PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 64 Web

Harrison
24th April 2008, 15:29
I always like to see websites being served from retro hardware. It is quite a feat to serve something from an Amiga, but with the Commodore 64 Web website the site is stated as being served by an unmodified C64.

Is this possible? Not sure as when I think of a 1Mhz computer serving websites I can't seem to get my brain to agree. But I'm sure it is as it evident in the photos of the C64 being used for the site. I expect the C64 fans of the forum already know the site well.

http://www.c64web.com/

The only thing I'm questioning is how it can keep up with serving the Java C64 emulator to play the selection of C64 games it is hosting? The file sizes and data being sent to serve those pages would in my view quickly overload a C64 processor. I could be wrong and it seems I am as the site is very responsive and usable. I will definitely have to give the OS running on this C64, Contiki OS, a try on some retro hardware to see what it can do.

It is a fun little C64 site, and you can play some classic C64 games in your browser so it is all good. :)

Harrison
24th April 2008, 15:43
Something quite mad. I've just been reading more abou the Contiki OS and it is quite cool. It is designed specifically to run on very limited 8-bit and 16-bit systems. It only need a few KB of code and a few hundred bytes of ram! And the full system complete with GUI only needs 30KB of ram. Who else thinks current computer OSs are bloated now? ;)

And the mad thing is the platforms this OS is being ported to. Along with the C64 version, as used by the site above, others such as the Apple II, Atari 8-bit and ST, Oric and a few others, these is also the Commodore PET and Vic 20. Now we all know how limited those are.

But it gets better. The original Playstation, Dreamcast and PC Engine are also seeing ports, which with their much more powerful hardware could be great.

But equally there are some mad people out there, because it is also being ported to the original Nintendo Game Boy. :blink: Imagine it. "This website is being served from a Gameboy" MAD!