PDA

View Full Version : Xenon 2000: Project PCF

Harrison
22nd May 2008, 12:41
Have any of you played this Bitmap Brothers game?

I think it was their last release before falling off the map. It is a remake based on their classic Amiga series, Xenon, and was initially written to be given away for free on the PC Format cover CD in April 2001.

You can download it for free from the Bitmap Brothers site here (http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/features/xenon2000/index.htm).

Puni/Void
22nd May 2008, 19:30
Thanks for the heads up, Harrison. Will definitly have a go at this one. Started downloading now. ;)

Did any of you play Xenon back in the days?

v85rawdeal
22nd May 2008, 19:37
To be honest, I was not (and still kinda do suck) very good at most games, and found that the games I tended to play the most were the ones where you had a good excuse for not completing them.

So I spent more time playing Elite, Frontier and Gauntlet than I did anything else at all, and shoot-em-ups were almost as boring (in my eyes) as platform games, with everything needing precise positionin, be it to jump off the platform, or to find that one section of the screen that mean't you couldn't get hit by enemy fire.

Harrison
22nd May 2008, 22:50
Having to learn the levels, where the attack waves would come from next and the pattern they would use, where the pickups and other bonus items were, and other in level things were definitely all part of both shoot 'em ups and platform games.

I can see why some might get frustrated by these games, but I always really enjoy them. I get a big sense of achievement when i finally work out everything in a level and complete it to move on to the next and see what it has in store and normally the surprise of seeing what the next levels different graphics are like.

There is also the saving feature of many such games that they give you level codes when you complete each one so you can skip through to the one you are up to when you next play. That definitely takes away the boredom. Sadly Xenon never did this and both previous games were quite hard. Although I did complete them both back in the day. I couldn't even get past level one when I tried to play it recently! :lol: