PDA

View Full Version : Amiga Future

Puni/Void
20th January 2008, 19:04
Are any of you subscribers of the Amiga Future magazine, or have any of you read it? If yes, is it a good read? I've been thinking of trying it out, as I miss reading such magazines.

Graham Humphrey
20th January 2008, 21:25
Yes it is a good magazine, though I'm biased as I'm in it ;)

TiredOfLife
21st January 2008, 00:25
Where exactly?

Graham Humphrey
21st January 2008, 08:19
In the new issue (70), I've got a preview of a game called Halloween Nightmare on page 18, and a review of iGame on page 28.

Stephen Coates
21st January 2008, 12:28
My Total Amiga subscription was carried over to Amiga Future for 2 issues, but due to the very high price of the subscription, I have not renewed it yet, and have missed the last two issues. I will have to order them from amigakit or similar as I would like to read them.

I thought Total Amiga was slightly better than Amiga Future (Total Amiga tended to make less spelling mistakes (I know AF is translated from german but I would have thought they would have got an english person to check it over) and the total amiga website was way better), but AF has had some very good content, and that is what matters. And there is a cover disk, which TA lacks, but I havn't had any of the cover disks so I don't really know what's on them.

Harrison
21st January 2008, 13:29
I just think it's great that they managed to continue an Amiga magazine for this long. I've not purchased any myself as I tend to only be interested in the more retro classic Amiga range and software, and am not so interested in current Amiga productivity software, although it is always interesting to see what's happening.

Puni/Void
6th April 2008, 12:28
Thanks for the input on Amiga Future guys.

As it happens, I decided to purchase an issue of this mag a while ago, along with some other Amiga items. I really enjoyed reading an Amiga magazine again, so it wasn't long before I started subscribing. Now I'm looking forward to the upcoming issue arriving in my mailbox. :)

Puni/Void
5th May 2009, 20:20
Yes! A new issue of Amiga Future is out. :) Probably going to get it in the mail in a couple of days. Any one else waiting for it to arrive?

Stephen Coates
5th May 2009, 20:53
My subscription expired in 2007 and I am still yet to get a new one. The expiration notice is still pinned on my notice board.

I wouldn't mind renewing it, but I have had a few more important things to spend money on lately.

Graham Humphrey
5th May 2009, 21:23
Yes! A new issue of Amiga Future is out. :) Probably going to get it in the mail in a couple of days. Any one else waiting for it to arrive?

Yep, should be here soon. Also looking for something interesting to review for the next issue but nothing much is about at the moment...

burns flipper
2nd September 2009, 10:24
Code Name Hell Squad is free on the CD of Amiga Future 80 (http://www.vesalia.de/e_af80.htm)!

Puni/Void
13th September 2009, 18:35
It sure is. :) Great game and great mag!

Btw.. Maybe we could pool some cash and put in an advert for Classicamiga.com in the mag?

Harrison
13th September 2009, 19:21
It would be great to get an advert for CA into the magazine, and anywhere else we could think of. However I have a few plans for the site before we do consider an advert.

BTW, did you know that Andreas Magerl of Amiga Future pays to advertise on CA on the main site home page, plus a news item for each new issue. Not too much, but it helps go towards the monthly server costs a bit.

I am also in regular contact with Andreas Magerl and he was telling me the other day that sales of the English edition of AF are not that great compared to the German version of the magazine. To the point that in the future he may consider canceling the English version of the magazine. If this happened it would be very sad for us.

Graham Humphrey
14th September 2009, 10:29
Oh really?

I really hope that doesn't happen :( that would mean there would be no English-language Amiga magazine left (as far as I am aware). It would be a great shame.

Puni/Void
15th September 2009, 19:51
Oh really?

I really hope that doesn't happen :( that would mean there would be no English-language Amiga magazine left (as far as I am aware). It would be a great shame.

A great shame indeed. I challenge other Amiga freaks to subscribe to Amiga Future. It's not very expensive and you'll be supporting the last English-language mag left. Besides, it's a great read! Come on guys, you know you can do it! ;)

Ghost
16th September 2009, 22:54
Its well intended but I mostly by computer magazines for game news, previews and reviews, not technical facts.
And face it, barely anyone develops games these days anymore for Amigas, even those well intended teams who appeared last year haven't updated their sites in months.

demusse
17th September 2009, 15:34
I buy the mag one at the time. Back in the day i used to buy CU and became a subsciber, same with Amiga Format an Amiga Active. Each time after a few months the mags got cancelled...and all i got was a refund, some issues of Linux Format and Digital...

