PDA

View Full Version : Video to VGA

JLPedro
28th January 2008, 17:32
This might be a dumb question, but, i've seen on ebay and other places this piece of hardware : Geniatech V2VPro Video to VGA Up-Scaling Converter/Switcher at a price of 41usd plus shipping (12usd to portugal) aprox 35 euros, and asking the manufacturer if i could connect a 15,75khz vga signal and would it convert it to the vga 31khz of my LCD, the response was that it woud work. If so why do whe need scandoublers?? Am i missing something?!?

This is the converter:
http://stores.ebay.com/HDTVonPC_Video-Converter_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ8711130QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Zetr0
28th January 2008, 17:35
@JLPedro

Hello there, a VGA Up-Scaling Converter / Switcher is in fact a scan doubler, as you have noted it takes a 15kHz signal and converts it to 31kHz (or more as the case maybe)

I will suggest caution though as some cheap units do not de-interlace (cure the flicker) from interlaced screen and you are left with a mess!

I would suggest the following to anyone.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/External-TV-Tuner-Box-For-LCD-TFT-CRT-1440-x-960-LT280_W0QQitemZ170175552560QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3761QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

I have one of these and its clearly awesome, I had a wonderfull stable picture from my amiga (in 1280x512x8 super hires laced) scaled nicely on my 42" Plasma in 16:9, also on my 19" AOC monitor in 1280x1024x32

its great :)

JLPedro
28th January 2008, 17:47
Humm, even cheaper! what do you use to conect your amiga to the video converter?

The one you sugested states it might not suport pal-b or pal-g (portugal standard), does this mean i could not conect it to my tv?.

Zetr0
28th January 2008, 17:48
the unit has 4 possible inputs

SVideo
VGA
RF
Composite

I have tried the RF / Composite and Svideo all are great, Svideo being almost indistinguishable from RGB, I am yet to try the VGA to see if it can handle 15kHz input.

JLPedro
28th January 2008, 17:52
Ops, the price is in British pounds, it's a bit more expensive than the v2pro, and both have the vga in, does the cable comes included or is it easy to buy one (vga in, seems a dim socket).

Zetr0
28th January 2008, 18:04
yes 13 pin dim, not all that uncommon, i think i have a couple i got free with graphics cards LOL.

I am unsure of the v2pro, i had considered this unit a while back but when instead with the link i put up... do you know if the v2pro de-interlaces the image and then scans them up ?

if it does then, well the argument is a mute point as they would both be doing the same thing.

@JLPedro
just reading up the specs of the unit you posted

Features:

Plug& Play installation, no software or driver required.
Support all video formats in the world (NTSC/PAL/SECAM...)
Supports full function OSD (On Screen Display).
Versatile resolutions: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024@60 and 75Hz
Compatible for Multi Signal inputs: Video, S-Video, PC (bypass).
OSD control menu:50-to-60HZ frame rate conversion, Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, hue control, video standard.
Up-scaling conversion
3DMotion-adaptive interfiled de-interlacing.

so yes it does de-interlace the picture... this is a pretty good price for this type of unit... i will certainly consider one of these for my next project...

a good find indeed!

JLPedro
28th January 2008, 18:08
Yes you probably have those cables from gfx cards but they are 13 pin out to composite or svideo, what we need is vga out to 13 pin dim... and i don't think i've ever seen one of them...

grinder88
28th January 2008, 18:21
you wud be hard pushed to find one, even on the web. sorry mate :(

JLPedro
28th January 2008, 18:38
Ok, i've brought one :acclaim: for 50,94usb (34€), when it arrives i will test it and post the results here. Thanks for the help!

But returning to the original question, if it actualy (will have to wait and see) receives the 15,75khz vga signal and converts it to a vga 31khz or more with deinterlacing, why do whe keep seeng scandoublers on ebay seeling for $$$$? There must be some diferences for shure! anyone knows what they be?

Zetr0
28th January 2008, 19:23
@JLPedro

I agree it seems crazy as to why people would pay hundreds of pounds on an internal scan doubler / flicker fixer when £30 would do, and a lot more too.

Harrison
28th January 2008, 22:46
The internal Amiga specific scan doublers/flicker fixers just seem to offer a more specific and neater solution as far as I can see. Although do Amiga ones output at 31KHz or 60KHz?

Is there any actual advantage to an internal flicker fixer, such as the one Sarek has, Compared to these units? Can it do anything these can't?

Zetr0
29th January 2008, 11:08
if anything the internal one would look (subjectively) nicer inside the case, but arguably there is heat to consider, these units whop out a fair wattage of heat, and with them being clip on, its a little concerning...

