PDA

View Full Version : Alien Breed 3D 1 and 2: who played them?

Ghost
3rd June 2008, 03:09
Hello guys,

Of all the Amiga FPS games I remember these two games the most.
Which of you have played them and what did you think of them?

Harrison
3rd June 2008, 03:29
Yep, I purchased them both on release and really enjoyed them. You really needed an AGA amiga with an 030 CPU and some fast ram to start getting the most from these games.

They were both great games, with the second being much better than the first and allowing full screen 3D if you had a system powerful enough.

I don't think they were as good as the original 2D Alien Breed games. Those were pure arcade shooting fun. The 3D versions were basically Doom/Dark Forces in the Alien Breed universe more than anything else. Still great fun to play though.

As for the best FPS on the Amiga, Breathless and Gloom AGA were pretty good examples. However when Doom was releases for the Amiga I couldn't stop playing it. :)

Noelozzy
3rd June 2008, 07:13
I enjoyed it so much I made a map LOL

kept getting lost

and i have some codes I have kept

Puni/Void
3rd June 2008, 10:41
@Ghost

Hello guys,

Of all the Amiga FPS games I remember these two games the most.
Which of you have played them and what did you think of them?

Hi Ghost,

Alien Breed 3D is a great game in my opinion. Used to play it quite a lot when it was released back in the 90's. The game didn't have as good graphics as Breathless and Gloom, but it had fine playability. I recently gave it a go on the CD32 and it was good fun.

As for Alien Breed 3D 2, I must admit I haven't played it as much. Might have something to do with the hardware requirements. At the time I didn't have the machine power to run in a decent resolution, so I had to play with a small window. Needless to say, it wasn't that much fun. Still, I know it's an ok game and for the time, the graphics were fantastic.

Other FPS games for the Amiga I've tried are Testament, Gloom (normal and Deluxe), Fears, Death Mask, Breathless, Nemac, Genetic Species (excellent), and many others.

Hehe.. I see that Harrison mentions Doom for Amiga. Yeah, remember the port very well. It actually ran very good on a 030! :thumbs:

Buleste
3rd June 2008, 11:08
I've got the CD32 version of AB3D and played it the other day. I'd forgotten how utterly confusing the graphics are in it. As for AB3DII-TKG i've also got that and it's a good game if you have a good machine. Display is too small though. I'd recommend playing TKG on an emulated Amiga it's a lot faster.

Harrison
3rd June 2008, 12:19
They really should remake AB3D2 for current PCs. Imagine how great the visuals could be now!

Teho
3rd June 2008, 16:09
But would they get away with ripping off the Alien design today? ;)

Harrison
3rd June 2008, 16:34
That is a good point. Actually that just reminded me that they were working on a new version of the Alien Breed series for the PC in an overhead view 3D style. Remember I posted some screenshots and info about this a long time ago? That got scrapped and I wonder if that was a copyright/licensing issue?

Ghost
3rd June 2008, 21:42
I think more that Team 17 more considered that an overhead shooter might not sell as well as it did in the days of the Amiga.
It is not so that Fox has copyrighted the name "Alien", there are plenty of games that have Alien in their title or feature xenomorph like creatures and Fox never tried to stop them.

The game closest to a new overhead Alien Breed was Shadowgrounds and that didn't exactly storm the charts.

TiredOfLife
3rd June 2008, 23:34
Never played Alien Breed 3D.
Bought AB3DII and really enjoyed that.
Also the Gloom series, Genetic Species, Doom, Hexen and Heretic.
Have recently bought Heretic II but haven't played it yet.
(Some issues with OS4 and registering it)

Buleste
4th June 2008, 15:52
I've just looked at the back of by TKG box and the display is at full screen. Does anyone know how to achive this or is it just a feature of the non existent CGX version?

Harrison
4th June 2008, 17:05
I'm sure you can run it full screen by changing the display settings. It has been a while so I can't remember if it was a menu option in the game or some keyboard shortcuts. I do seem to remember you could toggle the screen settings while playing using some keys to change the pixel size from 2x2 to 1x1 and the size of the display area.

