PDA

View Full Version : Running out of HD space....

Submeg
16th January 2007, 22:47
"Funny how a HD is never big enough..." - Harrison.

Ah, the longest running topic ever in Classicamiga history. Good to see the old turned new again.

I haven't had this problem so far. Having limited internet access, I dont get to sit there and download much, so I have plently of space!

That reminds me....

Anyway, enjoy this fresh take on the topic. This is now version 2.0

:thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
16th January 2007, 22:52
In the past, it was no such big deal having a smaller disk, but nowadays, you can buy several disks over a year, or just replace smaller by bigger ones.

Harrison
16th January 2007, 23:58
He he, that original topic must have been the best example of going off topic ever. :)

And it is still true today. HD space is never big enough. I've all but run out here at the moment and am having to backup everything I download to DVD so I can delete it to make room to download the next file. Mad!

I have however noticed that 500GB HD's have really dropped in price now so I may stick a couple in one of my systems to help out a bit. :) 1TB should be enough for a few months. :lol:

But then I spotted a nice shiny 750GB HD and am now torn. Two of those would give me 1.5GB of space. :D but at a price. For less I could buy 4 500GB HD's and have 2TB! :D

Hmm... it might be time to build a cheap PC, stick 4 500GB HD's in it, install FreeNAS on it and connect it up to the network! ;)

Demon Cleaner
17th January 2007, 00:04
And if you gonna use 4 HDs, you can use them in Raid 5 mode, which is very important if you store a lot of files to it. I've learned that backups are crucial, and I would literally kill myself if I'd lose data acquired over a long period.

Puni/Void
17th January 2007, 10:50
Ahh, we all remembe the good old "Running out of HD space" topic. :)

Demon wrote:

And if you gonna use 4 HDs, you can use them in Raid 5 mode, which is very important if you store a lot of files to it. I've learned that backups are crucial, and I would literally kill myself if I'd lose data acquired over a long period.

Tell me about it. One should be very aware of taking backups. I lost 80GB's of files a few months ago, and did I have backups? Fortunately I had backed up some of the more important files, which I'm happy about that. The problem with the HD is that it will not take up any electricity, so I guess the motor is down. :(

Submeg
17th January 2007, 10:59
Lol hmm, advice that should have been sent to some people, so that this topic didnt have to be restarted....

Harrison
17th January 2007, 11:56
very true! :hmmm:

Stephen Coates
17th January 2007, 15:40
I was wondering when someone would make this topic again.

Submeg
17th January 2007, 21:07
And here it is! The Famous Running Out Of HD Space topic!!!! Wooooooooo!!!

Puni/Void
17th January 2007, 21:30
It will take a lot of posting before it will become as big as the original one. :)

Teho
18th January 2007, 14:44
Oh, we'll manage it I'm sure. :)

On the topic of HDs, I'm about to get a new one I think. Finally replacing Parkinson, which is the one that's failed on me twice before, and is about to give up the ghost again. Found out with uTorrent actually. It's set to store downloads on Parkinson, and for a while now it's been using a lot of CPU. After searching a bit about that, I saw one suggestion that it might be because the HD may be failing. So downloaded the diagnostic tool from Maxtor, which reported that this thing may be more useful as a paperweight soon.

So time to get a new one methinks.

Edit: And yeah, after moving the torrents folder to another HD (Downs), uTorrent stopped hogging the CPU. So that was the problem.

Harrison
18th January 2007, 15:15
Still using the sick HD naming scheme I see! :lol: I'm sure your HDs keep failing on you purely because of their names! ;)

It's interesting to hear that failing HDs can cause uTorrent to use excessive CPU time. I haven't encountered that myself yet.

Teho
18th January 2007, 15:32
The naming scheme is a testament to how I viewed PCs back when I first moved over to them from Amigas. That's when I first named the computer Alzheimer. Later it became the HD name instead, and as I got new HDs I kept using similar names. Still do, though I view PCs in a slightly better light these days. ;)

I would never have guessed that the HD could be blamed for that either. And the FAQ on uTorrent's homepage doesn't mention it either. It does mention that it can happen when it is used in conjunction with Avast, which I do. So looked into that dead end for quite a while before I started searching the net for answers. Eventually found that suggestion on some forum somewhere.

