PDA

View Full Version : PCMCIA Problem

Castelle
15th May 2008, 17:07
@Castelle

So tell me about the PCMCIA problem, i have read similar issues with this on other forums, most notably eab.abime.net, do you have any fast ram with you a1200 or is she a standard stock 2mb chip machine ?

you find out I love amiga problems, its like sudoku.... damn adictive...

anyway. please enjoy your stay :D

Hi, Is this the right place? I'm not going to get banned after just one posting ? :biggrindance:
Yes, the problem I am having is that I recently bought EasyADF off AmigaKit.com and while the software is first class and I can transfer large amounts of data from my Mac to my Amiga with a USB card reader. I have a standard 8MB card in my Amiga and the thing is blocking my PCMCIA slot - I am having to keep removing a jumper from the Amiga Fast Card to disabled said card so that I can transfer the data. OK? I get there in the end but with only 2MB copying files its incredibly S-L-O-W !!!:no:
If you go to ebay.com or ebay.co.uk and enter : 110251781948

It will come up with a picture of my fast ram card - I must state this IS NOT my auction - its just a picture - only difference to mine is that I don't have the FPU enabled. To be honest with you, I bought it second hand and it came with no instructions...

My question is, if I upgraded this card with a decent accelerator, do you know of any that wont interfere with the PCMCIA slot ?

My guessing a decent Blizzard would work OK?

Over to you :yesyes:

Regards,

Castelle

Harrison
15th May 2008, 17:39
I've moved your post into the Amiga Hardware section to that anyone else with similar problems can find it easily.

Regarding your problem. It is due to you using an 8MB fast ram expansion with the A1200. Later cards fixed this problem, but earlier ram expansions and accelerators conflict with the PCMCIA card if more than 4MB of fast ram is installed.

Blizzard and similar 030 and above accelerators do not have this problem and work perfectly with PCMCIA cards.

Zetr0
15th May 2008, 18:01
I've moved your post into the Amiga Hardware section to that anyone else with similar problems can find it easily.

Regarding your problem. It is due to you using an 8MB fast ram expansion with the A1200. Later cards fixed this problem, but earlier ram expansions and accelerators conflict with the PCMCIA card if more than 4MB of fast ram is installed.

Blizzard and similar 030 and above accelerators do not have this problem and work perfectly with PCMCIA cards.

Harrison got that in ONE! well done sir :D

indeed, you can configure your 8mb board for 4 mb fast and your PCMCIA should work perfectly fine, then turn of the a1200 and then change it back to 8mb.

depending on your card i could build you a very small little switch that you plug onto the card, allowing you to turn off, flick a switch and turn on simple as that :D

so post some pics of your 8mb card and i will see what i can do... fear not, I only charge hardware pr0n (thats pics of the item) and postage :D

Castelle
15th May 2008, 18:23

Wow, now that's what I call an answer!! :smartass:

Thanks Zetr0 for the offer of help but I am gonna get me a Blizzard 1230 or similar :cool:
Picking one up on ebay shouldn't be that difficult...

Hoo hum, how I wish I'd not sold that 1260 !!

Mutter, mutter Cuss!!!:sick::sick::sick:

Puni/Void
15th May 2008, 21:35
@Castelle

Thanks Zetr0 for the offer of help but I am gonna get me a Blizzard 1230 or similar. Picking one up on ebay shouldn't be that difficult...

If you're going to look for a Blizzard 1230 on eBay, be prepeared to pay. The prices for such cards are quite steep today. An alternative to this is the great AmiBay (http://www.amibay.co.uk) site. There you can trade stuff with others interested in the Amiga. :) You can post a WTB advert there and maybe someone can help you out.

Castelle
15th May 2008, 22:48
Hi,

Thanks for the advice - I agree Ebay can be quite expensive plus you don't really know if you've just bought a lemon
A, Not working
B, Over Clocked

Cheers,

Castelle ;)

Harrison
16th May 2008, 01:20
Regarding AmiBay. Classicamiga officially supports the site (in fact I host it and help run it with Zetr0 and a host of other Amiga fans) so you can guarantee it is run fairly and prices are never extortionate. It's also completely free to use. We don't charge any fees for listing items for sale, or wanted adverts, and we don't charge any fees for completed sales. It is also not an auction site, so first to get in on a sale with the price being asked gets the items. Nothing fairer than that!

