PDA

View Full Version : Epic: who played it?

Ghost
8th June 2008, 00:38
Hello all,

Seeing as I already opened a topic on arcade space fighter sims, I should also open a topic on one of the few that appeared on the Amiga.

Years ago I bought its 'sequel' Inferno (it mentions the plot of Epic in the Prologue and the Rexxons return in it but some of the names are different) when it was on sale for cheap (it came with TFX).
When I later decided to collect the Wing Commander games I also wanted to get Epic to complete the series.
Epic borrowed a lot from games like the original Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and Star Trek, some of the designs or their names are way to similar to be a coincidence.

By now its a pretty dated game but I understand it was rather hyped before it was released?

Zetr0
8th June 2008, 01:55
@Ghost

I would have to agree as personally it is just an average game, with a very well written commic demo style intro.

the score during the cut scene can be a bit greating, but the ingame sounds function comftably and dont feel at odds with the setting.

the Game alas is average, both in game play, and difficulty, it offers nothing new or not seen elsewhere, Still, an amusing game, and kept me busy for a little while ;)

A much better game of similar vien would be Wing commander, with increasing difficulty curb, and good music / sound... can be splotchy and juttery to play on a non expanded Amiga, but the story and the environment make up for that....

The times i would look forward to sharing a mission or two on the game with my brother... great game!

Ghost
8th June 2008, 02:04
Heh, well I already had Wing Commander so I had to look for more obscure space fighter sims :p
It would be interesting how the game could be made to look like today, perhaps giving your squadron orders, eliminate the fuel limit or connect it to afterburners/turbo only.

Damn, now I really would like to make games.

Epic Unleashed

Harrison
9th June 2008, 21:06
Epic was very hyped before release. I remember it appearing on all the video game shows and related tech programs at the time, with them saying it would really show the true power of the Amiga.

Sadly when it finally was released the graphics looked nice, but its gameplay was more like an interactive demo than a full game.

BTW, if you like Wing Commander then I highly recommend you give Wing Commander Saga a play. It's a free mod for the free Freespace 2 and is very good. We have talked about it elsewhere on the forum. Just do a search for Freescace.

TiredOfLife
17th June 2008, 01:22
Never really got into Epic.
Might dig it out at the weekend and have another look.
Enjoyed Wing Commander more.
Recently got my hands on Freespace and am enjoying that at the min.

Harrison
17th June 2008, 02:15
If you are enjoying Freespace, then once you are done with the main game I highly recommend you check out some of the Freespace mods.

Beyond the Red Line - BattleStar Galactica based mod that is amazing
The Babylon Project - Based on Babylon 5
Wing Commander Saga - based on the Wing Commander universe.

All three of those are highly recommended. You can read more on Freespace 2 mods here (http://forum.classicamiga.com/showthread.php?t=1783) in another thread we were discussing them in.

Sharingan
17th June 2008, 21:26
I remember playing Epic, and being rather impressed with the graphics and the story (at least the beginning of it). I enjoyed the gameplay too, but it was all a bit too limited and linear to keep one's interest for long.