Buleste
4th June 2008, 17:24
i know if you press "+"and "-" on the number pad you can adjust the size but never to full screen. I also know there is a rtg patch so at least you can try different screenmodes but nothing to get a full screen in 1x1 mode. Never tried it in 2x1 mode as i've always had a good machine and wanted to show it off with a good FPS.

Zetr0
4th June 2008, 18:57
I have to admit, I was utterly disapointed with Alien Breed 3D, the graphics were messy at best and well :sick: at worse. (and this is on my 060)

I never got to play ABII-TKG infact i think the first one put me off to be honest.

I completely reveled in the 2d games though, some fantastic gaming times!

I did hammer Gloom, but its an ugly beast even in 1x1

but like Harrison, when DOOM came out for the Amiga.... OH MY, 640x256x8!!!

Then Doom 2: Thy Flesh Consumed!!, Hexen, Heretic... Quake (even though that was suck worthy even on my cybervision643d mk2 and 64mb 060@50 :( ) fecking loved the music CD that comes with it though.... I used to put that on playing in the back ground when playing Doom.

I loved the Music from Death masque, to be honest, thats the best thing i can say about that game LOL.

Buleste
4th June 2008, 21:14
Boy do i feel dumb. It's not in the documentation but if you press "Enter" on the numeric keypad you get a full screen. However even with rtg mode using my PPC it's slow. I'll just go back to playing Quake.

Ghost
4th June 2008, 21:47
So I take it there are still people today who play FPS games on the Amiga?

I asked about the Alien Breed 3D games as I was considering collecting them, would that still be interesting today?

Harrison
4th June 2008, 23:56
It is definitely still of interest because even though the Amiga was not suppose to be able to do 3D graphics like Doom due to the way it's graphics work, people quickly proved this theory wrong and showed it was very possible with a whole series of 3D doom style games.

Quake (even though that was suck worthy even on my cybervision643d mk2 and 64mb 060@50 :( )

I had actually moved to the dark side by that point and played Quake on my nice shiny new (at the time) P2 PC.

Ghost
5th June 2008, 02:46
I found the first game for sale for 20GBP

http://retrogamescatalog.com/acatalog/Amiga_Shoot-Em-Up.html

Is that worth it?

Zetr0
5th June 2008, 08:21
It might be if anything cheaper to attempt to buy these games using AmiBay :)

£20 for a game thats been out of production for nearly 10 years, is a bout £18 to much LOL

but at the end of the day, you need to be happy with the product and the price you pay. but I would atleast give it a go first.

Harrison
5th June 2008, 08:35
I agree. Try posted a wanted advert on Amibay and see if anyone contacts you. £20 is quite expensive for an Amiga game. Most Amiga games sell on ebay for about £1-6, with the exception of very specific titles like Moonstone.

But how much you are prepared to pay comes down to how much you want a game I suppose and how long you are prepared to wait for one to appear for sale.

I did just check on ebay for you and found these:

Alien Breed 3D 2 - €1 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jeu-AMIGA-ALIEN-BREED-2-3-D-version-AGA_W0QQitemZ150255519102QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150255519102&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
2D Alien Breed games - £0.99 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/alien-breed-alien-breed-2-tower-assault-amiga-rare_W0QQitemZ350065010360QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350065010360&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Buleste
5th June 2008, 10:10
I've got em both so no point asking me as i'll sell em to you for £20.00 each (Look i'm skint O.K. and my mothers from Yorkshire so i'm tight fisted;)).

Zetr0
5th June 2008, 13:11
interesting, I shall keep my eye on the 2d games. they would make a nice point in my original collection.

Ghost
5th June 2008, 15:01
Meh, there is no rush.
I'll try Amibay later.

Sorry Buleste

Ghost
22nd June 2008, 05:16
I have noticed some differences between the preview version of the original Alien Breed 3D and the released game; creatures but also backgrounds.
I understand a demo was released before the complete game, were there any differences between both versions?

