PDA

View Full Version : Wii modchip announced

Demon Cleaner
14th January 2007, 15:42
First Wii modchip was announced on 11.01.2007. The source of these news is very trustworthy. If there's something about or not, I will let you know in this thread.

J T
14th January 2007, 18:05
Oh sweet, I will be keeping an eye on this, eagerly.

Although, I'm loving the Wii a lot (Warioware is utterly brilliant, Zelda is incredible and even Red Steel is fun) and would be really wary about chipping it if there was even the slightest chance of ruining it. So I'll wait and watch for a while until many others have tried it ;)

cicobuff
14th January 2007, 18:33
I am even excited about the prospect of playing my gamecube backups on the Wii which dont currently work using the Action Replay/SD Gamecube card exploit that worked as a softmod on the Cube (although I chipped my cube).

PAL releases never took advantage of 480p, only US releases, and then the component cable of the Gamecube is ridiculously pricey....the ability to play US Gamecube games via the Wii with the component cable in 480p I cannot wait for someone to even hack that!...saying that though, just the standard display using a component cable for Gamecube games is still a darn sight clearer.

If there is to be a Wii Modchip though, I am worried about future Nintendo system updates, as long as it wont affect online play either like with the DS then great.

rayzorblue
14th January 2007, 20:42
Hmm not sure i would like to get the Wii chipped for the same reasons cicobuff mentioned, if it affected the updating of the firmware/software on the machine it could be disasterous, also ive never had a chipped console before so even if it was guarenteed not to affect it i probably still wouldnt consider getting it done.

J T
14th January 2007, 20:47
Exactly my feelings. As much as I want to play backups :evil: I don't want to risk losing out on things. Also, when things are this good, I don't mind paying to play and support the system/developers. I feel the same way about the DS, I will get a DS-X or something similar but will still buy the truly exceptional games.

I'm sure given time there will be a lot of modchips and methods for playing non-retail games on the Wii that will not interfere with anything else. Clever folks these hackers.

rayzorblue
14th January 2007, 20:56
Thats true plus i remember someone mentioning this in a different thread on here cant remember who sorry, but when you pay 35-40 quid for a game you wanna try and get into it and get the most you can for your cash, and like you say i like to pay for games i know i will like, although it would be nice if you got demo discs occasionally like back in the good old days, or where the DS is concerned if i didnt have to go 50 milesto a smaller city to find a download station :mad:

Harrison
15th January 2007, 12:53
For those of you worried about the modchip affecting future updates, I would say wait a bit until the mod chips for Wii mature. Early mod chip solutions are never perfect and revisions always appear as issues are discovered.

if they go about it the same as they have for previous systems then it shouldn't be a problem once the chips have been on the market for a while. The best Xbox mod chips can be disabled when going online so that Live cannot detect the system has be modded. And the best PS2 modchips only activate as the system boots a disc when it is needed to bypass the protection code. It then deactivates so it cannot be detected.

But on the whole soft mod solutions (if any exploits are discovered) are more likely to affect network updates, compared to a modchip. Modchips normally have flashable roms so when problems are found you can normally just download an update, burn it to disc and then boot it up in the console and flash the modchip with the newer version that fixes the issues.