PDA

View Full Version : HardSID

Castelle
13th June 2008, 23:40
Hi,

I am asking the group what their opinions are on the HardSID ?
I am thinking seriously on buying one. In a couple of months the HardSID 4U http://hardsid.com will be available to buy with the SID chips already installed - the SID 6581 & 8580 along with the CPU chips in the same unit.

I'm not tone deaf but whilst emulation is pretty accurate with the SIDPLAY emulators. I long for the real thing. I have even thought about buying a C64 again and starting again but I have my Amiga's and that stops me. I simply don't have the room to start with another computer set-up (C64, 1541, C2N, etc) but the HardSID is a small nifty unit eh?

Reminds me of the poll I started on the real thing (Amiga) vs emulation :)

What do you guys think?

Harrison
16th June 2008, 13:44
What do you actually want to use the HardSID for? If it is just to playback SID music using a real chip with ACID 64 or a similar program then have you also thought about getting a Catweasel MK4 instead? This also has support for a SID chip onboard and the programs including ACID 64 support it too. Plus you would gain the floppy controller, as well as the Amiga joystick/mouse ports and keyboard port.

Castelle
16th June 2008, 14:57
Thanks for the info Harrison...

Yes, you're right... it would be used to listen too SID Music and the Catweasel MK4 is something I didn't consider... :unsure:

You have given me something to think about here... Thinking as well, the HardSID is a nice bit of kit but its also an expensive bit of kit... :no:

Does anyone here actually own one ? :hmmm:

Thanks guys as always.......:)

Demon Cleaner
16th June 2008, 16:01
Does anyone here actually own one ? :hmmm:
Nope, not me, and I never considered buying one.

Castelle
16th June 2008, 16:09
Is that because of the Catweasel Demon Cleaner :)

Just thought it would be right up your alley, so to speak being a C64 fan :)

Anyway, thanks for your advice mate - I do appreciate it :)

Demon Cleaner
16th June 2008, 16:14
Is that because of the Catweasel Demon Cleaner :)
Exactly. But if I listen to SID tunes I use the normal SidPlayer, I don't even use the Catweasel for that purpose. I use the Catweasel to copy .adf and .d64 files to disc to use in the real machine.