Harrison
18th January 2007, 15:37
Does the Maxtor diagnostic tool only test Maxtor drives? Is it called PowerMax? If so I should have it somewhere. I have quite a few Maxtor drives so really should run it on them just to check them. But I also have some Seagate and *whispers* IBM drives I would like to test too just to make sure they are all OK.

Teho
18th January 2007, 15:47
Don't know if it does. It was actually quite a pain to use, you have to put it on either a floppy or a CD and boot into it. And performing a full scan of this 120GB HD took forever, about an hour. And when it was done, it just stated that the drive has problems and gave a code.

And, did you know Maxtor has been bought by or merged with Seagate now? I found out when I got this diagnostic code from the tool, and was told to enter that into a form on the Maxtor pages to see what it was and if any warranty would cover it. Well that form didn't exist any more "since we're now part of Seagate" it links to a page on Seagate instead. That wants you to run their tool to find the problem with the drive. Which in the end I couldn't be bothered to do.

Harrison
18th January 2007, 15:52
Yeah I did know the two companies had merged. They are still manufacturing both brands of HD though which is a slightly odd move I thought when surely they will both end up using the exact same technology? or will they?

I did just have a quick look for diagnostic tools and saw Seagate have one called Seatools. So I may give that a go. They seem to even have a version that will run from your browser and test the HD. The link to the Seatools is at http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

AlexJ
18th January 2007, 16:05
The browser based one is quite cool, there's an option of a 2 minute quick scan or a 20 minute detailed scan. It seems to test all manufactures HDD (or at least the ones I've tried).

Maybe I'll format it and auction it off. It has worked fine for quite a while after formatting before, after all. :whistle:

:lol: I did something a bit naughty like that a while back with a motherboard. :whistle:

Teho
18th January 2007, 16:10
Sounds good. I'll be sure to check that one out sometime then. :)

Not going to bother now as I've allready decided to just replace the HD with a new one. It's 4-5 years old anyway, and has failed a couple of times before so it's obviously no point to keep using it.

Maybe I'll format it and auction it off. It has worked fine for quite a while after formatting before, after all. :whistle:

Harrison
18th January 2007, 16:11
Sounds good. I will definitely give it a try later. The site says it works for IE and Netscape, but fails to mention any other browser. For some reason I don't feel happy letting IE7 "check" my drives.

AlexJ
18th January 2007, 16:17
Sounds good. I will definitely give it a try later. The site says it works for IE and Netscape, but fails to mention any other browser. For some reason I don't feel happy letting IE7 "check" my drives.

It works fine with Firefox, although the plugin's a bit clunky to install (it requires you to download an installer, then can't find netscape so dumps the plugin on the desktop which can then be copied into %programfiles%/Mozilla Firefox/plugins/ and then restarting Firefox)

Harrison
18th January 2007, 16:18
Sound like it might be easier to just use the standalone tool you can download.

AlexJ
18th January 2007, 17:33
Yeah but once the plugins installed you can use the website anytime, no need to look around for where the program is installed or have it junking up the start menu.

TiredOfLife
18th January 2007, 20:02
It will take a lot of posting before it will become as big as the original one. :)

And when it does, will we have enough HD space to store it?

AlexJ
18th January 2007, 21:26
Probably not if it was stored on my HDD:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8089/nospaceap9.png

Harrison
19th January 2007, 00:48
Oops, time to do some backing up I think Alex.

AlexJ
19th January 2007, 11:11
Yeah haven't archived any films for ages, that should clear a bit of space. How often is the site backed up? Is it safe for me to delete content I've uploaded?

Harrison
19th January 2007, 12:48
How often is the site backed up? Is it safe for me to delete content I've uploaded?

See post in the staff forum for details.

Submeg
1st July 2007, 22:45
Ok...I just saw 1TB external HD for 500! So bull, I hate when there is a price crash... GRR. Eventually I will have that much, but at the moment, dont need that much space.