I have two Scandy internal SD/FF units, and i tihnk i may just sell it on Amibay for £45 ish +P'n'P, still undecided....

insofar as features go, the internal one only scandouble non-31kHz images, so super 72 and a coupe of other productivity based screens would be just passed though, those 15kHz interlaced screens are de-laced and then sent at 31kHz.

Also a concerning feature of these internal scan doublers is this rather strange instance where it wont work on one A1200 but it will another, (i tihnk this has something to do with the motherboard revisions) thre was some dicussion on the EAB about this, but we shall see... I can honestly say though that i have tried my internal SD/FF and on 2 of my a1200's it does not work... strange eh? (tested without adapters just basic 1200)

These external devices can also upscale from other sources and some have a TV RF 100 channel tuner with Picture in Picture function as well as combined stereo! for £35 you cannot go wrong, these internal ones, on the oter hand, i have seen sell for some stoopid money...

JLPedro
31st January 2008, 10:20
About that vga cable: looks like it's included vga -> 15 pin Din :thumbs:

http://services.nirvanix.com/FreeDrive/fd_180167/CBMAmiga/converted/161348_small.jpg?disposition=inline

Zetr0
31st January 2008, 10:57
I think that unit should make you quite pleased indeed :D

please let me know how it gets on and of course post picies... I likie hardware pron :D

Harrison
31st January 2008, 11:17
I will also be interested to see how you get on with that unit. I think we should include these alternative units in the site's hardware section once it's up and running. Definitely of interest to a lot of Amiga users as most now only have access to LCD monitors and TVs.

JLPedro
6th March 2008, 21:58
Recieved the unit today (finaly! :cool:), were's wath came in the box:

http://forum.classicamiga.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=159&stc=1&d=1204883956

Did some testing and for starting the vga in does'n scandoubles the 15khz frequency so the vga in opcion is only usable on Workbench with modes of 31khz (multisync). As far as the other options (composite and svideo) scrolling in games and colors are very good both TFT or CRT.

http://forum.classicamiga.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=160&stc=1&d=1204883956

Image quality is very diferent on tft and crt, crt is mutch better, better colors scrooling and less blur, using vga-in with multisync modes 640x480 non laced image is almost clean of interference with is very good:

http://forum.classicamiga.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=161&stc=1&d=1204883956

So, some of my questions were clarified, an internal scandoubler/flikerfixer is better solution than this type of vgabox, but for the price is a very good deal and with a crt monitor image is very good (specialy with svideo in games and vga in workbench, you can switch in a click the two conections).

I will do some more testing and gamming. :D

J T
7th March 2008, 14:20
Recieved the unit today (finaly! :cool:), were's wath came in the box:

http://forum.classicamiga.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=159&stc=1&d=1204883956

Sorry to derail slightly (but that's what I do) - that candle on a plate thingy in the top left corner looked, at first glance, like an awesome tricorner/pirate style hat. Maybe because the picture is a bit dark and I was only looking quickly.

JLPedro
7th March 2008, 19:38
;) and the vga adaptor didnt came on the box... i didnt have muth time to details... :rolleyes:

Zetr0
7th March 2008, 22:35
@JLPedro

Hello there, I am glad that you are happy with the results, I have a slightly different model and I am very impressed with it.

Have you tried the RGB to VGA and then VGA to the device, i am curious if it up-scans the VGA signal.

JLPedro
8th March 2008, 21:05
I tried the RGB to VGA and then VGA to the device, but as i was afraid the vgabox doens't scandoubles de 15khz signal (it only does dypass of the signal and doesn't do any convertion) convertion only ocures on Svideo and Composite. As a result: using vga adaptor the signal remais 15khz and no flikerfixed. :no:

Zetr0
8th March 2008, 21:58
@JLPedro

I got lucky last year to assist in developing SVIDEO from Amiga RGB

theres more in this thread here at the EAB http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=30752

and here is another thread that maybe of interest

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32807

I am a little behind schedule though.

Puni/Void
27th April 2008, 12:02
Any news on this project, Zetro? Sounded very interesting. :)

Zetr0
27th April 2008, 23:55
@P G

well at the moment, i am at a stall block, i need to save some cash to one side to get some boards made, as the ones i have here, the copper just lifts off the moment any heat is applied! :(

its a waiting game unfortunately.

I will say that i will be doing an SVideo hack for A600 / A1200 picture how too soon, as well as the well known 2mb chip hack for the A600 from A1k.org

:) so lots to look forward too..

Puni/Void
28th April 2008, 17:50
@Zetro

I will say that i will be doing an SVideo hack for A600 / A1200 picture how too soon, as well as the well known 2mb chip hack for the A600 from A1k.org

Excellent stuff. Looking forward to see some more info on these. :thumbs: