PDA

View Full Version : "Disk is not validated" error message

Tiago
16th May 2008, 11:15
Yesterday i geve another try in install AmigaSYS in real A1200 thru WINUAE with IDE 2.5 HD in a USB adapter.

I was manage to copy all files thru file master just like the manual says, but after, in the last step that was rename the volume from "empty" to "system" it gives me the error:
"Disk is not validated"
and i cannot do anything else, not even copy a single file or create a directory.
:rant:
It was the last thing to do, after it was just remove the HD and put it on the Real A1200...

Somewere i read that it could be a virus..... ?!?

Buleste
16th May 2008, 11:17
You can either let the HDD run and let WB validate the disk which will take around 10 mins or run disksalv and use that to validate the disk.

Tiago
16th May 2008, 11:21
You can either let the HDD run and let WB validate the disk which will take around 10 mins or run disksalv and use that to validate the disk.

disksalv? .... where can i get it? maybe in aminet....
HDD? sorry being so ignorance, (Portugal is in the tail of europe :lol:) but what do you mean with HDD? How WB validate it?

Demon Cleaner
16th May 2008, 11:45
Disksalv download (http://aminet.net/package/disk/salv/DiskSalv11_32)

Essential Amiga Utilities (http://www.amigau.com/c-amiga/amitools.htm)

Tiago
16th May 2008, 11:54
Disksalv download (http://aminet.net/package/disk/salv/DiskSalv11_32)

Essential Amiga Utilities (http://www.amigau.com/c-amiga/amitools.htm)

Thanks Demon!!

Buleste
16th May 2008, 12:36
When i say HDD i mean Hard Disk Drive. Sorry about that. I'm not 100% about the technical details but FFS has a built in safety feature that basically checks the structure of the Hard Disk. A little like scandisk on the PC. Basically the workbech tries to repair the structure. Whilst this is going on the disk is in a read only state.

I know someone will come along and tell me i'm talking crap but thats how i think it works.

Teho
16th May 2008, 14:23
If that just happened out of the blue then you might want to check your disks for viruses. There was a particularily nasty virus called the Saddam virus back in the day which spread like wildfire among unprotected disks and broke the disk-validator on them. The disk-validator is in the L drawer on the disk by the way, and one common sign that a virus had destroyed it was that it often got renamed to <<<saddam>>> or something. But not always, it could look normal and still be infected.

I remember this thing making a mess of my floppy collection back then, until I could get hold of a virus scanner and go over my entire collection with it. Which took days. Nasty business.

Tiago
16th May 2008, 15:04
Teho:

It could be a virus but look:
I just reboot in winuae with workbench 3.1 in floppy and the amigasys3aga.sys config and i had the usb hd3.5 (empty) so, where is the virus? Amigasys3 witch i download? Workench3.1main.adf?
:unsure:

Harrison
16th May 2008, 15:06
I remember that Saddam virus too. Luckily for me I kept all of my floppies write protected unless I needed to write something to them then I would just unprotected them during that time and then switch them back. Also I tended to boot directly from floppies where possible rather than boot to WB first.

But I do remember a couple of the magazines accidentally "included" it on their cover disks, and the following month their next coverdisks carried a virus removal program specifically created for them that repaired the original cover disks.

This raises an interesting question. Amiga Disk preservation projects are looking to preserve disks as original unaltered images. Should they therefore try to preserve the one with the virus still present?

Tiago
16th May 2008, 15:09
Isn't that strange.... the same virus after 15 years...

Buleste
16th May 2008, 15:12
Teho:

It could be a virus but look:
I just reboot in winuae with workbench 3.1 in floppy and the amigasys3aga.sys config and i had the usb hd3.5 (empty) so, where is the virus? Amigasys3 witch i download? Workench3.1main.adf?
:unsure:

So your hard drive is completely empty? Try starting off with the Hard drive named sytem. Also what size is the hard drive and what size are the partitions if it is greater than 4GB? Remember WB3.1 will not be able to handle large hard drives and partitions.

Harrison
16th May 2008, 15:20
All virii are still floating around out there somewhere waiting for some unsuspecting person to be infected again.

However as you are working from scratch with an empty HD I'm wondering if you problem is an HD issue? Have you done a full disk scan of the HD to check it is OK and not faulty? To scan the disk I recommend using the Hirens Boot CD as it contains all the tools you will need.

Tiago
16th May 2008, 15:27
The 2.5 usb HD was not empty but i formated him with WB...
So i guess there are no virus.....
the amigasys3aga config, i guess doens't have virus to
the wb3.1maindisk.adf .... do you think it could have a virus?....

i will try Disksalv and Hirens Boot CD

Thanks guys!

Buleste
16th May 2008, 15:32
Personally i doubt there is a virus as i don't think there will be any left about for the Ami. How large is the Hard drive in GB?

Tiago
16th May 2008, 15:39
I am not using my Amiga 2.5 HD (4gb) am i using a old 400 mb 2.5 Hd to test amigasys3aga. If it work well then i will use the 4gb.

Tiago
9th March 2009, 13:39
A year ago i had this problem when trying to copy anything:
"Disk is not validated" WB just tell me it has 0 bytes free.

you told me to run Disksalv, i don't remember if i did it, but yesterday it happend again, and this time i run Disksalv and it worked!! It fix the disk. :)

Harrison
9th March 2009, 15:43
That's good to know it worked for you.

I've had HD disk corruption a couple of times using larger HDs with an Amiga. The worst was with a 40GB I was setting up for my A1200. I had formatted it with SFS, installed ClassicWB, copied the whole KGWHD pages onto it, and all was working correctly. I removed it from the caddie and into the A1200 and it booted fine. Next day it couldn't see the HDD, and putting it back into the caddie the PC could see the drive, but as it was Amiga formatted obviously it didn't appear in Windows. And Workbench couldn't see it at all. In that case it had lost the boot record.

So sometimes things can just go wrong for no known reason.

Puni/Void
9th March 2009, 15:51
A year ago i had this problem when trying to copy anything:
"Disk is not validated" WB just tell me it has 0 bytes free.

you told me to run Disksalv, i don't remember if i did it, but yesterday it happend again, and this time i run Disksalv and it worked!! It fix the disk. :)

If I had a penny for all those times Disksalv saved my data, I would be a pound richer today. ;) Back in time when I didn't have any Internet connection, loosing 100's of MB's of stuff was a disaster!

It's a fine program that everyone should have available in backup if the worst comes to show.

Harrison
9th March 2009, 15:59
I also used disksalv a couple of time.

Another I used a few times was Quarterback tools. That managed to restore a whole HD I accidentally managed to wipe years ago.