PDA

View Full Version : Simon the Sorcerer 4: Chaos Happens

Harrison
16th April 2008, 23:42
Simon the Sorcerer 4: Chaos Happens has finally been released!

Initial reviews are not that overjoyed by it, giving scores around the 6/10 or 60% range. So based on the scores it should be playable and worth playing, but not that great.

Thankfully this 4th game is a return to the traditional point an click adventures of the first two films, unlike the third "Simon the Sorcerer 3D" which disastrously look the series into full 3D adventure territory.

I for one am looking forward to playing this new one. Especially after just helping to add the second games details and screenshots into the site, so interest in the series is currently quite high for me. :)

Demon Cleaner
17th April 2008, 05:36
:) I already played it 6 month ago, the german version of course. I liked it, was definitely better than the 3rd one, which was a total failure. I prefer the first 2 games though, but this one's not bad either. As you mentioned, I also would give it a rating between 60-70%.

Have fun ;)

Buleste
17th April 2008, 09:51
TBH whilst STSII is a good game it's no where near as good as the original and wouldn't rate it above much above 70% and i have this picture of the Woodroffe's all having this Uber geek gene which means their humour will not have developed that much from the 90's so STSIV wouldn't be that much of an improvement. As for Simon3D that was an inevitable development. The 3rd game in the series came at the time that 3D games started to become popular so like a lot of things they did it because they could not because it was a good idea so it became the computer game equivelent of a Darwin Award.

Harrison
17th April 2008, 10:06
Except the third games was actually fully developed in 2D, but the publishers refused to take it because of the 3D uptake, so they had to redevelop it into 3D. It would be interested to get hold of the original 2D version.

burns flipper
8th May 2008, 11:20
I am playing this game at the moment, having just finished Jack Keane. I am confused as to why Simon has an American accent when he's from Wolverhampton.

The graphics are gorgeous, like STS1 but pre-rendered in very high quality - even the butterflies and bird animations are back in the forest.

Don't no-one spoil it for me, I'm only 30 minutes in.

Buleste
8th May 2008, 11:45
I am playing this game at the moment, having just finished Jack Keane. I am confused as to why Simon has an American accent when he's from Wolverhampton.

Have you been to Wolverhampton recently? Simon probably emigrated to the states a few years ago to get out of there. Along with Stoke on Trent the only urban regeneration that would help it would be in the form of a thermo nuclear device.

burns flipper
9th May 2008, 10:37
I once saw a stand up show and the comic said "My parents moved to Wolverhampton when I was a baby to make me sound like a c**t"

Buleste
9th May 2008, 10:54
Regional accents are another reason why both Stoke and Wolverhampton should be wiped off the face of the planet. I'd sooner walk down the High Street in Bagdad wearing an Uncle Sam costume, whistling the star spangled banner with a banner saying "Mohammed Sucks" than live in either of Stoke or Wolverhampton. And they are two of my closest big towns.

Harrison
23rd September 2008, 10:21
I finally got around to playing StS4 the other day and I was very disappointed. The game is complete toss!

The prerendered graphics do look very nice. However the gameplay I've seen so far is really boring and not interesting at all. The puzzles are completely illogical and most things are completely random. The US accents are also really annoying and the voices are very boring.

And to show how illogical the puzzled are, take the very first one as an example. Mentioning this won't ruin the game for anyone as you need to do this to actually begin the game. After a reasonably good intro dream sequence you find yourself in your room. After exploring and clicking on everything you can find you discover that you need to activate your wardrobe to get back to the other world. How do you do this? Very logical this is! You insert a glass of milk into the wardrobe!!! :blink:

And once you arrive it doesn't get any better. The conversations with the characters you meet are very boring and feel like a chore to sit through, and they keep repeating the same lines too many times!

OK, I'm not that far into the game so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I will play it a bit more to see if it improves, but compared to the first two games in the series this is so far not even close to comparing to them.

Sharingan
23rd September 2008, 11:54
Didn't you know wardrobes get thirsty too?

IT'S A COMPLETELY LOGICAL PUZZLE.

burns flipper
25th September 2008, 12:59
I finally got around to playing StS4 the other day and I was very disappointed. The game is complete toss!I finished it. I played it ALL TO THE END and it is UTTERLY TERRIBLE.

It really is.

The prerendered graphics do look very nice. However the gameplay I've seen so far is really boring and not interesting at all. The puzzles are completely illogical and most things are completely random. The US accents are also really annoying and the voices are very boring.The characters with American accents are the ones who use the English colloquialisms "gimp", "git" and "sod". They sound really out of place since the actors clearly don't know what the words mean, and they pronounce them in such a funny way that it really makes it sound uncongruous, and nobody has ever used these words outside of 1990.

And the game is DULL. Let me tell you how dull it is. Imagine sitting staring at a blank wall. No colour, no texture, no smell, nothing. AND THEN IMAGINE DOING IT FOR 14 HOURS, whilst you know that everyone in the next room is having lots of sex with hot girls.

Buleste
25th September 2008, 13:05
And the game is DULL. Let me tell you how dull it is. Imagine sitting staring at a blank wall. No colour, no texture, no smell, nothing. AND THEN IMAGINE DOING IT FOR 14 HOURS, whilst you know that everyone in the next room is having lots of sex with hot girls.

Can i be alone in the next room with lots of hot girls and lock you lot in the room with the pretty wall?;)