PDA

View Full Version : sending data and running on the amiga

gareth_2008
3rd April 2008, 22:46
hey im using a program called wartrans to send data to the amiga its a tad slow only about 100 bytes per second :( does any one know of a faster program? and if i send a game thats in .adf can i run it like that from the harddisk? cheers

Harrison
3rd April 2008, 22:57
The best program is from the commercial package, Amiga Forever by Cloanto, and it is called Amiga Explorer. It allows you to connect the Amiga to a PC via a null modem cable and then you can access the Amiga drives on the PC and the PC drives on the Amiga. But the best bit is from the PC you can access the Amiga's floppy drive so you can write an ADF directly back into a floppy disk over the connection.

I've PM'd you with some more details.

gareth_2008
3rd April 2008, 23:10
yeah i have seen that tryed to buy it but it all ways failes :thumbsdown2:

gareth_2008
4th April 2008, 08:58
thank you :) ! is there any way to run the games off of the amiga harddrive?

Harrison
4th April 2008, 09:37
There are ways to work with ADFs directly on the Amiga. Have a look on Aminet here (http://aminet.net/search?query=adf) to see what utilities are available that you can try. It is possible to mount an ADF on the Amiga as a virtual floppy disk but I've not tried this myself. Have a look through those Aminet ADF programs and try a few out.

The only issue with that method is that most game disks cannot be accessed from Workbench and will just appear as NDOS disks when you try.

The easiest solution to this problem is to use something called WHDLoad. This is a program that people write HD installers for to allow games, demos etc to be installed to HD that normally you cannot install.

The official WHDLoad website can be found at: http://www.whdload.de/

And to obtain a lot of games to use with it have a look at KillaGorilla's site found at: http://guildserver.co.uk/kgwhd/

As you have 3MB of ram in your A500 you should be able to run WHDLoad OK, but you won't be able to run newer games for the AGA machines (A1200) and some installers will need more ram than you have, or a faster CPU to work correctly. Also I'm not sure if it will work correctly with Workbench 1.3. In which case you would need to look at obtaining some 2.04 or 3.1 kickstart roms for your A500.

Buleste
4th April 2008, 09:42
You can always try find KG WHDload individually here. (http://www.whdownload.com/) Then you can pick and choose what you want to try.

Graham Humphrey
4th April 2008, 11:04
According to the docs, WHDLoad does require at least Kickstart 2 so unless you get some new ROMs as Harrison says, you're out of luck I'm afraid.

gareth_2008
4th April 2008, 12:07
According to the docs, WHDLoad does require at least Kickstart 2 so unless you get some new ROMs as Harrison says, you're out of luck I'm afraid.

most of the apps i have been looking at need at least 2.0 what is the newest workbench i can run on my a500 or witch is the best? can i just do like an install upgrade? cheers

Stephen Coates
4th April 2008, 12:15
Newest version you can run is 3.1, however in order to run Workbench 3.1, you will need to buy a 3.1 ROM to put inside the machine.

Same applies to 2.1 or 2.04. You will need a Kickstart 2 ROM in order to run Workbench 2.

Might just be best to look at AmigaKit/Vesalia/eBay and see if you ca get an A500 kickstart 3.1 ROM, and then buy a set of WB3.1 disks (alternatively we could copy the disks for you, but that is impossible with the ROM).

Graham Humphrey
4th April 2008, 15:51
Or you could just go the whole hog and treat yourself to an A1200...

Harrison
4th April 2008, 16:03
That is a very good point. You do seem very interested in exploring what you can get out of the Amiga and the A1200 would be the perfect Amiga to do this as it allows you to use modern IDE harddrives, compact flash cards etc... and they can be expanded far beyond their default state, adding much faster processors, 128MB+ of ram, even PPC and Amiga OS4.

gareth_2008
20th April 2008, 18:06
can the a500 games run on os4?

Graham Humphrey
20th April 2008, 19:30
Nope. Unless you run them through UAE (I assume you can get UAE for OS4?).

Stephen Coates
20th April 2008, 19:43
UAE is avaliable for OS4.

I think it is E-UAE.

Harrison
21st April 2008, 11:30
But, obviously the big advantage of upgrading a classic Amiga system (A1200) to run OS4 is that you can drop the system back to its original state to run older classic Amiga software. In contrast this isn't possible on a purely OS4 based system such as the Amiga One.