PDA

View Full Version : Breakpoint 2008 Invitation

Harrison
28th February 2008, 15:15
Breakpoint is upon us again soon and so the Invitation for this years 2008 event has been released.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=49753

It is a very polished and slick production.

The artwork is very pleasing, with some really nice vector artwork used, and I especially liked the end credits, using quite a simple 2D vector style, but then twisting it in a 3D axis, creating a subtle but very nice result. Something I will remember if I need to do some video titling work in the future.

I also liked the way the main demo groups were announced, but would have liked to see some motion on the screens, especially for the size of this production.

I would also liked to have seen some retro elements within it to keep it tied into the fact that C64 and Amiga are still a part of the scene and this party.

For me, I would give this a 7/10.

Puni/Void
2nd March 2008, 21:01
Sounds good. I'll have a look at it soon. :) While reading the info text, I noticed that the music was tracked by Chromag. He's a brilliant musician, so it will be interesting to hear the tune.

Harrison
3rd March 2008, 15:10
I liked the tune, although it was quite subtle and melodic, creating some atmosphere in the background, rather than something you start to enjoy. I think I would have preferred a slightly rougher sounding more industrial track for this production, when considering some of the effects and styles used.

Teho
3rd March 2008, 15:40
Invites are often some of the most polished and slick prods out there, and this was no exception. I really liked it. And personally I thought it did have some retro-vibes, as it featured several 2D artworks and even an endscroller, something you rarely see in today's productions. Most 2D art is reserved for diskmags or the biggest demos nowadays, as it's not that easy to find skilled artists willing to make art for demos (read: for free) anymore.

But yeah, I find invites are often some of my favourite productions because of their high production values, and also because they usually have this great, uplifting energy, for lack of a better description. Last year's invite for The Gathering (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=29893) is another great example.

Harrison
3rd March 2008, 15:48
The download for last year's invite for The Gathering is broken on Pouet. Did you know of any other places I can download it?

Teho
3rd March 2008, 15:59
I tried looking around a bit but all sources link to the Pouet download. Even Outrack's own site does. I guess the download link is only broken temporarily, so it might work if you try it a bit later. Or I could zip my copy of it and put it on the ftp for you?

Harrison
3rd March 2008, 18:50
That would be great if you could. It seems Pouet's content is often broken, which isn't good.

Teho
3rd March 2008, 22:16
Ok, it's up there now. It's true that Pouet often has bad links on it. I don't think there's any mechanism on there that checks for broken links, they depend on people reporting them. And most of them are caused by people not using scene.org to host their productions, but some other webspace they have available at the time. That's obviously the problem with this one, as the download links to a temp folder on Outrack's site. I bet the file has been moved to a new location or something.

Strange that they host the file themselves and don't link to it on their pages, but redirect people to Pouet instead.

Harrison
3rd March 2008, 23:18
Yeah, I thought that was a little odd too.