PDA

View Full Version : Grid by Nature - Fantastic 40KB intro

Puni/Void
12th January 2007, 13:45
While I was uploading content for the main site, I stumbled upon an intro called Grid by Nature. It was released at the Mekka Symposium 1999 party and won the intro competition.

I had a look at it, and I didn't remember it as THAT good. It contains several routines in HAM8 mode, awesome 3D scenes and cool music. The samples for the music is actually generated through programming. Quite impressive!

The intro is available for download in the Demo Section. It should also be visible on the main site as one of the newest additions. It should work perfectly via WinUAE, just remember to put the amount of fast-ram to 8MB. ;)

Have you seen Grid by Nature, and if so, what is your impression of it?

Harrison
12th January 2007, 14:58
I will watch this later tonight and then post what I thought of it. Looking forward to seeing how good it is. :)

LowercaseE
12th January 2007, 15:18
Sounds pretty cool, I'll check it out when I get home from work. Thanks for the heads up!

Harrison
12th January 2007, 19:03
I've just watched this intro and its really good. Especially when you stop and think this is only in 40k and this 3D is being generated in an Amiga, a system panned at the time for not being able to shift 3D texture mapped images due to it's Amiga's planar graphics method of display.

The music is great too, and I would never have guessed it was completely computer generated without any samples and just audio routines. Just goes to show what can be done if you know how.

Good Amiga demos just show how lazy a lot of system coders are these days. Imagine if coders today squeezed as much out of current machines per kilobyte as they did back in the Amiga days. The end results would be even more amazing than anything we are seeing on next gen machines.

I've jut written a little review for this demo on the main site too. :) Will you be adding any proper reviews to some of the demos soon PG?

Any 4K intros you can recommend for me to watch next? ;)

Puni/Void
13th January 2007, 11:22
It was great that you enjoyed Grid by Nature. It is a great into for sure, and quite impressive when it comes to the 3D scenes and that everything is generated through code.

I will for sure start adding reviews to the Demo Section, but during the last weeks I've been focusing on adding productions instead. There are well over 300 prods available now, so I guess some reviews should be in order. :) Will see what I can do. Hope you will add some more reviews as well.

I have many productions to recommend. I will add a few this evening I think. I will add a 64KB by Push Entertainment called Humus 2 and some other stuff. Push Entertainment really pushes the Amiga to its limits, with amazing 3D scenes. I have shown the prods by this group to friends that mostly uses PC, and their jaws literally drops to the ground. :thumbs: Anyway, will add some good prods tonight (especially 4KB's as you asked for) and then post info about them on the forum, so you can easily find them.

I couldn't agree more about coders on modern systems. Like you say, if they had used every resource available, programmed in Assembler, they could have made some stunning stuff. :)

Harrison
13th January 2007, 11:53
Cool. I look forward to seeing the demos. :)

Another thing about the Amiga conpared to more recent systems is that coders hung on to the system a long time after it was supercided by better technology and continued to squeeze everything they could from the system, making it do things no one thought possible. Todays systems are disgarded as soon as the next best thing comes along. I personally think they would still be a lot of life in the last generation of consoles, but now all three next gen consoles are released developers are already abandoning the last generation. It's mad considering the size of the userbase, especially for the PS2, when compared to the Next Gen systems, although the number of Wiis sold to date is quite impressive.

Puni/Void
13th January 2007, 20:41
I've now uploaded two 4KB intros by Push Entertainment to the main site. The intros are called Humus and Humus 2. The first mentioned won the Assembly 2000 combined 4KB competition. The second mentioned won the Assembly 2001 combined 4KB competition. Both are worth a look, so please have a look. :) Anyway, some of these prods can be a bit tricky, so here is a few links to videos of them at Google video:

Humus (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8595489944822850056&q=push+entertainment)

Humus 2 (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8595489944822850056&q=push+entertainment)

Dolphin's Dream 64KB (ftp://de.aminet.net/pub/aminet/pix/mpg/Push-DD.mpg)

Dolphin's Dream links to Aminet

Mental Demo (http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2003/assembly03/demo/push-mental.avi)

Mental is from Scene.org

These should all be well worth seeing. Have fun! There are of course a ton of other top notch 4KB's, 64KB's and demos. Will have to do some thinking and post some more links soon. ;)

Harrison
16th January 2007, 02:00
I've just watched Humas and have to say it is quite amazing for a 4k Amiga intro. Some of the effects are brilliant. Especially the 3D water droplet part.

Oh, and I ran them via emulation rather than watched the videos as I always think any Amiga production looks and sounds 100 times better when running itself and not just a video of it playing. I got them to work quite easily using WinUAE settings for KS3.1, WB3.1, 2MB chip + 8MB fast, 68040 CPU.

Demon Cleaner
16th January 2007, 12:17
I've just watched Humas and have to say it is quite amazing for a 4k Amiga intro. Some of the effects are brilliant. Especially the 3D water droplet part.I totally agree with you, but nonetheless I don't like this kind of demos, you know, I'm the retro man ;)

Harrison
16th January 2007, 12:44
:) So you would prefer something old school pushing the original A500 unexpanded hardware to the limit?

Demon Cleaner
16th January 2007, 13:49
Yes, definetely, I like to see the old routines, and I also like the old typical sound and music.

Teho
16th January 2007, 14:29
Good man! :thumbs: My feelings exactly. The A500 period of the scene was definitely the best times, with 1992 - 1993 being the best years of them all.

Puni/Void
21st January 2007, 11:20
Teho wrote:

Good man! My feelings exactly. The A500 period of the scene was definitely the best times, with 1992 - 1993 being the best years of them all.

Yeah, that was some great years. Don't forget 1994 though with Nexus 7 by Andromeda for example. One of the best demos ever made in my opinion.

I''ve taken the liberty to start adding a bit older demos to the main site now. Have put on Flower Power by Anarchy, Spasmolytic by Spaceballs and Total Destruction by Crionics amongs others. Hope these will fetch your interest. Flower Power is a true classic and is well worth watching. Will add some more older stuff from the late 80's and the beginning of the 90's soon.

LowercaseE
21st January 2007, 14:19
I finally checked out that Grid demo and it was amazing! It really is mind boggling that it's only 40k??!?!? Checked out the others posted above too and they were great!

Puni/Void
21st January 2007, 20:36
Yes, it is impressive what they can manage to cram into 40KB. It is also impressive to see all those 4KB intros. I mean, 4KB is nearly nothing, and yet they make such prods contain several effects in full 3D with textures. They often top this by including music as well, which makes it totally crazy. Who could believe it was possible to do so much with only 4KB or 40KB?