PDA

View Full Version : Elite Frontier - questions

Tiago
1st June 2008, 22:19
Hi everybody,

I start playing Frontier but i'm still a noob.

I have some questions:

1) How the ship capacity works? i see that Lifter have:
internal capacity 7t, but after i buy it i only have:
remaining cargo space 4t (?!)
what happend to other 3t?

2) I am getting to some system when autopilot goes off because i am being attacked by some ship. I do not have any upgrade so i take 5 minutes to kill the bast... but after another ship will attack me, and after that another one... i doesn't have an end? What can i do? Set my course to other system, and run away?

Harrison
2nd June 2008, 01:44
1) The internal capacity of your ship includes is used up by everything installed in the ship. So even though the ship you mentioned has a 7 ton cargo space some of that will be used up by the engine that is fitted.

2) You are being attacked by pirates and this is going to happen. They wait at the edges of very popular trading systems and attack you as you jump in. The best way to try and avoid them is to stick to the core systems that are policed well as they are less likely to be there. If you jump into systems that are further out then the likelihood of pirates is higher.

But if you do get attacked and your ship is currently not that powerful then the best action is to make a run for it. If you have enough fuel to make another jump then do so, although the pirates do often carry tracking devices and will follow you to your destination jump point.

Zetr0
2nd June 2008, 04:17
...... although the pirates do often carry tracking devices and will follow you to your destination jump point.

I will say that using the Cheat (mentioned elsewhere) with a class 8 hyperdrive or better in a combat eagle, you will arrive before you left LOL

Buleste
2nd June 2008, 11:05
The best thing to do when you start out is trade Computers and Robots form Barnards Star and go to Sol to trade them. When at Sol buy Grain, Fruit and Veg and then luxury goods and take them to Barnards Star. Also strip everything from your ship except for your hyperdrive and your Auto pilot (pirates are not a problem between Sol and Barnards Star just make sure you don't try to land on any planets in Sol as you,ve stripped your atmospheric sheilding so you'll end up as pretty fireworks for the inhabitants.). Keep doing this until you either have enough money to trade up or enought money to make millions trading with the cargo cheat (found here. (http://forum.classicamiga.com/showthread.php?t=2244)). Then once you have a stupid sized ship like me if you want to make silly money try the trade route between Barnards Star and Reidquat. Robots go for very very high prices there.
Also make sure you do some screenshots for the main site so we have as many different views as possible.

Tiago
2nd June 2008, 13:32
I will try not to cheat...

Another question:

- when i go to F2 to set the location for autopilot, when it's a orbital base, i click on it but it doesnt do nothing, only after 10 or 15 clicks it works. quite strange... looks like i 'm clicking on the wrong place. Does it happend to you?

Buleste
2nd June 2008, 14:06
Frontier can be very buggy and what effects one Amiga will not effect another. For example if you run Frontier under OS4 then the autopilot cannot dock cleanly it always veers off to the left and if you don't have any shields then you scratch the Spacestations paint work and have a wonderfull fiery end. before you set the Auto pilot on the station try doule left clicking on the station to centre it on the screen and then try setting auto pilot.

Don't think of things as cheating think of it as altering the conditions so that things are more favorable to your survival.

Harrison
2nd June 2008, 14:25
If you have the time to play the game properly you shouldn't cheat. Building up money until you can finally afford a ship you have had your eye on is great, and finally getting a larger hyperdrive to reach further systems, or the shields and weapons needed to start some military or assassination missions is great.

Personally I thing cheating at the beginning would ruin the whole game experience. But once you've played it for a long time, then activating the cheat allows you to play around in the game's universe and have fun.

FOL
3rd June 2008, 15:31
I have to ask, and dont take it the wrong way.

Why do people use cheats, I have never used a cheat. Dont see the point, never have and never will.

Granted some games can get boring, while you need to build up cash or units etc etc. But thats life. I am still playing X3, aint got enough money to get a certain item to go on the next part of story line. Still I would never cheat.

This is a question I have always wanted to ask, just never got round to it.

Anyways, back on topic. I have still never got that far in Frontier, I love the game, maybe I should find some time to really get stuck into it.

Tiago
3rd June 2008, 15:57
Well Fol, i must agree with you in terms of strategic games or rpgs.

But i use cheats on plattform games....
superfrog was an example, i play it with my girlfriend, and with no cheats we would spend lots of time to finnish the game, i prefer spend that time with strategic or simulation games, but i like superfrog... so... i used cheats on that one.
Last mounth i show to her Roadland witch she loved (girls...) we end the game... but with cheats... but it was the only way thru.

May be we should only use cheats on that games that you cannot pass more then that specific level, or you dont whant to spend 1 month playing it... or maybe i am wrong.

But for Frontier... i fell that is a crime to use a cheat.... i dont now... it's like playing simcity and use that cheat to have more money to build everything....

Teho
3rd June 2008, 16:04
I don't use cheats either as a rule. Back in the day I'd always use the unlimited lives/energy cheat if available though. For no other reason than that it was there so why not. I still remember when I decided to stop doing that. It was after one of many playthroughs of Turrican II. I used to play that a lot back in the day, and I always activated the unlimited lives cheat on it(still remember it too; Help, 1, 4, 2, Esc, Esc on the title screen). After having played it like that numerous times I had the thought that I didn't die that often, would be fun to see how far I could get without the cheat on. I then proceded to beat the game with over 20 lives to spare, and it was more fun doing it too. After that I stopped using the cheats, and I remember it was the same thing with Nitro. I had always played through that with the lots-of-gas-and-money cheat (name your driver MAJ). Discovered I had no real difficulty beating it without the cheat. So, no cheating for me ever since.

Harrison
3rd June 2008, 16:11
I only ever use cheats if I am really stuck in a game. If for example I've been trying for days to get past a specific point in a game level. Otherwise I would never see the rest of the game. I do however only use them to get past points I'm really stuck at and then revert back to playing the game properly. This has mostly always been platform games where an annoying jump was near impossible and you would end up dying and needing to complete the whole level again to get back to the same point each time. However this is already in extreme cases as I would rather keep trying until I get past something for real if I can.

However for cheats in games like Frontier. I only ever use them when I've already played the game extensively for a long time and so I use the cheat to turn the game into a sandbox to play around and experiment with. It is great fun using them for this.

There are however certain games where it is near impossible to reach the end of the game relying on your skill alone. Some vertical shoot 'em ups are a good example of this. There were a couple that I played on the Amiga and just couldn't get anywhere near the end so eventually played though the whole game with an unlimited lives or energy cheat just so I could see the rest of the game and the ending. Not as satisfying as actually completing the game for real, but without the cheat it wouldn't be completed anyway.

I do think that more recent games don't need cheats nearly as much. They are not as hard because they are mostly more forgiving compared to the common trend in games of old where you had three lives and no more.

Buleste
3rd June 2008, 21:32
I don't see the cargo bug as a cheat mearly a way of giving your ship TARDIS like tendancies.

TiredOfLife
3rd June 2008, 23:58
2) I am getting to some system when autopilot goes off because i am being attacked by some ship. I do not have any upgrade so i take 5 minutes to kill the bast... but after another ship will attack me, and after that another one... i doesn't have an end? What can i do? Set my course to other system, and run away?

No, turn around and fight, you'ill be a man my son.

Never give up, never surrender.

And always, ALWAYS, get your retaliation in first.

v85rawdeal
10th August 2008, 20:17
He who turns and runs away..

Lives to crap his pants another day!