Harrison
2nd July 2007, 12:25
What currency is that in? In the UK you can get a 500GB external HD for £75, but 1TB HDs are still very expensive and not worth it yet. 2x 500GB HDs are much cheaper.

AlexJ
2nd July 2007, 12:40
Assuming Australian Dollars, that makes it about £200 which sounds about right.

Harrison
2nd July 2007, 13:03
£200 for a 1TB drive? Have they just dropped by a lot then, as they were much more than that last month when I looked.

AlexJ
2nd July 2007, 13:30
£200 for a 1TB drive? Have they just dropped by a lot then, as they were much more than that last month when I looked.

Checking on Google it's actually £211 not £200. Still, CompUSA charges US$399.99 (approx £200) for a 1TB drive. It's seems it's just us in the UK that are paying around £250 for it.

Sharingan
2nd July 2007, 13:56
I'm amazed by just how cheap mass HDD storage has become. Just two weeks ago, I bought a 500 GB external Western Digital for 120 € (about 80 British Pounds). Intending to get another quite soon.

I still remember how outrageously expensive they were back in the day, and 120 MB drives were considered 'huge' :)

The drive is pretty good, by the way. Simple plug and play. Not the fastest, nor the quietest, but good enough for backup purposes.

Harrison
2nd July 2007, 14:09
Computer hardware just continues to drop in price and it always amazes me, especially as you say when you start to think back to how expensive it was in the old days.

I remember when Harddrives first became "affordable" to richer home users, with a 10MB HD costing £1000, and wishing I could afford one.

Sharingan
2nd July 2007, 14:17
I remember when Harddrives first became "affordable" to richer home users, with a 10MB HD costing £1000, and wishing I could afford one.

But when you finally got one, it was almost heaven, wasn't it? Workbench booting up in less than a minute instead of 2-3 minutes ... not having to swap floppy disks 'just to be able to listen to that MOD' :p

I'm not complaining about how well we have it now, but there was something quite charming about having to manage your files efficiently, constantly monitoring which files you needed often and which files you could do away with. Heh ... nostalgia.

Harrison
2nd July 2007, 14:26
It was great getting my first HD, that is very true. I think Workbench was one of the first OSs that definitely did benefit greatly from being installed to HD. In contrast, at the time, DOS and others such as GEM (Atari ST) just didn't really feel any different running from floppy or HD except for the load times, but with the Amiga it allowed you to expand the abilities of Workbench far beyond the possibilities restricted by floppy disk sizes.

J T
2nd July 2007, 16:48
I just recently bought a maxtor external HDD to back up my MP3s and things onto (we'll talk numbers of tracks in a different thread *ahem*). It's ugly as hell but decent capacity and wasn't too expensive.

Always wanted an HDD for the Amiga (even though I didn't need one at all). I remember it being hundreds of pounds for a 20meg unit that was big and ugly too. Now you can get 10x more storage on a teeny tiny memory card for a few quid. How things change.

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:16
Indeed.....8 GB flash drives....
1TB esternal harddrives, it's insane! I'm not happy though, I only just bought a 250 GB, so that is probably crashed in price :dry:

Demon Cleaner
2nd July 2007, 22:22
I recently bought 2 500GB internal drives, to remove one of my externals. That was for my barebone emulation PC, and the 2nd disk serves only as mirror.

I always used a 320GB external disk as mirror, but I now chose this method as I made some bad experiences with external drives, already 2 of them died, one WD and one Maxtor.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 00:31
I'm not a huge fan of external HDs either. The NAS Linkstation I've had for a while now is still working perfectly well, but normal external HDs never seem as reliable as internal drives. Not sure why as they are basically the same mechanisms inside the cases. Maybe it is just due to them being more vulnerable inside their own case.

