PDA

View Full Version : Amiga game makes top 10 of all time

v85rawdeal
26th April 2008, 16:50
Amiga stalwart Sensible World Of Soccer has made it onto Game's Top Ten of all Time, in at position no.4

The full order was:

10: GTA:VC (PS2)
9: Tetris (Gameboy)
8: Halo 3 (360)
7: Portal (Multi)
6: World Of Warcraft (PC)
5: Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
4: Sensible World of Soccer (AMIGA)
3: Counter-Strike 1.6 (PC)
2: The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)

1: Half-Life 2 (Multi)

Although us Amiga owners can also hold our heads up high as GTA is also there, and DMA started life on the Amiga, and initially designed GTA on the beige machine (allegedly) ... But they moved the project over to the PC as the specs and potential future support was there, rather than with Commodore's machine...

Harrison
28th April 2008, 12:33
Game? As in the UK store? Do you have a link to this top 10 of all time?

It is great to see the Amiga making the top ten. But for a top ten of all time I don't see many of the other games in it as deserving of those positions. Most are very new games too. Portal for instance. Yes it is quite an innovative puzzle game but it is very short and nowhere near to being one of the best 10 games of all time.

TiredOfLife
29th April 2008, 17:14
Tetris (Gameboy)?
9th best game ever?

I could list ten games on the C64 (and that's just the one platform) that are better.:no:

Brintinacx
29th April 2008, 22:55
Tetris (Gameboy)?
9th best game ever?

I could list ten games on the C64 (and that's just the one platform) that are better.:no:

Legacy of the Ancients anyone?!

or

Black Silver?

As per the above, I don't know who's top 10 list that is, but alot of those I have no clue as to why they are on there at all. I'm sorry to say, the "Amiga" game they picked, is a stunner in itself. I can think of 10 Amiga games, that are better than that.

King's Quest 5 anyone?

Loom?

Buleste
30th April 2008, 09:21
I think with them including Tetris it's more a most influential games as Tetris started the portable gaming revolution (If you ignore Game and Watches) and has been cloned millions of times (Look at our current highscore competition) and is instantly recognisable. The reality though is it should be listed as a C64 games as that is where it started it's life.

Harrison
30th April 2008, 10:33
Did it start out on the C64? I thought it was much earlier than that?

If this top 10 was most influentual games than the original Halo should definitely be there and not the third. And where are the platform games that revolutionised the genre? Mario, Sonic? And for online multiplayer gaming you have to say Quake 3 played a huge role in moving gaming online. All proceeding games, even MMOs like WoW owe it to Q3 to get online multiplayer gaming popular.

Buleste
30th April 2008, 10:57
I've just checked on Wiki and tetris was created in 1985 for the Elektronika 60 and then ported to the PC.
As for the influential thing i was only giving a theory as to why Tetris for the gameboy was there.

Demon Cleaner
30th April 2008, 11:21
Did it start out on the C64? I thought it was much earlier than that?The C64 was released 1982 in the US and 1983 in Germany.

Harrison
30th April 2008, 14:52
Did it start out on the C64? I thought it was much earlier than that?The C64 was released 1982 in the US and 1983 in Germany.

But the year a platform is releases isn't always indicative of what a game is released for it, or if it originated on it. So often Amiga and ST games were ported to the C64, CPC and Spectrum late in their lives for example.

I've just checked on Wiki and tetris was created in 1985 for the Elektronika 60 and then ported to the PC.
As for the influential thing i was only giving a theory as to why Tetris for the gameboy was there.

I was sure it was a Russian platform that Tetris was first developed and released on so there we go. :) Even if it was a rack mounted mainframe. :dry:

v85rawdeal
3rd May 2008, 15:51
The link to the page is http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=8961&cm_mmc=update-_-wk1308-_-general-_-GreatestGames

Harrison
5th May 2008, 16:57
I have the feeling that a large percentage of the demographic of Game that would have voted for that pole would have been too young to really know the whole spectrum of gaming right from the beginning. For me you cannot state that such a top 10 is of the greatest games of all time because you could only do that if everyone voting had the experience and knowledge of the whole of the games industries history.