PDA

View Full Version : Which browser?

Harrison
18th January 2007, 14:47
I was just wondering which browser everyone is currently using?

I just finally upgraded Firefox from 1.5 to 2.0 and it seems a bit quicker and most of the extensions I had installed for 1.5 made the transition intact. The couple that didn't were mainly due to Firefox 2 having similar features now built in, such as the spellchecker.

Teho
18th January 2007, 15:05
Well, I'm not changing from Opera any time soon. Perfectly happy with it.

Harrison
18th January 2007, 15:08
I do also use Opera a lot, but my main browser is still Firefox. Personally I cannot actually tell that much difference between them any longer as both seem to render pages and work just as well for most tasks.

Each has it's own unique ways of doing things so it is just down to which you prefer. For example I prefer the auto complete login method of FF over Operas Xtrl+Enter method, and I love the new Spellchecker built into FF. However, I do prefer the page scaling feature in Opera over all other browsers method of just enlarging the text on a page and buggering up the layout.

As for IE7, I hate it with a passion that surpasses even LowercaseE's hatred of Sony! :lol:

Stephen Coates
18th January 2007, 15:11
Opera currently. I also use FireFox 1.5.

Both are good.

Occaisionally use IE if the page I want to view doesn't work in firefox or opera.

I am yet to try IE7, but from what I've heard, it sounds crap.

LowercaseE
18th January 2007, 15:13
Firefox 2.0 here. It's fast and it works. The only issue I used to have was it crashing when I went into my Yahoo mail, but I found out how to fix that and now it works fine.

Harrison
18th January 2007, 15:20
Occasionally use IE if the page I want to view doesn't work in firefox or opera.

Did you know that there is an add-on for Firefox that lets you tell Firefox to render pages using the IE render engine instead of Firefox's if you have a site that isn't designed well and won't work correctly? It's called IETab.

AlexJ
18th January 2007, 15:51
I think there's now just one site I regularly use that doesn't work in Firefox.

Harrison
18th January 2007, 15:55
The only one I use regularly that complains about Firefox being an Unsupported Browser is my online banking site. You can still just click "Go to log on" though and it does work perfectly in Firefox.

rayzorblue
18th January 2007, 16:02
im assuming i use firefox 2.0, dont really know for sure, but i can say i have never had a problem getting onto any of the websites i frequent with firefox, plus i love the scribblies kids theme i have :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
18th January 2007, 16:56
Firefox 2.0.0.1

Stephen Coates
18th January 2007, 18:02
I would rather just use IE for IE sites and Firefox/Opera for all others.

It isn;t a problem as there are only very limited amount of sites that require IE. The most popular one would be the chat on this site. And thats only because Flash is F***ed up in Firefox.

AlexJ
18th January 2007, 18:41
Flash works fine with me in Firefox.

TiredOfLife
18th January 2007, 19:54
The odd site that didn't work for the missus under earlier versions of Firefox are all ok under Firefox 2.

Haven't had problems accessing any site with Ibrowse, although I do have to use the spoofing function sometimes.

Obviously I don't always have full functionality or see the site as intended with Ibrowse.

Stephen Coates
18th January 2007, 20:27
Flash works fine with me in Firefox.

Same here.

/me notes that he was refering to someone elses computer which he can't be bothered to sort out.

The odd site that didn't work for the missus under earlier versions of Firefox are all ok under Firefox 2.

Haven't had problems accessing any site with Ibrowse, although I do have to use the spoofing function sometimes.

Obviously I don't always have full functionality or see the site as intended with Ibrowse.

How is IBrowse?

I have used it in WinUAE but would like to use it on a proper Amiga.

TiredOfLife
18th January 2007, 20:52
Processes Javascript massively faster since the latest upgrade.
2.3 was a bind on javascript heavy sites.
No CSS intil version 3.0 though.

Harrison
19th January 2007, 00:39
No CSS, ouch! Not good considering most sites are now constructed mainly using CSS. Classicamiga uses a lot of CSS.

J T
21st January 2007, 20:05
Firefox 1.5.here. Should really update to 2 soon, just not got round to it.

Use IE6 sometimes, not really got any issues with it but I do miss the FF tabs and TabMixPlus ext.

Safari on the macs at work. It's.....OK..... does the job and I can't really complain about it. Wouldn't use it out of choice however.

Edwinner
1st February 2007, 19:26
Opera 9.10 here.

FireFox was too slow or crashed on my machine.