Submeg
3rd July 2007, 09:22
Hmm, that's not good to hear....I have all my music on that drive so I don't want it to die! :unsure:

Puni/Void
3rd July 2007, 10:26
Remember to do backups, Submeg. :) After reading the posts here again, I must also remember to do some backups soon. Don't want to have another incident like last time, which is not long ago, when I lost tons of stuff. I'm not halfway getting all that back again yet, as there were some rare files on there, which are hard to get hold of. :(

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 11:22
I think everyone starts to backup their files only after they have first experiences losing a lot from a hardware failure. I know I did, but for me it was a bad virus infection many years ago that corrupted and wiped out a lot of the contents of the PC's HD and could not be recovered. That wasn't nice.

For most files I do DVD-R backups, but for audio I mirror my collection between two sources, one copy on the external NAS drive which they are played from, and the second on another internal HD in one of my systems. So if one fails I can just copy the other over to the replacement.

AlexJ
3rd July 2007, 11:39
For most files I do DVD-R backups, but for audio I mirror my collection between two sources, one copy on the external NAS drive which they are played from, and the second on another internal HD in one of my systems. So if one fails I can just copy the other over to the replacement.

Same here, I just couldn't have the patience to back up my MP3's onto DVD-R's (think how many it would take), and restoring them would be pretty tedious too. I just keep a copy on two seperate HDD's. Films though I tend to watch once, then put away so DVD is fine for these. I still look forward to the day though when HDD sizes are great enough to allow me to have a film collection like my MP3 collection today, where 1000's of films are available at a click of a button.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 12:04
That will be great to have all films available and ready to access and watch at the click of a button. Although with HD started to become popular it will mean the file size of films is going to grow and so unless you stick to standard definition it might still be some time before that becomes reality.

Of course, you can still fit quite a few DivX encoded films onto a 1TB HD!

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 13:22
I'm a bit different, I don't collect mp3 files. I d/l some of the new albums I want to listen to, then if I lik'em, I just buy'em. I have about 1500 original CDs, and a collection of perhaps 25 mp3 files.

The same is with movies, I d/l the movies, watch them, delete them, don't even keep them on DVD. And when there's a movie that I find especially good, I just buy it.

Only thing I collect are the ROMs and other retro stuff, which takes a huge amount of space.

Submeg
3rd July 2007, 23:09
Hmm, but all I have on there is my cds, so if I lost them I could also just put them on again :p

Harrison
4th July 2007, 00:11
But that is still a time consuming process.

Submeg
4th July 2007, 00:14
I guess, but I dont really want to back it all up to DVDs, considering my DVD burner in my laptop is incapable of burning DVDs....I could do it on my other comp thou....

Harrison
29th August 2007, 15:22
This topic was in danger of dying as it was quickly dropping down the list! :o :lol: So I thought I would get it going again with a nice little announcement that I've just made some new HD purchases. :)

The old ATA drive in my main system has been throwing up the odd read error in the last couple of months so I thought it time to replace it.

So I've just ordered 2 500GB Seagata SATA drives that should be arriving tomorrow. And while ordering them I noticed the 500GB external Lacie drives have dropped in price too and were actually only £2 more than the internal drives! So I ordered one of those too. :)

So once these arrive I will be altering the main system setup so it has a 300GB SATA boot drive (another drive I already have), plus the 2 new 500GB SATA drives for data. And I will be using the external 500GB HD for backup purposes for data I change regularly and don't want to keep wasting new black DVDs for each month to keep creating new backups. This will be for things like my MP3 collection and MAME set.

Puni/Void
29th August 2007, 16:01
Congratulations on your purchases, Harrison. You do for sure have a lot of HD space now. :D

Harrison
29th August 2007, 16:25
It was just in time too as I was just running out of HD space across most of my systems and I was starting to have to shuffle files around to make room on some of the drives. Starts to become a bit of a nightmare when that happens.

This also means I've now broken though the 3TB total HD space across all my systems. :D

toomanymikes
29th August 2007, 18:17
You could fit a lot of Prawn on that, if your into that sort of thing...:rolleyes:

Demon Cleaner
29th August 2007, 19:11
You could fit a lot of Prawn on that, if your into that sort of thing...He does support the pr0n market and therefore only buys originals ;):lol:

J T
29th August 2007, 19:27
You could fit a lot of Prawn on that, if your into that sort of thing...:rolleyes:

Smell-o-vision...... fishy....... Think you can join the dots up and be suitably a bit grossed out.

