th June 2008, 11:56
You can always try GameBase Amiga. Current version is 1.5, it's a GUI similar to Lemonade which has indeed not been updated for a long time now.

GameBase Amiga (http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=a6ce7ef585a96cee9af758361a230060)

Wow, nice, thanks for the link :D

Harrison
20th June 2008, 12:30
Also if you want a full set of games for Gamebase you can download the torrent from underground-gamer or pleasuredome. If you are interested you will need an invite to join the UG tracker so PM me.

Demon Cleaner
20th June 2008, 12:38
Here's (http://gbamiga.elowar.com/) the immediate link to GameBase Amiga.

At UG you can get the sets for SPS and ADF files. I still have version 1.4.3, but have to d/l the latest version. At least I already bookmarked it ;)

Puni/Void
21st June 2008, 12:07
When running WinUAE, I'm using Workbench 3.1 with the nice MagicWB installed. It's old, but it does the job fine.