IE6 as backup for pages that requires it.

Stephen Coates
1st February 2007, 22:33
Nice to see quite a few people using Opera.

I didn't like it at first (it was really slow for me, despite it being the fastest browser in existence), but I do now.

Harrison
2nd February 2007, 00:07
Opera is a very nice browser and I've found it the most stable of all current browsers. But for some reason I still use Firefox as my main browser. Not sure why, just like the way it works I suppose. I do tend to also have Opera running at the same time as I find some sites work better in each browser.

TiredOfLife
11th February 2008, 23:17
Have been testing OWB for the Amiga.
A bit too slow to be really useable at the moment on my setup.
It is under development a fair bit at the moment though and is speeding up.
This actually supports CSS so will keep an eye on it's progress.

Harrison
12th February 2008, 16:59
Do you have any links to anything about that browser? And is it PPC only? or 68K? If it's the later I will give it a try via emulation to see how good it is at full speed.

Quite ironic that these days many Amiga tasks are actually faster in emulation than on a real Amiga! :(

TiredOfLife
27th February 2008, 15:36
It's OS4 only.

http://www.strohmayer.org/

It's still a bit slow on my PPC but should be swift enough on the the A1.

There seems to be more of a chance of the Shark turning up lately.
So hopefully I will be able to run my Amiga at peecee emualtion speeds. :D

Buleste
27th February 2008, 16:13
I have tried to get it working off line and you're right it is slow but at least it's a fairly modern browser.

TiredOfLife
13th March 2008, 16:00
What version have you tried?

Buleste
14th March 2008, 10:11
At that time i'd tried 1.12 i later tried 1.13 and that didb't work at all. I since haven't used OS4 at all.

TiredOfLife
18th March 2008, 11:29
Up to 1.18 now (I think)
Have you reverted back to 3xx or just not bothered with your miggy since?

Buleste
18th March 2008, 11:57
Reverted back to 3.9 to play The Settlers.

TiredOfLife
18th March 2008, 11:59
Haven't you set yourself up for dual boot between 3.9 and 4.0?

Buleste
19th March 2008, 09:08
Yes but i hardly ever bother with 4.0

TiredOfLife
19th March 2008, 15:48
I use 4.0 as my main OS.
Only boot into 3.9 for gaming.

Zetr0
6th May 2008, 22:26
I kinda use a variety here as each system seems to have levels of peculiarites...

for instance, i use NN on my laptop, but Opera on the Media PC, Dev Box, I use FF on my linux Boxe's and Explora on my Dell Dev box,

imma just a browser slut i supose... or i could be Browser Indecisive ?

Castelle
17th May 2008, 23:05
I use Safari cos I'm a Mac user !!!:)

Don't ban me Harrison!!! :lol::lol:

OK I'M A MIGGY USER TOO !!!!

How's that for loyalty !!!;)

my_lo
21st June 2008, 18:14
I tried Opera and found it nice but i use firefox at the office so i use it too at home and i use foxmarks to syncronize my bookmarks...

woody.cool
5th December 2008, 15:13
I almost always use Firefox, I will NEVER use IE unless I'm forced to, or the world depends on it. I hate IE with a vengence. It's terrible.
I sometimes use AWeb, or even IBrowse on miggy.

Bloodwych
6th December 2008, 10:29
Opera is a very nice browser but lacks third party addons; Chrome is just the evil Google monopoly machine trying to convert everyone to their online applications; IE is too integrated with the OS, so Firefox for me.

Love it. Plus it comes in the Ubuntu linux package too. It's just the third party addons that I can't give up. They're soooo useful.

For instance, my parents use an old Laptop (PIII 800) as all they do is surf the web and check emails. Flash adverts were slowing down the browser, but it was Firefox. So, one visit to addons, and all flash adverts disabled unless you click on them first. Problem solved.

I can nearly always find a solution to my browsing requirements with Firefox. :)

Stephen Coates
6th December 2008, 14:08
Opera is still working nicely here.

Since I last posted in here, I have used IE7, both at school and college.

College decided it would be a good idea to get rid of roaming profiles and to introduce IE7 at the same time. Luckily some of the computers have firefox on and these seem to have updated to the latest 3 version which seems to work fine and better than IE.

I did try and install Opera on a college machine but it didn't work.

TiredOfLife
10th December 2008, 20:19
Have started to use OWB a lot more.
Still missing important features but it renders CSS porperly and at a decent speed.
Sputnik should be out shortly so will give that a go as well.