Castelle
16th May 2008, 08:31
Regarding AmiBay. Classicamiga officially supports the site (in fact I host it and help run it with Zetr0 and a host of other Amiga fans) so you can guarantee it is run fairly and prices are never extortionate.

Gee thanks Harrison,

You seem such a nice guy, all of you in fact. Some websites are terrible and when you ask for help it isn't forthcoming. Reminds me of another Amiga Stalwart when I first bought a second hand Commodore A1200 off a mate I met on Ebay (funny enough) called Steve Haywood.

I now have a newly refurbished Amiga Technologies A1200 that I bought off Amigakit.com and to look at it, you would think its brand new, no yellowing at all.

Thinking of which, in this day and age admitting that you are still an Amiga fan is like admitting to people that you're a Status Quo fan !!

Well, I have joined Amibay and I looked in the hardware section and a guy is selling three Blizzards - must be fate :yesyes:

Demon Cleaner
16th May 2008, 08:44
I now have a newly refurbished Amiga Technologies A1200 that I bought off Amigakit.com and to look at it, you would think its brand new, no yellowing at all.I did the same about a year ago, and I must admit that it came in a very good condition, nicely refurbished, no yellowing at all. I hope you can grab one of the blizzards over at AmiBay.

Castelle
16th May 2008, 10:40
I hope you can grab one of the blizzards over at AmiBay.

Thanks Demon Cleaner,

I can only do my best :)

I see that you're a C64 addict. Bit of info for you, I owned a C64 from 1985 until 1989, I think then later I bought the new (then) C64C.
I have to admit, that while the C64C with its new design 1541 was kinda cool back then but I still look back at those happy times with the classic C64 wedge.
I was a huge music fan of the SID and still am too. The classic tunes of Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway played on my Miggy with EaglePlayer is something that I hold very special to me. Non computer people just don't understand the love and loyalty we had and have of the C64 and its big brother - The Amiga

Buleste
16th May 2008, 10:45
I still think the title music for Wizball is superb. That faux guitar riff is the best.

Castelle
16th May 2008, 10:57
I still think the title music for Wizball is superb. That faux guitar riff is the best.

If memory serves me right it was voted the top number one tune of all time on the HVSC website.

I like the Sanxion (loader) tune best and I have a Module of it redone by someone and its a pretty good conversion :)

Zetr0
16th May 2008, 11:30
please note avatar....

nuff said..... ;)

Demon Cleaner
16th May 2008, 11:35
I still have 3 C64 and also 1 C64C (also called C64 II), and a lot of stuff like datasets, floppy drives, cartridges, eprom cards aso. I got my first one in 1983, will never forget that moment :)

I have one desk with an Amiga 500, C64 and a PC with Catweasel controller. The Amiga and C64 are both connected to a Commodore 1084 monitor. And I use the PC to write files to disk using a Catweasel controller. I'm using a 3½/5¼ combi floppy drive in the PC, to write either Amiga or C64 disks, works pretty good. In the past I used an XE1541 cable to write directly to a 1541 floppy drive using Star Commander, but Star Commander only runs under DOS, and with the purchase of the Catweasel (MkIV, had an MkIII first), the XE1541 cable was needless.

I also love SID tunes, and also have my favorites. Sanxion is indeed a classic. And it's great that a project like the HVSC collection exists, and it's still updated nowadays. One of my favorite SIDs is the one from Goonies by John A. Fitzpatrick, and Hypaball by Keith Tinman, really great SID!!

Zetr0
16th May 2008, 11:37
Ahhhhh

:wub::wub: SID music was my first true love :wub::wub:

Puni/Void
17th May 2008, 18:18
Love listening to SID tunes. So many great musicians on the C64!

Zetr0
17th May 2008, 21:29
Love listening to SID tunes. So many great musicians on the C64!

:wub::wub::wub:!!!!ROB MY HUBBARD!!!!:wub::wub::wub:

clearly a legend!

Buleste
17th May 2008, 21:33
We'll leave you alone in a darkened room then.