Harrison
23rd June 2008, 10:43
It's been a long time but I'm sure there were. With most game demos on the Amiga, as with most platforms, the demos were never identical to the final released game unless the demos were created after the final game's release to promote the game on coverdisks.

The biggest difference I remember between preview demo and final release wasn't for an Amiga game, but for the original Xbox version of Halo. The E3 preview demo showing the opening sequence and gameplay ended up being completely different to the final game that was released.

Ghost
24th June 2008, 12:35
Well I had been checking some of the previews in magazines and it all looked very different, both the interface and certain enemies.

The enemies were probably filler-ins but the window of the interface was a lot bigger and seemed more detailed than the interface that was eventually used.

Harrison
24th June 2008, 13:01
It is always interesting to see how games change from their development previews to the final end release. I'm thinking this might interest others on the site. Would you be interested in doing a small article for the site comparing screenshots side by side showing the differences?

You could write it in word and I could then add it to the site if you are interested in doing it.

Ghost
25th June 2008, 02:46
I'll see what I can do

Ghost
30th June 2008, 04:00
On request of Harrison, I have started to write an article that compares screenshots of the preview and the finished version, hope to have it finished soon.

Ghost
11th August 2008, 18:19
Someone is offering Alien Breed 3D for 9 GBP on Ebay.
Is that a good price?

To be honest, on the moment I have my doubts about buying this game, it would make a nice addition to my collection but I kind of set out to collect some of the great days of the Amiga which were around 89 - 93.
I am not sure this really qualifies.

Harrison
11th August 2008, 22:45
Alien Breed 3D is still an important game in the history of the Amiga. But I would say that Alien Breed '92 SE is probably the best example of the series if you don't have that already. For me the top down above view Alien Breed games were the real ones and the 3D ones were just a cash in on the popularity and hype of Doom.

Graham Humphrey
11th August 2008, 23:01
Yeah I agree, Alien Breed 3D isn't a 'real' Alien Breed game, it's just an FPS with the Alien Breed name tacked on to it. Still a pretty good game though, much better than its awful, incredibly system-hungry sequel.

SE '92 is the best AB game, they do seem to get gradually worse after that up until AB3D though.

Ghost
12th August 2008, 03:25
Trying to get my thoughts in order here.

I was very convinced of getting Alien Breed 3D for my collection, so when I saw the game offered again on Ebay I spoke with the seller about shipping to the Netherlands and put the link on My Ebay.

But after that a thought started to linger in my mind, "Is this really what I want to have?"
Altogether fifteen Euros for purchase and shipping isn't that much but still, it is fifteen Euros you can also spend in another way, getting an Amiga title like Desert Strike, First Samurai/Second Samurai, other Amiga games, or other items I might want a lot more.

As people pointed out, Alien Breed 3D was made to tap into the Doom phenomenon by offering something similar to the Amiga, but if I honestly want to have something Doom like I can always get Doom, it is not that hard to get legally or illegal.

I honestly don't know what to decide, that is why I am asking you guys.

It's a bit hard to put down what really where the best Amiga games a fan should have.

This is what I have collected so far

James Pond 1/2/3
K240
Walker
Mega Lo Mania
Cannon Fodder
Robocop 3
Epic
Starflight 1&2
Captive
Liberation (Amiga 1200 + CD32)
Apocalypse
Impossible Mission 2025 (think ECS + CD32)
Fantastic Voyage
Zeewolf
Fire Force (regular + CD32)
Dragon Wars

Napalm
Wasted Dreams
Codename Hell Squad
(not really part of the Amiga's classic period)

Harrison
12th August 2008, 08:51
Honestly I think that everyones Amiga collection is going to be unique to them. Everyone has their favourite games based on their memories at the time and what they bought on release back in the day. And everyone has different tastes.

I noticed in your list that you don't have many RPGs. There are a lot of RPGs for the Amiga that were key to its popularity. Two of the biggest were Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2. Then there were others like Heroquest.

Also adventure games. This is a genre that was very important on the Amiga. Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2 are very important games in the Amiga's history. As is Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress.

