PDA

View Full Version : Sega Saturn

Buleste
13th June 2008, 14:04
I'm just doing a quick plug for one of my auctions. Go here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130230296614&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=003) to look at my beloved Saturn going under the hammer (not litrally of course).

Harrison
16th June 2008, 12:10
Looks nice. Good selection of games and controllers.

How come you are setting it?

BTW, if you bought this when they first came out, did you ever regret buying a Saturn instead of a PSX?

Buleste
16th June 2008, 12:20
Im selling it because a) I'm cleaning out the loft b) i need the money.

I bought the Saturn when it first came out and i've never owned any Playstation.

If Tomb Raider had been a Saturn exclusive rather than released first on Saturn then the lifespan of the Saturn would have been longer and it could have possibly saved Sega. But unfortunatly it was not to be.

Harrison
16th June 2008, 12:36
The Saturn was a huge mess for Sega and really was the one thing that caused it's final downfall. The mistake was during development when they initially designed the system architecture with 2D sprite manipulation as the key focus, and no real true 3D capability. A late revision of the design added 3D abilities, but nothing on par with the original Playstation. And due to the dual processor architecture it was hard to code for too. But regardless of this the system did see a few good 3D releases. But these were shown up when run next to the PSX versions of the same games. Especially as you mentioned Tomb Raider.

But they started getting it all wrong with the development of so many addons for the Mega Drive. Rather than developing the Mega CD and 32x they should have put their effects fully into a true 32 bit system a the time and the development could have seen a much better true 32-bit system.

For me though the greatest Sega console is the Dreamcast.