So i'm a bit hesitant to subscribe again!

About the mag... it's ok but if you remember the glossy and abundant lay-out of the old mags you will be disappointed though...

If they cancel the english version of Amiga Future i will buy the german issue... we belgians are polyglots ;)

There are plenty of sites still dedicated to the wonderfull Amiga so i won't miss a mag to much, i guess.

Harrison
17th September 2009, 16:45
I never subscribed to any of the Amiga magazines. Instead buying them from the news agents each month. It was nice to be in the shop and look through the many Amiga publications that existed at the time and pick a couple to buy. It was quite an expensive hobby even from the magazine side of things for me as each month I would normally buy Amiga Format, Cu Amiga, Amiga Computing and AUi. With AUi and Cu Amiga being my 2 favourites. And quite often I would end up buying others as well such as Amiga Action, Amiga Power, Edge, Games Master... and many more.

Phantom
10th April 2010, 15:12
Just to clarify something. Amiga Future is doing well, even in sales, even in English version (not what Andreas wanted though, but not entirely so bad as it looks), so there's no reason to afraid of cutting the English version of the magazine for the time being.

It's really good to subscribe to the only english printed Amiga magazine nowadays, it will help everybody to move forward and see a better and more colorful(?) magazine in the future (that's hard to achieve, but you never know).

I don't want to hear it's expensive; yes it's expensive compared to other magazines, but I've seen people spending a lot of euros purchasing 15yrs-old hardware for their Amiga computers, so 60 euros for an annual subscription to the only Amiga printed magazine isn't so bad, innit?

And yes, Graham reviews are really nice, you HAVE to read them in every issue.:thumbs:

Graham Humphrey
10th April 2010, 21:29
Thanks for the comments Phantom (and no I didn't pay him for it) ;)

I've got two more reviews coming up but sadly I appeared to have just missed the deadline for the next issue (due to being unwell I didn't get them done when I intended to) so I won't be in the next issue at all which is a little frustrating.

Harrison
13th April 2010, 11:37
Just to clarify something. Amiga Future is doing well, even in sales, even in English version (not what Andreas wanted though, but not entirely so bad as it looks), so there's no reason to afraid of cutting the English version of the magazine for the time being.

That is good to know. I've only been going on the email conversations I've had with Andreas over the last couple of years about the magazine, and his personal worries that the English version's circulation was falling and it might not be cost effective to continue it.

So Phantom, what is your involvement with the magazine?

Phantom
13th April 2010, 12:37
I actually write reviews Dave, mostly game reviews. 2-3 reviews in every issue.:)

Harrison
13th April 2010, 12:59
Oh, nice. I didn't know that. How long have you been involved?

I've never had chance to get my hands on a copy of the magazine, but keep meaning to try to. Never have enough money spare for a subscription each time I consider it.

Phantom
13th April 2010, 13:01
I've started to write at the end of 2008. I like it. :)

Graham Humphrey
13th April 2010, 13:02
I actually write reviews Dave, mostly game reviews. 2-3 reviews in every issue.:)

Cool! What reviews did you write for the current issue? There is no hiding place ;)

Phantom
13th April 2010, 13:15
Hahaha, sure Graham. :thumbs:

The May/June issue will have FishFilletsNG and Frotz reviews.

Graham Humphrey
13th April 2010, 13:18
Well I'll look forward to reading them then :)

Phantom
13th April 2010, 13:21
Well I'll look forward to reading them then :)

Thanks. Don't forget that my native language isn't english, but I try struggle to write a proper and nice review, easy and fun to read. I also try to avoid using the same words everytime. :thumbs:

Harrison
13th April 2010, 13:28
I understand what you mean about using the same words everytime. It is very hard, especially when reviewing things of similar genre or style.

And don't worry about your native language not being English. I've never had any issues with anything you write.

Phantom
13th April 2010, 14:09
I understand what you mean about using the same words everytime. It is very hard, especially when reviewing things of similar genre or style.

And don't worry about your native language not being English. I've never had any issues with anything you write.