Also there are the early games that were key to the initial sales of the A500. Defender of the Crown especially.

There are loads more. I would say the best games to collect are those that were originally developed for the Amiga, such as Sim City or Shadow of the Beast, or were only ever released on the Amiga such as Superfrog.

Ghost
12th August 2008, 18:52
Well as I mentioned before, I enjoyed adventures more on the PC so that is why I kept them of the list, I have most of them for the PC already.

Actually Sim City was originally developed on the Macintosh :p

Yes, a collection will always be unique to the tastes of the collector, but I spoke with you about this before, "not collecting everything I happen to come across".

Do any of you have a definite list of games they want to have for their Amiga collection, games which they really want to own?

Today someone else offered Moonstone again on Ebay.

I know that the classic Cinemaware games are also very popular; Defender of the Crown, Rocket Ranger, It came from the desert.

Ghost
12th August 2008, 22:58
Well I found a 'middle way' I am happy with.
I still have a load of old Game Boy and Game Gear stuff I will sell to a game store tomorrow, with that money I can buy Alien Breed 3D and probably have some more for perhaps one or two older games.

Still, going to try to save up again as I don't want to buy just old games all the time.

Harrison
13th August 2008, 00:25
Actually Sim City was originally developed on the Macintosh :p

Umm... not actually true.

Sim City was originally developed on the Commodore 64 with the name Micropolis. However it was not published for another four years; by which time the C64 was getting old and the 16-bit era was in full swing. The first version of Sim City was released in 1988 as a join release on both the Amiga and Mac. So the Amiga and Mac versions are both the original versions, however it was developed on the C64. And then a year later in 1989 it was released on the PC and C64.

Also don't forget that back in 1989 the Mac was still a B/W OS so the Amiga version of Sim City looked much better in its full colour.

Ghost
13th August 2008, 00:57
Oh, well another fact learned today.

Did Sim City ever appear on the C64?

Harrison
13th August 2008, 01:10
Yes, it was released a year after the Amiga and Mac versions, in 1989 (as mentioned above ;)).

I used to love the Amiga version until Sim City 2000 was released for AGA machines. I then played that a lot on my A4000. And I still prefer 2000 and 3000 to the newer Sim City 4.

Ghost
13th August 2008, 01:35
Well I guess the Alien Breed 3D issue has been resolved but I honestly need to do something about that bad habit of purchasing anything that has caught my interest.
I am seriously worried that it could get me into trouble even though I know what the limits of my finances are.

I honestly want to control this desire.
Okay it is not as awful as some other habits, there are people who are addicted to gambling or waste loads of money on other things but still.

So are there people here who make lists of retro games they want to own?

Well regarding Amiga I guess I might still want to have one of the earlier Alien Breed (Alien Breed 1/SE '92), Desert Strike, First Samurai/Second Samurai (the last is easier to find), North and South, and perhaps some of the RPGs Harrison

Shadow of the Beast games might be nice but they are often very expensive.

Harrison
13th August 2008, 03:16
For the true collectors edition of Shadow of the Beast, you need to look for the one that came with a T-Shirt! I bet that is either very very rare, or no longer exists complete.

I know exactly what you mean by being addicted to buying games. I got into that habit a few years ago. I had to find and buy all of the RPGs for the original Playstation. I hunted everywhere to find the games and did eventually find and buy every RPG released in the UK and the US. Took me over a year but was great to get them all. And I've still not played them all yet!

Ghost
13th August 2008, 17:08
Its really great of having such a collection after a while but you sometimes have to make quite some costs to get them.

I thought I could compensate with selling some of my old stuff but I learned today that in general its rather difficult to get some good money for old games.

I wanted to sell of some complete Gameboy games, loose Game Gear games and a complete Game Gear with battery pack, but unfortunate no one is interested in that stuff anymore.

The store where I went to found it already difficult to give me thirty Euros for it as it is very difficult to sell on again so in the end I settled for a coupon instead.

