PDA

View Full Version : Registry scanners and repair

Harrison
15th May 2008, 12:33
Do any of you use any registry scanners?

I tend not to in general as I know my way around the registry and tend to keep things tidy manually. Especially the startup entries to remove the crap from loading at startup that so many naughty installers add without asking.

However I have been getting this problem with Outlook that is causing it to crash when i try to open emails from ebay. I looked though the error logs and discovered that the errors are always reporting the same dll file, so I did some google hunting and many said it was a registry configuration issue and they recommended a free registry scanner that fixed it for them.

The scanner is http://www.regcure.com/

Has anyone else used it? And if so do you think it is any good?

I just did a complete registry scan with it and it has flagged up quite a few potential issues. Most of these don't look like they are serious. They are things like empty uninstall entries, help file info, empty registry keys etc... But it seems useful to kept sort out and clean up the registry.

Buleste
15th May 2008, 12:50
I use Regcure and it does get rid of a lot of sh1t. Naturally mines a full version:piarate5:. I also have a version of Registry First Aid to clean up anything left and also to defrag the registry.

Harrison
15th May 2008, 13:26
Yep, Mine is now the full version too! :JRflag: naturally. ;)

I remember giving Registry First Aid a try a long time ago when it was given away on a cover CD. I didn't like how it integrated into the OS so removed it asap. Regcure seems to be much more standalone which I much prefer. Maybe things have changed with the First Aid one since then, but most of the time the junk left behind in the registry is quite harmless, other than it making the registry a big bigger.

Submeg
15th May 2008, 14:06
same here....but seriously...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/Submeg/regfix.png
looks like I really needed that :unsure:

Buleste
15th May 2008, 14:07
And i though tmine was screwed up when i first run it!!!

Submeg
15th May 2008, 14:09
Haha I never touch the registry. Don't really know what I'm doing :blink:

Buleste
15th May 2008, 14:10
Thats why Regedit is so much fun. It's like russian roulette!!!

Demon Cleaner
15th May 2008, 14:13
I'm using Registry Mechanic from PC Tools and I'm quite happy with it. Using it since a longer time now, and running it every 2-3 month, it detects a lot of crap.

Submeg
15th May 2008, 14:14
As much as the crap I had on mine???? :blink: That really surprised me :(

Harrison
15th May 2008, 14:37
Well... I do manage my registry often by it managed to find over 1400 on my system. :lol:

But, when i looked though the results nearly everything it finds is not really anything bad. Most of the crap it found was for things like dead start menu shortcuts linked to the All Users account. These won't really effect much but it is still good to clean up and remove them.

Harrison
15th May 2008, 14:41
I'm using Registry Mechanic from PC Tools and I'm quite happy with it. Using it since a longer time now, and running it every 2-3 month, it detects a lot of crap.

I'd forgotten about Registry Mechanic. I use their other tool, Spyware Doctor and that is definitely one of the best Spyware tools you can get. I will give Reg Mechanic a go too as it never hurts to run as many of these types of tools as possible.