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately not everybody thinks the same with you. :)

Puni/Void
7th May 2010, 22:01
Received the latest issue of Amiga Future today. It featured an interview with Hyperion and an update on the progress with the X1000. An interesting read. Get the mag while you can! :cool:

Phantom
7th May 2010, 22:26
Waiting for the current issue to arrive (as always).:)

Phantom
10th May 2010, 15:08
Received today. Time for reading.:)

Graham Humphrey
10th May 2010, 15:12
Got mine last Friday.

Nice reviews Phantom!

Phantom
10th May 2010, 15:18
Thanks Graham. :thumbs:

You were absent from this current issue :(, I hope that you will come back with a nice review in the next one.

I'm currently write reviews for SRB2 Riders and FreeDink.

What about you?

Graham Humphrey
10th May 2010, 17:01
Yeah I did write a couple of small reviews for a couple of programs (can't remember what they are off-hand) but I was ill when I was originally due to write them and by the time I submitted them I missed the deadline for this issue. They'll be in the next issue though, and would like to review something else but new games and programs for OS3/AGA seem to be thin on the ground right now...

Phantom
7th November 2011, 17:01
It's really good to subscribe to the only english printed Amiga magazine nowadays, it will help everybody to move forward and see a better and more colorful(?) magazine in the future (that's hard to achieve, but you never know).

Actually I don't tend to quote myself, but it happened! Amiga Future will be published in full color from the new year, that means #94 - January/February 2012 issue. :)

I believe that many new subscribers will take place with this one.

Tiago
8th November 2011, 12:26
Yes, i remember they talked about it some time ago (last release?). It will be cool.
I had the oportunity to interview for my magazine the editor Andreas Magerl and he look like a fine person.
I wish them the best luck with the "new" magazine.

Harrison
8th November 2011, 12:37
A full colour version would be great. Would definitely attract more people I hope.

I know for a time he was struggling to keep the magazine going and was considering getting rid of the English version, and just continuing with the German only version. I'm glad he didn't do this and hope a full colour English edition does get made.

I do think he needs to explore a digital release alongside the printed one. I know he already produced PDF copies later for previous issues, but digital magazine publishing is really starting to take off for tablets and it is going to end up being the main distribution for magazines in the future. I'm all for digital editions too because it removed the physically problems of storing magazines you wish to keep, and makes it really easy to store a full archive of your favourite magazine for the future.

Phantom
8th November 2011, 13:20
Actually I believe the opposite. The digital release will definetely kill the printed one, especially if you have to pay for it too, which is normal if they are going to be launched the same date (both digital and printed copy).

Even though, I will stay away from any digital releases as well as PDFs. I don't like this 'new' and 'modern' tactic to read my magazines only on the computer. I prefer the real thing, which you can easily read it everywhere you want. The movement you do when changing pages etc won't be the same in a fake digital copy. And I will 'save' (or better protect) my eyes from the monitor too. A digital and every digital copy are fakes for me, they are just not real, they are just binary numbers and nothing more. You have the feeling that you actually don't hold something, but you cheat/prevent yourself of doing so.

Harrison
8th November 2011, 13:35
I know what you mean and agree. Printed Magazines and books will never be fully replaced by digital version as the physical nature of handling them and turning the pages cannot be replaced. Also you can't beat printed pages for quickly scanning content and moving through a book or magazine, although being able to perform word searches on digital versions is a huge bonus, as is the ability to instantly look up the meaning of a word within an ebook on an e-reader.

I also prefer to read magazines in physical form, but prefer to have them in digital form to archive and keep for referring back to later. It is hard to store all the real magazines for reference. I therefore would like to see magazines offering buyers the ability to download a digital version for keeping. Maybe just for subscribers as they could then track who can obtain the digital copies to try and stop people spreading them freely online that can really hurt publishers. If digital copies had a reader's personal subscription ID embedded within it that would help prevent them sharing it online.

One one digital format i think does work well is ebooks. Using a Kindle or similar device to read novels and other text only books is great and easily replaces real books. Where I think it still doesn't work as well is for larger scale reference books with images. I recently got hold of a great Photography book in ebook format, and whilst the text is just as informative and good to read, the book just doesn't work because it has lost its formatting and so I will be buying the original printed version.

I do hate reading on a computer screen, but on portable devices like ebook readers and tablets I think it works well.