PDA

View Full Version : Pager feature added to the forum

Harrison
17th December 2006, 01:34
As requested, a pager system has now been added to the forum. I hope you all find this new feature very useful.

note: Instant message popup has been disabled as this can cause excessive server load and resource usage. New pager messages will instead popup when your browser page is refreshed. It is a small price to pay to reduce unnecessary slowdown to the forum.

Demon Cleaner
18th December 2006, 13:27
As we had the opportunity to test this yesterday, I have to say that this is a very nice feature. Some problems can then be solved immediately via the pager feature.

J T
18th December 2006, 17:21
Nice, I like the pager feature. Useful.

LowercaseE
21st December 2006, 12:16
This is a cool feature, works great too.

Stephen Coates
21st December 2006, 20:25
It is a nice feature. There are a few things about it which I always find annoying, like always having to go into someones profile in order to send them a Pager, but other than that, it is good.

Demon Cleaner
21st December 2006, 20:42
It is a nice feature.Finally YOU find something nice.

There are a few things about it which I always find annoyingCried out loud too early, darn!

Harrison
22nd December 2006, 00:15
There are a few things about it... like always having to go into someones profile in order to send them a Pager.

:thwack: No you don't!

Go to the Quick Link Menu and select the option Open vB Pager. This opens a popup window listing who is online. You just tick the members you wish to page, click the page button and type your message. No need to visit any profiles at all.

Try using the forum Steve. I bet there are a lot of features you've not discovered yet.

Stephen Coates
22nd December 2006, 09:25
I kow how to open the pager!

But that method isn't much good for pagering people who arn't on the forum though!

(And don't tell me it isn't possible to send a pager message to someone who isn't online because I have done it many times on another forum)

J T
22nd December 2006, 10:28
Eh, but if someone is online, why not send a PM, they will still be alerted by a pop-up and your message won't be so restricted in length?

So when is the forum going fully live and public, linked from the main site?

Harrison
22nd December 2006, 11:23
But that method isn't much good for pagering people who arn't on the forum though!

As JT said, what's the point in doing that? The PM system is for sending proper messages. The Pager system is for quickly sending an instant message to someone else who is online at that time. Otherwise there would be little point in having both systems running on the site?! :huh:

So when is the forum going fully live and public, linked from the main site?

All the actual functionality is in place and tested for bugs on the forum now, so it is just finishing off the graphics for the template, then it can be fully live and public.

The only bits of the template I want to make sure are in place to begin with are the Amiga Ball forum graphics to replace the vB default ones and the new classicamiga Forum banner logo. I will hopefully have the time to do that today, then I will link the new forum to the proper url. :thumbs:

There are a lot of other template changes I wish to make but I can introduce those later. I've already designed the full look of the finished design in Photoshop, it just needs to be worked into the forum templates when I get the time to be able to work on the style sheets and templates themselves. There are also similar design updates to the main site that will be done at the same time.

Some other stuff will be introduced later to the forum such as the Quiz system, but I'm waiting for an updated version of that to be released first that directly supports vB 3.6.4 (as the current version works but has a few bugs) so that will come later once it is live.