Irritating as I had hoped to get fifty of sixty Euros for it which I could then use to pay Alien Breed 3D and some other games I wanted to have.

Harrison
13th August 2008, 22:51
|You would have done better selling that stuff on ebay or Amibay. Sega Gamegears and stuff like that are sort after. You just need to find the right people who are interested.

Ghost
13th August 2008, 23:32
That is the problem sometimes, I really don't know which people to ask.

Ghost
28th August 2008, 13:21
Well my copy of Alien Breed 3D came into today, I can strike that of the list of 'games to get'.
As I understand from several sources; both board members and magazines, there is no point in getting Alien Breed 3D: The Killing Grounds.

Buleste
28th August 2008, 13:33
I don't agree with that. TKG is a good game if you have a powerfull Amigaand much better than AB3D. Although i would say why not try the WHDownload or KG versions before you decide. If you haven't already got it but want to buy it just make sure you don't pay too much for it. I'd say don't pay more than £5.00 for it unless it's a brand new sealed version.

Ghost
28th August 2008, 13:55
Indeed Buleste, I wouldn't pay more for it if the condition isn't other than new or mint.
I got this game for 8 GBP, I probably could have gotten a copy for cheaper but this was the direct sales price and I didn't feel like competing with other people.

Ghost
2nd September 2008, 17:06
Who here have actually been able to run Alien Breed 3D 2 properly?
According to the magazines not even the most powerful Amigas were able to run it properly at the time.

Puni/Void
2nd September 2008, 19:54
I remember playing this game on my A1200 with a 030 and 16MB fast when it was released. It wasn't exactly fast, but if you lowered the resolution and tweaked it a bit, it was playable. There was also a patch released that speeded the game up to a certain degree. This patch should be available for download on Aminet.net.

Buleste
2nd September 2008, 21:35
If you have an 030 i'd say forget running it in 1:1 mode. TBH i'd say forget it full stop. I have it running at a good speed on my 040 with the RTG version. If you have an 040 or 060 the reason it is not as fast as it should is because the AGA chipset is not good enough.

EDIT
If you want to appreciate how quick TKG can be try running Quake.

Ghost
3rd September 2008, 11:09
Do you two think its worth getting Alien Breed 3D2, even just for collection value?
Of course I would spend more than 5 or 8 GBP on it.

Buleste
3rd September 2008, 11:23
Depends on what you're collecting. All Amiga games, Amiga specific games, ground breaking Amiga games, Team 17 games etc. As it's the best looking Amiga specific 1st person shooter then yes. If you are collecting the Amiga games ever then no and you shouldn't have bought Alien Breed 3D either as it's average at best. TBh it's all a matter of personal choice. Try the Killer Gorilla version before just to see what you think and they either buy or not buy on the basis of that rather than other peoples opinions (including mine).

Puni/Void
3rd September 2008, 12:11
Do you two think its worth getting Alien Breed 3D2, even just for collection value?
Of course I would spend more than 5 or 8 GBP on it.

If you consider the historical aspect of the game, then I think it would be worth buying. I clearly remember that it was an important game for its period, even if it got bad critics here and there. The game did for example boost the sales of accelerator cards and inspired people to upgrade their Amigas.

Personally I think it would be a cool item to have in an Amiga collection.

I don't agree with Buleste concerning Alien Breed 3D, as I think it's a very good game. It was also widely popular when it was released. Of course, like he said, it's all about personal choice. ;)

Ghost
3rd September 2008, 16:56
Well I got the first game for a nice enough price and it felt like a good part of my collection.
But these days I am more in it for the special games such as the Cinemaware games, Psychosis, etc, not Team 17 specific.

Harrison
9th September 2008, 11:39
There are so many games released over the Amiga's life that were historic and key games. I think there are many that come before TKG in that regard. However it was still an important release at the very end of the Amiga's life and one that showed the Amiga was still level with other platforms in terms of development right until the end.

As for running the game. It ran OK on my A4000 but not brilliantly and there was no way it would run in full screen mode. Other FPS games like Breathless and Gloom ran much better.