PDA

View Full Version : amiga harddrive

gareth_2008
3rd April 2008, 11:49
hey, whats the biggest size harddrive the amiga a500 will support? cheers

Buleste
3rd April 2008, 12:31
Depends on the OS and filesystem and ROM but i would be surprised if its bigger than 2gig due to hardware constraints as well. Having said that the greatest limitation on the size of HDD is due to what was built.

I stand corrected. I've just found this (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=405285) thread on another website that has a lot of info in it for you.

gareth_2008
3rd April 2008, 13:38
i wanted to use compact flash but dont know what size to go for as i have no idea what it will support

Buleste
3rd April 2008, 14:25
That would depend on your Kickstart and Workbench version AS standard i would say <4GB ut then TBH you don't need much bigger than that anyway.

Stephen Coates
3rd April 2008, 14:27
Compact Flash will be a bit tricky on an A500 because expansions like the A590 are either SCSI or some old form of IDE (I think). It would be possible to use Compact Flash with adaptor, but it would probably be easier to stick with a proper HD.

Harrison
3rd April 2008, 16:20
I agree. With the A600, A1200 and A4000 you can easily use compact flash to replace an HD, but with older Amigas like the A500 there was no harddrive supporting hardware built in as standard and post of the sidecar expansions are SCSI as Stephen just mentioned.

Buleste
3rd April 2008, 16:29
I don't have any experiance with a500's but from what the thread i linked to says

Originally Posted by Tuffy
So my question is: Is it possible to install "SCSI-IDE bridge and Compact Flash card" OR "SCSI-IDE bridge and IDE-HD's" to my beloved Amiga500+ using the GVP external HD and SCSI??

At least ACard adapters work with CF cards, apparently Yamaha adapter isn't as compatible.

You need SCSI-IDE bridge + IDE to CF adapter, CF card and power cable splitter (both ACard and CF-IDE adapter have "floppy drive" power connector).

Not sure if this is any help.

gareth_2008
3rd April 2008, 23:30
i have an SCSI drive on there at the mo only 20mb and a bit loud wanted to take it out and put the compact flash in there, looks like i also have the pins for an IDE cabel on the bored???

Harrison
4th April 2008, 00:14
According to info for your A590 it has DMA SCSI and ST-506 controllers built in. And as the ST-506 controller isn't a standard IDE controller I have no idea if you could install a compact flash card instead of an HD using it.

I did a quick google and according to some information I found the ST-506 interface was original designed by Seagate and was the first HD interface in the PC world, developed in 1980 and supporting 5MB HDs. :lol: So... I don't think it is going to work. But I could be wrong.

Stephen Coates
4th April 2008, 00:49
If you want more storage you might just be better off buying a bigger and quieter SCSI HD. I can't say which ones are best but I'm sure some of the newer ones will be quieter.