(Some of the younger or more inexperienced viewers may not get that)

Harrison
30th August 2007, 00:27
You could fit a lot of Prawn on that, if your into that sort of thing...He does support the pr0n market and therefore only buys originals ;):lol:

I always support quality directing. ;)

:thumbs:

Submeg
30th August 2007, 12:24
lol fishy! Ha. You do have an odd knack for weird comments J T. :thumbs:

Well, as I said before, I had 1TB at one stage...but now back to a 750 GB....but I already have a 250 GB external HD...so in all I have about 1.06 TB of storage! :)

Harrison
6th November 2007, 16:10
Why did I have to discover the #GameMP3s torrent collection. Now my external NAS drive I use for my MP3 collection is completely full! Bugger!

Submeg
6th November 2007, 19:53
Whoops! Who led you to torrent?

Harrison
6th November 2007, 22:32
Sadly I have no one to blame but myself! :lol:

Submeg
7th November 2007, 00:07
Tsk. Tsk...:nono:

Puni/Void
8th June 2009, 14:51
So, how's the HD situation out there?

Stephen Coates
8th June 2009, 15:22
So, how's the HD situation out there?

My big HD has 680MB remaining.

Harrison
8th June 2009, 16:37
My HD situation is very nice at the moment.. about 7TB in total! ;)

When I built my new PC in March I decided to take all my older PCs and build 2 really good second and third systems from all of their parts to use as new emulation and download systems, as the current ones were getting older.

Once I had built the 2 systems I configured the oldest of them as my new download and test server and as that is the only one of my new main 3 systems now using PATA drives it got all the best ones I had.

And then for the other PC, that is used for emulation, I had a spare 120GB SATA drive for the boot drive, and then I purchased 4 new 1TB Samsung SATA drives. 3 for the emulation system and one for the main system to go with the 2 500GB HDD and another 120GB drive.

So my 3 main system setups now have the following drives:

Download/Test Server (Jade):

200GB + 200GB + 160GB = 560GB

Emulation system (Soprano):

120GB (boot drive) + 3x 1TB = 3.12TB

Main System (Tsunami):

120GB (boot drive) + 2x 500GB + 1TB = 2.12TB

External USB2 HDD:

500GB

NAS (Arc1):

500GB

That leaves me with 3 further PCs that are not used much.

Backup spare PC (Yuna) (if one of the others goes wrong):

120GB + 60GB = 180GB

Linux PC (Aeris):

60GB

DOSBox PC

12GB

Giving me 7.05TB :D

Submeg
9th June 2009, 10:48
ATM, main laptop: 60 GB
music laptop: 300 GB
externals: 250 GB + 500 GB + 750 GB = 1.5 TB

TOTAL: 1.96 TB

burns flipper
9th June 2009, 15:23
I feel I am lagging behind. I have 1.5 + 6 + 21 + 45 + 146 = 219.5GB free in my machine and only 500 + 160 = 660GB free on my externals. That's not even 1TB :(

I am ashamed to have so little free space :unsure:

Bloodwych
9th June 2009, 17:23
Man, you data whores! That's some serious storage! I tend to only download and keep what I use.

For data storage, I have two SATA 500GB hard drives on my media PC and one 250GB external eSATA. I basically have only about 100GB of files that are mirrored on the two 500 gig'ers (not RAID) and the 250GB eSATA. That's three copies, although the external only gets updated about once a month. I also do DVD-R and DVD-RW backups once a year or so when I can be arsed (ie hardly ever!)

That 100GB includes full ROM sets (but not huge CHD files or CD images) of my favourite retro machines, MP3 album collection, software, drivers, pictures, personal files etc. Like I said, I just keep what I use and don't hoard stuff up.

