PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Amiga football game?

Puni/Void
7th March 2008, 20:24
Most of us have probably played a lot of different football games on the Amiga. There were many good titles to choose from, for example the Kick Off (except Kick Off 3) and Sensible Soccer series.

Which is your all-time favourite Amiga football game, and why?

Graham Humphrey
7th March 2008, 20:38
SWOS, no question. It just has everything and it still gets played by many people all these years on. And it's great pretending Norwich are a top-half Premier League side with some great players :lol:

On the management side I'd go with Championship Manager '93 - I've lost weeks to that game. Very addictive. And I won 13 league titles with Brentford, as you do.

Harrison
7th March 2008, 21:42
I will say SWOS as well. Before that came out it was KickOff 2, but once the first Sensible Soccer came out that was it. There was no better, and there still is no better football game for pure gaming enjoyment.

sarek2k
8th March 2008, 04:20
I liked Goal best but sensi/swos is still great even tho i didn't play swos much.

Buleste
8th March 2008, 09:39
Never could get the hang of SWOS. Always prefered the management games. Player Manager, Premier Manager, USM etc.

Tiago
9th March 2008, 22:26
"SWOS" and "International soccer"

Zetr0
10th March 2008, 06:48
football is great game to play with your mates, but a poor game to watch or play on your own!!

infact i find most footy games are IMHO, dire... with the exception of

SWOS... *awesome*
Kickoff 2... this was much better than the original, but lacking the intensity of SWOS

SpeedBall 2 (better than kickoff 2 :D)
Brutal Sports Football (okay not really football but attacking your best m8 with a chainsword is quite a wholesom act!!!!)

FIFA 97 on the SNES was good... but it like most EA games was lacking something ...

Buleste
10th March 2008, 10:00
The original FIFA was great on Megadrive but the Amiga conversion sucks big time. I know i was stupid enough to buy it.

Harrison
10th March 2008, 13:17
SNES and the first N64 versions of FIFA were very enjoyable, but still nowhere near as fun as SWOS.

Graham Humphrey
10th March 2008, 18:28
The only game that can beat SWOS is Pro Evo, IMO.

Zetr0
10th March 2008, 20:43
I think for me atleast the moment they took footy games to vectors and away from sprites, thats when i lost interest...

dont get me wrong i have played some nicely done 3d renditions of footy... but.... well lets be serious... why on earth would i want to aproximate footy with joypad, when i can do down the local sports club and jump in on a couple of 5 a side (which normally turns into 7 or 8 aside lol) its more fun, admitedly its a lot more effort but the reward is better..

I have the same problem with rugby computer/video games, infact i hate them, i hate watching it, and thats either league or union, However throw me in a team and i just LOVE to play the game.... yes sir indeedy!! absolutely!!!

I am thinking after loosing a few more pounds (like a shit load) i may try out for Norwich UEA rugby team..... ahhh i can dream....

but since imma ranting (my sincerest appologies) and for taking this off topic by mentioning another platform (SNES) other than amiga (again my deepest appologies) do you guys think in general theres a bit to much crap footy games out there, with what ever flava-footballer of the year endorsing it?

I am still to see the vaild differnece between PES2005/2006/2007.... there really isn't anything... infact for the most part since going 3D footy games are now in a rut and have been for the better part of 3 to 4 years... dont get me wrong the AI improvments have been gradual, as have the models... but in game play.... virtualy nothing has improved!

anyway thats my rant! sorry about that.

TiredOfLife
11th March 2008, 12:25
SWOS is pretty old now but still far and away the best footy game I've played.

v85rawdeal
13th March 2008, 18:35
Last football game I played was Matchday 2....

A long long time ago, when I was but a wee lad!

Demon Cleaner
17th March 2008, 07:32
Goal for me.

Sharingan
4th May 2008, 11:21
SWOS, obviously.

The Kickoff series always felt too 'floaty' to me.

There was this 3D footy game that was pretty good, too, but I can't quite remember its name. Microprose Soccer, maybe.

As for footy management games, Player Manager.

Graham Humphrey
4th May 2008, 11:35
3D game? There aren't too many 3D footy games on the Amiga... I Play 3D Soccer (http://hol.abime.net/2356) (what a silly name) perhaps? Can't have been Microprose Soccer as it's an overhead-viewed game.

Buleste
4th May 2008, 11:53
And also Microprose Soccer was designed by Sensible Software so is the precurser to Sensi Soccer and SWOS. Fifa was isometric but really blew chunks.

sarek2k
4th May 2008, 21:52
3D game? There aren't too many 3D footy games on the Amiga... I Play 3D Soccer (what a silly name) perhaps? Can't have been Microprose Soccer as it's an overhead-viewed game.

It was by simulondo :)

not sure which country it came from tho!
could use HOL to find out but then again maybe not ;)

goal for me all the way then sensi, sierra soccer, the last fifa i played and enjoyed was fifa 96 after that it was pure 3d shite all the way :(

And also Microprose Soccer was designed by Sensible Software so is the precurser to Sensi Soccer and SWOS. Fifa was isometric but really blew chunks.

Was that before they had formed sensible software hence having to find a publisher maybe?

Buleste
5th May 2008, 10:12
Sensible software designed the C64 version of Microprose Soccer and are credited with designing it the same way they are credited with Wizball unfortunatly both games were badly converted to the Amiga.

Look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensible_Software) for the softograpnhy of Sensi.

Demon Cleaner
5th May 2008, 14:45
And I won 13 league titles with Brentford, as you do.Brentford? I think I was at a tournament in Brentford for easter 1982, can't remember the name, it's near London. Their home team was Hutton Medway, is that Brentford?

Harrison
5th May 2008, 19:11
I think that might have been Brentwood, not Brentford?

Buleste
6th May 2008, 10:38
Brentford have a crap football team but i've never heard of Brentwood. I've taken Stafford Rangers and Accrington Stanley to the Premiership title and European Cup titles with Premier Manager 3.

Sharingan
24th May 2008, 13:26
About the 3D footy game I mentioned a few posts back, could it have been Striker (Rage Software)? I vaguely remember that being the one.