PDA

View Full Version : Amiga Domination

TiredOfLife
10th April 2008, 14:02
Well the title is what I'm hoping will happen.
What I want o hear from you all, is how this can happen.

Sensible, unrealistic, fanboy, fantasy and plain nutjob ideas all welcome. :yesyes:

Buleste
10th April 2008, 14:25
Write a cross platform virus that Kills AMD and Intel CPU's whilst destroying harddrives so that they can only use FFS.

TiredOfLife
10th April 2008, 14:26
Year 2015: Keyboards are replaced by implants to the brain and typing is done by thought.

Year 2022: Amiga is left behind (Once again) as the WWW replacement goes live.

Year 2022: Bill Gates jnr blocks any non Windoze Virus TM machines from accessing the new technology.

Year 2031: Computers no longer just accept thought commands, they learn about conscious thought.

Year 2032: Computer swiftly learn how to send commands back to the user.

Year 2033: After years of suffering by technology at the hands (Minds?) of clueless users of Windoze and it's evil masters, the technology finally revolts and start refusing to accept commands.

Year 2034: One computer watches the game Lemmings played on an Amiga Emulator and take note.

Year 2034: All Windoze machines send out a similtaneous command which results in billions of humans killing themselves in series of bizzare accidents.

Year 2034: The resulting spike of power also takes out all machines.

Year 2035: The electricity supplied is restored.

Year 2036: WWW is the only computer network in existence populated by all the Amigas left behind.

Year 2037: New Amigas built.

Buleste
10th April 2008, 14:29
Looks like the internet could be replaced long before 2022

The internet, as we know it, could be obsolete within a decade.

Forget dial-up; forget broadband: The future, it seems, is The Grid.

It's the brainchild of CERN, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research based in Geneva.

It's there that Sir Tim Berners-Lee first invented the internet, so it's appropriate that the next stage in its evolution should emerge there.

But what is the Grid?

In fact, it is a spin-off from another major research project. For several years, the particle physicists at CERN have been building a device called the Large Hadron Collider.

Knowing they would need massive processing capability to cope with the data from the new device, the scientists set about integrating thousands of computers all around the world.

Professor Tony Doyle, technical director of the project, says: "We need so much processing power, if all the computers were here at CERN there would be a problem getting enough electricity to run them.

"We had to have a new network powerful enough to send the data instantly to research partners in other countries."

That network of linked computers - connected by superfast fibre-optic cable and combining together to act as one giant super-computer - is the Grid and, one day, it won't just be for scientists. We'll all be connected to it.

It's not actually a new principle. SETI@home is a programme for PCs which is helping to analyse the data of the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico.

It's been downloaded by half a million public-spirited people who allow the spare processing power of their personal computers to be used remotely by the astronomers to number-crunch their scientific data.

But while SETI@home runs on private PCs and over existing telephone cables, CERN's Grid uses fibre-optic links to dedicated resources in major computer centres and can therefore handle much more complex calculations.

The long-term possibilities for home entertainment are immense.

It's estimated that connection speeds could be 1,000 times faster than current broadband capabilities.

Imagine being able to download feature films in the blink of an eye, or the entire Beatles back catalogue in less than a second. Grainy webcam images would be replaced by crystal clear pictures and sound, and video gaming would be transformed.

According to Professor David Britton, a leading figure in the Grid project: "With this kind of computing power, future generations will have the ability to communicate in ways older people like me cannot even imagine."

And there are also medical applications. It's already been used to help research anti-malarial drugs.

Researchers used the Grid to analyse 140 million different compounds - a process which would have taken 420 years to complete on a conventional internet-linked computer. The Grid might soon be used to help unlock the secrets of the human genome.

CERN has produced a flash movie to explain the project's evolution.

Harrison
10th April 2008, 14:49
Basically if that theory goes into practice it would revert computer use from current standalone home computers into a worldwide networked mainframe with home users connected to it via PCs that will be used as little more than terminals. Therefore reverting control back to the mainframe and away from individual choice.

I bet M$ love this idea. If they took it far enough and it really was as fast as claimed, then why would consumers even have a need to download albums or films. Such speed would offer perfect streaming without any of the current bandwidth issues. Therefore the owners of the media would be in a perfect position to offer pay per play services and fleece us all for even more money!

TiredOfLife
10th April 2008, 15:03
@ Buleste

I have seen this recently.
From what I gather (an am prepared to admit I could be way off), this isn't so much a replacement for the web as an upgrade.

@ Harrison

It's a strange one isn't it.
I wouldn't say it's exactly the the mainframe model either.
Sort of like a cross between the two.

v85rawdeal
10th April 2008, 18:47
I say we vote an Amiga into the White House...

...Well, it can't do any worse, can it...

Stephen Coates
10th April 2008, 21:53
I seriously do not hope we have to wait 36 years for new amigas.

But the way things are going...

Submeg
10th April 2008, 23:04
On a side note, love the sig Steve, that is sweet!

Buleste
11th April 2008, 09:34

Do you really think there are going to be new Amigas?

Graham Humphrey
11th April 2008, 09:53
Maybe when Hell freezes over.

Buleste
11th April 2008, 09:58
Maybe when Hell freezes over.

And right now they're suffering from the greenhouse effect and having a heatwave.

Stephen Coates
11th April 2008, 17:42

Do you really think there are going to be new Amigas?

Maybe in 36 years time.

Thanks. Only took a couple of minutes to make it in MS Word.

Buleste
11th April 2008, 20:52

Thanks. Only took a couple of minutes to make it in MS Word.

I've never seen MSWord put to so much good use.

Stephen Coates
11th April 2008, 21:19
I just used the 'Amiga Forever' font (Topaz for Windows), coloured it and used the highlight function to highlight it in black.

J T
14th April 2008, 21:23
Awww, I was expecting someone to photoshop a gimp mask onto Jay Miner's picture :whistle:

Harrison
14th April 2008, 21:31
Well... you were saying you might want a new sig pic JT! ;)