PDA

View Full Version : Asus Eee PC

Harrison
13th June 2008, 00:50
Has anyone used the Asus Eee PC range of sub notebooks yet?

I personally think they are a great idea, but I've yet to try one out myself. Using solid state storage instead of an HD is a good move for a portable device as it protects the data more from knocks and shock, reduces power consumption, and speeds up loading times.

For a laptop/portable computer I've never wanted to use them for more than file management (copying files to an MP3 player, PSP etc), listening to music, accessing the internet, reading emails or writing a letter. For all of these things I think the small Eee PC range would be ideal.

The price of them isn't too bad either. The lowest of the range, the EEE PC 700 is currently available for just £164.49 and comes with a 7" 800x400 screen, 900MHz Celeron CPU, 512MB ram, 2GB flash memory, gigabit lan, Wifi b/g, and Linux preinstalled.

The next model up is the EEE PC 900 range costing about £329. These have a larger 8.9" 1024x600 screen and built in 1.3MP webcam. a 4GB solid state drive (SSD) for the OS and room for a second SSD in a removable drive bay. The Linux version has a 20GB SSD and the WIndows version a 12GB SSD.

And finally the new (released this month) EEE PC 1000 range has a 10.2", a 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, and quite a large 40GB solid state drive (SSD). And battery life for this one is rated as 4.2 - 7.5 hours which is pretty good.

Asus have also just announced the 901, which is a revision of the current 900 range, and will now include a 1.6GHz Atom CPU, extended battery, 802.11n wi-fi, with the rest of the spec matching the current 900.

Demon Cleaner
13th June 2008, 07:25
I was interested in buying one at the beginning of the year, when they just were out. At that time they only had Linux models though. There was only one shop here in Luxembourg who had them in stock, but only with AZERTY keyboard, they had to order the other ones, which would take too long, as I wanted to own one immediately ;)

After some weeks then I saw that they also would release Windoews based models, but my interest was already gone, so I'm still without one. And now you're strewing salt in my wounds again :dry: (but I have to keep some cash aside for my house, as you know).