I think another reason I don't have a huge data stockpile is I never keep xvid or HD movies on my hard drives, only music and short video clips. Since I tend to watch a movie once every five years or so, I'd just rather buy it and store it on the DVD/bluray it comes on. Can't be arsed to mess on encoding or having it stored on the hard drive only for it to be accessed once in a blue moon. Same with CD images - just burn them to disk then delete unless they're important.

Harrison
9th June 2009, 19:00
I also tend to watch a film then burn it to disc and delete the copy from the HDD. Don't think I have any movies on my HDs at the moment.

Most of mine is taken up with rom sets and cd sets on my emulation system, stuff I'm seeding and downloading on the download system, and design work and installed games on my main system. I currently have quite a lot of space free across the three systems as I recently backed everything up to DVD and tidied everything up. That took some time.

Bloodwych
9th June 2009, 19:35
To be truthful, I'm glad you all collect and store these complete emulation sets and images. It's what makes torrents so awesome! Also means there is interesting stuff backed up all around the world for future generations! :D

Yes I agree Harrision, backing up data is such a pain when using DVDs even at 16x speed. I tend to rely quite heavily on the external hard drive now. Bring on the Blueray burners!

Harrison
9th June 2009, 22:45
Very true. HDs are now so cheap you can justify using one for backing up these days. I have an external 500GB drive just for that purpose, mainly to mirror my MP3 collection as I could never be bothered to back that up to DVD or CD any more.

Puni/Void
6th October 2009, 10:38
Got myself a new SCSI HD-controller for the Amiga 500. It did originally come with a whopping 20MB HD. :lol: Guess I'll have to get a bigger one.

Harrison
6th October 2009, 12:40
Which A500 controller did you get? And what is the max size of SCSI HDD it can support? You can get 4GB SCSI drives in ebay for under £5, but it seems smaller than that are harder to find, or the sellers are asking more. I've seen a 1.05GB drive for about £10, but most that size or slightly more are going for £25-50 which is mad.

Puni/Void
7th October 2009, 09:08
I got hold of an Commodore A590 HD. For more information about the controller, see here (http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?product=a590&company=).

It includes one of the latest versions of the ROM, so it has been reported that it can handle HD's up to 9GB.

I'm thinking of getting an HD for it that is about 500MB to 1GB in size. That's more than enough, since the A1200 is my main machine.

The next items on the list is a ROM-switcher and an extra set of ROM's. Do you have any lefterover A500 items by the way?

Harrison
7th October 2009, 16:13
I've never really done much upgrading of A500's beyond the trapdoor expansions and kickstart roms, so don't have much in ther way of upgrades, and no side bus expansions at all. I've concentrated on the A600, A1200 and A4000 the most over the years.

I might have some old SCSI drives but not sure. I will have a look.

Puni/Void
25th November 2014, 19:05
I can't remember how it was like to run out of HD-space. Now I got more space than I need! What I run out of now is space in the home. ;)

Harrison
26th November 2014, 01:35
:lol: so true with children. They take up so much space.

I still run out of hdd space though. My 2TB drive for Steam games was full last week, and it's becoming a problem with new games now taking up over 40GB each in some cases.

Stephen Coates
26th November 2014, 08:13
How much HDD storage do you have now Harrison?

I'm still on the 500GB drive I got in early 2010 and it still has quite a bit of free space.

Harrison
26th November 2014, 09:45
Rough guess is somewhere around 40TB.

Kin Hell
30th November 2014, 10:07

ROFL! :lol:

Harrison
30th November 2014, 13:34
What is everyone else's totals these days?

I've just been reading back through this thread and it's amazing that only 5 years ago storage spaces were so much lower. With the takeover of streaming media and download content over physical media we are needing hdd storage more these days.

Compared to 2009 I now store all my films on my server's hdds and stream it to my smart tv. I hardly every play a DVD or BD any more. And I can't remember the last time I played a CD.

Although I'm finding the opposite is true for my tablet.. which only needs storage for apps. Years ago it was a struggle to store content on mobile devices, but now with streaming services like Spotify, youtube and Play you really don't need to store content. Obviously you need an internet connection or this approach makes the device next to useless, but I tend to only use mine at home via wifi.

Tiago
1st December 2014, 12:30
:eyebrow:
I never understand why people keep so many information in HDs.
I have a total of 1,5 GB and that's more then enough for anything i need. But, i do not keep films or MP3.
I just keep my documents and photos.
If i want to see a film, i go to cinema, rent it in my TV supply of just download it...
the same with games, after play it i don't keep it.
So, sure, anything below 5 GB is not enough to keep films, mp3 etc.... but my question is why keep all that stuff?? :huh2:

Demon Cleaner
2nd December 2014, 04:06
but my question is why keep all that stuff?? :huh2:
Once you get the collecting "fever", you can't stop anymore, hoarding would be a good word to use here :)

Harrison
2nd December 2014, 07:02
With media is the ability to have an instantly accessible collection of your whole library.

Until recently this wasn't as practical for film, but being able to instantly access a film and steam it to the tv is so much nicer than using discs.

I do however only keep films I will watch again, not everything I've seen. I have Sky On demand for all other films.

Demon Cleaner
2nd December 2014, 08:58
I delete most of the movies I watched, really good ones, I put in my movie archive.

Same with series, once watched, I delete them.

Kin Hell
8th December 2014, 12:56

ROFL! :lol:

I guess I should've mentioned 40Mb was a large hard drive in the good old days & you're packing 40TB with todays standards.... :lol:

Answering your following question, I have nearly 20TB around the home & Blu Ray movies fill it faster than u can spit. :eyebrow:

Harrison
9th December 2014, 11:41
So true. It is amazing how much affordable storage has expanded over the last 20 years.

I still remember getting a 300MB drive for my A600 in the day and wondering how I would ever fill it.

Stephen Coates
9th December 2014, 14:28
I still remember getting a 300MB drive for my A600 in the day and wondering how I would ever fill it.

Did you fill it? :p

Harrison
9th December 2014, 15:20
Nope. Whdload didn't exist then so even installing all of the games that allowed HD install, plus all the applications, and still had over 150MB free.

Tiago
10th December 2014, 10:15
My first A600 had a HD of 40mb, later i replace it by a new one, can't remember how much, but around 200mb... i never fill it with games, but i have a sound digitizer, and i recorded a lot sound in stereo 8 bits, so my HD was always on the limit. :D

Puni/Void
4th March 2017, 18:48
@Tiago

It was fun sampling back then. Remember we sampled sounds from movies (VHS), especially the one with Weird Al Yankovic, UHF or something.

Stephen Coates
5th March 2017, 11:56
I'm pleased to say that that 1TB drive I bought a while back is still only half full :). I reckon it'll take a while for me to fill it up completely.

My PowerBook on the other hand only has a 4GB drive which is a bit on the small side, and all the spare laptop drives I had were equally small. Fortunately someone on IRC offered me a spare 40GB drive to use in it :).

J T
5th March 2017, 20:48
Bouncing off the storage capacity limit is never fun, and yet both myself and Lady T seem to always be doing it on our phones and our computers. Google photos has helped me out a lot in this regard, the integration with Android works rather well. Less so on Lady T's iphone, but whatever

Harrison
6th March 2017, 13:05
Smartphones are the current worst device for storage issues. I'm forever having to manage the storage space on my phone and tablets.

It's amazing that Android devices can eat over 1GB of storage space in a couple of days just for cached files in apps. i have to manually use an app manager to see which apps have large caches and clear them. Google's own app store service likes to create a large one every time it updates apps, which goes against the need for more space to download and update apps. However the worst offenders are easily Facebook and Chrome, which combined can easily take up 1GB in cache space. Why can't Android force apps to flush their cache files on exit? And it isn't like they need to keep the cached files because things like logins are stored in a different data storage.

Another very annoying Android issue is using SD cards to expand space. You can move many apps to the SD card to free internal space, but when Android updates each app it reinstalls it on the internal storage, meaning you have to move it again! Very very annoying!!!

I do however only have a 16GB Samsung S5 with a 32GB SD card. When I'm due an upgrade this year I will ensure the new one has at least 32GB.